Old 09-30-2010, 08:38 AM   #1  
All power is from within

S/C/G: 192/190/160

Height: 5'6

Default Induction: Question about Coffee

This is Day 4 on Induction. I want to know if I've stalled my fat burning switch at all by consuming coffee that has caffine in it. Yesterday I had a 16 oz cup and today I had a 20oz cup. (I have a 7 month old at home and sometimes she just doesn't sleep.)

I also had 1 bite of a chicken nugget from chik-fil-a last night.

Otherwise I have been following the rules of induction to a T.

Any advice is welcome.

Thank you :-)
onelife2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:15 AM   #2  
Livin' La Vida Low Carb!

S/C/G: 350/ticker/200

Height: 5'6"

I have 1 cup of coffee a day [regular, not decaf] and I haven't noticed a stall at all. Just be careful with what goes in the coffee - flavorings or milk - those have carbs. Cream is also limited to 3tbsp per day so if you use more in your coffee, that might cause a stall - but I'm only guessing on that one.
Simona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:25 AM   #3  
All power is from within

S/C/G: 192/190/160

Height: 5'6

Thanks for the reply Simona!! I feel better knowing that. I haven't used any flavorings or milk in the coffee, just a teaspoon of the powder creme when had no carbs or sugar in it, and about 3 packets of splenda.

I'm excited to know that the switch should've happened by now since it takes 2 days for your body to use up all its glucose energy! Now I can really remain focused and motivated since my body is starting to burn fat for energy!
onelife2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:35 AM   #4  

Height: 5'5"

One - dont forget to count each packet of splenda as 1 carb. Some find the fake sweenters slow them down so if you stall I would try getting rid of the splenda before getting rid of the coffee!
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:28 PM   #5  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I use Sugar Twin because I don't like the taste of Splenda and it only has half a carb a packet. They also make a liquid version that is 0 carb as well. I don't know if it's available outside of Canada though.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:02 AM   #6  
Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 249/ticker/179

Height: 5'11"

I have always enjoyed coffee in the morning (not decaf) and it never affected my weight loss. ( I started Atkins at 250)

The newest Atkins book also cites some studies about caffeine actually helping with fat loss now.

I don't think a cup or two would hurt... but that's been my experience. YMMV.
Glamazon08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:54 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

I drink peppermint tea, which I think is caffeinated. I think some people get cravings from caffeine and that's why it's not recommended. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:26 AM   #8  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsy View Post
I think some people get cravings from caffeine and that's why it's not recommended. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
Dr. Atkins wrote in the book how caffeine can cause blood sugar spikes therefore causing cravings. That being said, I avoid caffeine
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:29 AM   #9  
Livin' La Vida Low Carb!

S/C/G: 350/ticker/200

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
Dr. Atkins wrote in the book how caffeine can cause blood sugar spikes therefore causing cravings. That being said, I avoid caffeine
I read that too. It doesnt happen with me [thank goodness] unless I put sweetener in my coffee. If I just take it with cream, I'm fine. I can't have sweetener at all - in anything, that'll cause cravings.

Mind you, I only drink 1 cup of coffee per day, and that's only Monday - Friday. I never drink it at home on the weekend. I don't even own a coffee maker anymore.
Simona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:06 AM   #10  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

That used to happen to me, but since I've learnt to control my eating a lot better the coffee doesn't affect me that way anymore, the combination of eating bad and drinking coffee was horrible though. I think it's because my body made a deal with me to let me have coffee worry free just as long as I keep giving it coffee hehe.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote