Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-28-2010, 12:30 AM   #1  
Alli

S/C/G: 230/195/165

Height: 5'6

Default Exercise without cardio?

Hi everyone,

For almost all of my workouts, I workout at the gym. I consider a good workout at least 45 minutes. I feel like I need cardio to start and that I need to sweat quite a bit for it to be worth it. For those days where I can't go to the gym, though, or I can't fit in a run outside...I'm thinking I could at least do some home exercises--I have bands, handweights, and of course my body weight. I shy away from it, though, because I feel like it's not a complete workout.

Is it still worth it? If I just get my clothes on and start doing a couple lunges, push ups, etc? With no cardio?

What do you think?
abcunnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:12 AM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Absolutely it's a workout even if you don't do cardio on that particular day... I do it all the time, I run and I don't like running every single day so on those days of no running I weight train. If you want to work up a sweat do a fast circuit training, you'll work up a sweat.... Promise

But just a question, when you workout out for your 45 mins is weight training included in there? Or are you doing just cardio for the 45 mins? If you're doing cardio only, definitely do some weight training on your off days
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:17 AM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Yes, it's worth it! I often do weights without cardio.

HOWEVER...this morning I alternated squats with running up and down the stairs. Amazing! Saturday our Body + Abs instructor had us run in place in between sets, getting the heels all the way up to the rear end, and I was really surprised at how much that got my heart rate up.

You can alternate weight sets with stairs, running in place, jumping jacks or "jump rope" (without the rope).

But you don't have to. I do love it though!

Last edited by Eliana; 09-28-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:42 AM   #4  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

This is one of the reasons I love 30 Day Shred and other Jillian stuff - she mixes cardio and strength training, and I really feel it's the best of both worlds. My heart rate is definitely up, but my muscles are also getting worked.

Even if you didn't use a DVD, I would definitely add some squats, lunges, pushups, crunches - alternating with running in place, jumping jacks, jump rope - on days when you just can't get to the gym.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:15 AM   #5  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

This is a great question.

Personally, I think I'm a little afraid of life without cardio.

In my "magical thinking" way of looking at life, cardio feels like the only real exercise, the one that really counts. If I can't do anything, at least I get my cardio in. If I do some cardio every day, it will cast a protective spell over me, in a way that weight training, Pilates & yoga does not. I'm weirdly mistrustful of exercise that tries to combine cardio with other stuff. In my magical thinking, only straight through uninterrupted cardio really counts.

This is, of course, insane, but I've been known not to be completely rational before.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:26 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 224/150/150

Height: 5'6

I have read mixed things about the benefits of cardio vs. benefits of weight training. I am not sure if there is a definite answer as to which is more beneficial in the overall goal of weight loss. I used to do only 40 minute cardio workouts, but I lost so much muscle mass because my body was slowly eating them (yes, I lost fat too). I now do 50% cardio and 50% weight training 5x week. So 40 minutes of cardio and 40 minutes of weight training. My body looks so much better, I'm stronger, and I feel great.

I hate cardio, I'm not gonna lie. If you don't have time to go to the gym or you just don't feel like it then it is certainly not a waste of time to do some exercise at home. A jump rope can help with getting your heart rate up. Lunges + squats have many benefits. As long as you're moving, you are doing a good thing.
Andreaislosingweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #7  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
This is a great question.

Personally, I think I'm a little afraid of life without cardio.

In my "magical thinking" way of looking at life, cardio feels like the only real exercise, the one that really counts. If I can't do anything, at least I get my cardio in. If I do some cardio every day, it will cast a protective spell over me, in a way that weight training, Pilates & yoga does not. I'm weirdly mistrustful of exercise that tries to combine cardio with other stuff. In my magical thinking, only straight through uninterrupted cardio really counts.

This is, of course, insane, but I've been known not to be completely rational before.
Not insane. I understand this mentality to a degree. I have my cardio that counts and for that, only Spin, bicycle, elliptical, running etc. will do the trick. I must get that in 3 days a week. My husband considers racquetball cardio, and it is! But to me it doesn't count. I couldn't make myself consider cardio done between reps count as a cardio session, but it certainly does get the HR rate up.

Lifting gets the heart rate up too. But like you, it's hard for me to rationalize this.

On the other hand, if I had to choose between getting in a cardio workout or getting in a lifting workout, lifting wins. I feel like my true strength and fitness are reached through lifting first and cardio second.

Then again, even as I type this my brain is arguing with itself telling me, no cardio is THE most important.

I guess I truly place equal importance on both.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:33 PM   #8  
I love my muscles!

S/C/G: 169/149/135

Height: 5' 5 1/4"

YES! Do strength training and weights! There are so many benefits to it. If you do only cardio, your muscles will become efficient at doing that exercise (meaning burning fewer calories with the same exercise)! Strength training may burn fewer calories during the work-out, but you continue to burn more calories round the clock and it revs up your metabolism. And do as heavy weights as you can with good form!

Like others on 3FC, I highly recommend The New Rules for Lifting for Women (Schuler)

Last edited by pinkflower; 09-28-2010 at 01:33 PM.
pinkflower is offline   Reply With Quote