Old 10-04-2008, 11:08 PM   #1  
Paleo Diet & CrossFit

S/C/G: 300/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Default Paleo Diet

I'm starting a new thread because of no current threads I could find on this diet.

I'm just starting the Paleo Diet, changing over from the Flat Belly Diet. Is anyone else currently doing Paleo?

This is moderately high protein, carbs from veggies and fruits, good oils and staying away from grains (which I mostly need to avoid anyway) with no or low dairy. Their are *open* meals each week when you can add the things that aren't on the diet.

Like I said, I'm just starting so I'm very interested if anyone else is doing this too or has experience with it. I've started reading the book, but haven't gotten very far.

Delita

Last edited by delitaagain; 10-04-2008 at 11:08 PM.
delitaagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:56 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think it's a decent premise, and I'm not really on the diet, but the principles do affect my food choices.

I've read many of the ancestor diets (The Paleo Diet, The Paleolithic Prescription, Neanderthin, The Evolution Diet...), and there are some great online resources that I still use for recipes and such. I don't have any handy as I haven't memorized them, and I had them in favorites rather than bookmarked so I can't access them from the computer I'm using (mine crashed). But I just found them through googling the book titles.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:52 PM   #3  
Paleo Diet & CrossFit

Very cool - look how well you are doing! I've only started eating more Paleo in the last 3 days (almost half-way through the book) and I'm feeling better already. I was on a 12-day plateau (.8 lost in 12 days), then dropped 2.2 pounds in 2 days, I'm convinced it is the increase in protein/fat because I really didn't up my calories yet (missed a meal). Today I felt that thermic response thingie after lunch. I'm just so excited to find food that not only doesn't make me feel bad, but makes me feel good! Do you by any chance have a diet blog? Delita
Old 10-09-2008, 12:27 PM   #4  
Paleo Diet & CrossFit

1 week sort of on Paleo today and it did break my plateau. I'm feeling better and stronger and able to go back to my workouts. Tried on some pants that I couldn't even begin to get in two months ago and they are LOOSE!
Old 10-12-2008, 02:43 PM   #5  
Paleo Diet & CrossFit

Default WOW! I'm so happy with Paleo eating!

Is anyone else doing this high protein/good carb eating style???
Old 11-21-2008, 10:56 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by delitaagain View Post
I'm considering it. Can you tell me more about what to eat?
tealassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
I'm doing a high protein / complex carb thing, but not the Paleo diet or any version thereof. I don't do "diets" where you're forbidden to eat things. I'm contrary enough that if you forbid me something, I immediately want it.

But basically I'm trying to avoid processed foods, get in at least 35% of my cals from protein, eat complex carbs and whole grains, and healthy natural fats (olive oils, avocado, nuts, etc.)

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:11 PM   #8  
FB

I follow a high protein, moderate fat and healthy carb program of my own making and it's working well for me. It's very similar to what you're describing, although I do have dairy (cheese). Nothing is off limits necessarily, since I devised my plan myself, but my style of eating just seems to work that way.

Congrats on breaking your plateau!

Last edited by FB; 11-21-2008 at 11:11 PM.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 04:23 PM   #9  

I guess my "dieting" style is like my taste--it changes, a lot. Some weeks I'll eat stuff lower in protein, higher in good carbs, the next I'll alternate to a more meaty diet. I'm always eating nutritiously (throw in the occasional indulgence), but I find that I'm happy this way.

At the moment I seem to be falling in line with the paleo diet...if you ignore the piece of french toast I had for breakfast .

Is this style of "dieting" bad? Is it better to pick something and stick to it?
Phoenixflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:37 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm also a person who tends to be very flexible with my eating. While my goal is to eat a more "natural" ancestral diet, I also am influenced by my preferences, convenience, budget constraints, and habit (some good, some not so). I don't blog though. At least not very often. I have a blog here (I think it's still in good standing, I better go update though or I'll lose it).

When I eat too high a proportion of carbs, I feel like crap. Maybe this is grain or wheat related, I haven't done an elimination diet to know if I have a grain intolerance or allergy or whether it's starches and sugars that are the problem.

Today was not a good day. I had pizza (a reasonable serving, but still not ideal) and I had a small box of DOTS (gum drops - really bad idea. No way did the cavemen have gum drops).

Eating better doesn't have to mean rigidly following a set of rules. But at least a goal in mind does help. Wanting to eat fewer processed foods, eating foods closer to their natural state.... Change sometimes is a process.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:53 PM   #11  

I'm all year on paleo diet , every meal some food reach with protein , a lot of salad , fish oil every meal , in salad apple vinegar , olive oil , also eat a lot of nuts , I like raw almonds , but I exercise , so every 5 day I have high carb day
Markoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:05 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 256/233/140

I think paleo is totally the way to go. I haven't heard of "open meals" as part of a plan. In fact, most plans stress it's important to really stick to it 24/7 and avoid cheats.

My DH eats paleo 99% of the time, and he is extremely healthy. (He had high blood pressure in his late 20s which was completely cured by paleo.)

I am pretty much addicted to grains so I am not following it right now, as much as I would like to. It's a long-term goal for me for sure.
Tetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:52 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 240 / 236 / 160

Height: 5"8'

So, I have been on and off of the Paleo diet due to monetary restrictions, dang it is expensive... But I find that after being on it for a couple of days that even if I am craving something not on the diet ( and try to eat it) I can't eat as much of it as I could and that I get that icky feeling afterwards. I really need to find an easier / cheaper way to eat paleo. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all the help
enaidmc is offline   Reply With Quote