Old 09-24-2010, 05:07 PM   #1  

Angry I want CARBS!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, I haven't given in yet, almost through week one of Induction and I am seriously craving anything with carbs! You name it, chips, bread, ice cream, anything will do.

Oh resisting is sooooooooooo hard! Does it get any easier?

I check the ketostix, I am in ketosis, I get a light mauve color, guess that is good.

Any advice, inspiration, whatever, is greatly appreciated.
Zaftig Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:17 PM   #2  
Diet and Exercise!

S/C/G: 185/165/135

Height: 5'3"

Don't give in! They will eventually go away, but only if you keep them away!

Make something induction-friendly for yourself that feels like a treat. I love mayonnaise with hot sauce as a dip for chicken. It feels like something you shouldn't have, and yet it is "diet food"!
fatmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:05 PM   #3  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Don't give in...

Is great advice. If you don't eat excess carbs, you really do stop craving them. Do something; distract yourself. Walk, do needlwork, get in the shower, do your nails, talk on the phone...anything but eat carbs. I love chicken drummettes rolled in parmesan cheese and baked, then dip them in bleu cheese dressing...very rich and feels like you're getting serious food!

Check the recipe for "Heroin Wings." It's either on the "What's For Dinner?" post or maybe in the low carb recipe thread...I'm not sure where I posted it - maybe both places. And make about 3 pounds of drummettes, 'cause everybody else will try to eat up your wings!
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:03 PM   #4  
Native Texan

S/C/G: 270/231.5/140

Height: 5'2"

You need some protein based snacks to take the edge off. And yes, the cravings will go away. I try to keep deviled eggs, cheese, or pork skins handy just in case I need something quick.
Hang in there...you WILL make it through
-Judy

Last edited by islandchick1; 09-24-2010 at 08:04 PM.
islandchick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:52 PM   #5  

Default Thanks!

Thank you all for your encouragement. I did snack on some cheese and pepper slices and the cravings went away. Went to dinner at my sister's house, skipped the fries, apple pie & ice cream, only had roasted chicken and salad, even picked out the croutons! I did resist!!

Feeling so much better not giving in, thought the pie did smell yummy.

Believe it or not, my Stop & Shop does not have pork skin! HUH??

I will continue the quest for a new snack.

The the chicken rolled in Parmesan sounds yummy, have to try that. I actually feel better knowing I am in control, feels better than giving in to the cravings. Don't get me wrong, I would still love some of the old junk, but I really do feel good knowing I can pass the temptations even when I am craving them.

As soon as I put fresh batteries in the scale I will post some numbers.

Thanks again to all!!
Old 09-25-2010, 01:45 AM   #6  

S/C/G: starting size 18/ Goal size 10

Height: 5'5''

Zaftig congrats for not giving in, Over time it will get better.
ghost girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:52 AM   #7  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Cook you up some wings!

These are the wings I referenced in yesterday's post. They are so good...And good for you for not giving in to carbs!

Here's the recipe for Heroin Wings. I buy 3 pounds of drummettes; if you're buying whole wings, buy 4 pounds because you won't use the "tips." Also, the cheap finely grated parmesan cheese in the can or bottle works fine with this recipe. You can also use the already shredded parmesan in the deli section. Don't bother using expensive cheese and shredding it yourself.

Enjoy!

3 lb chicken wings
1/2 cup butter
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tbsp dried parsley
1 tbsp dried oregano
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly-ground black pepper
garlic powder or dried ground garlic to taste

First, preheat the oven to 350°F. Cut the wings up into "drummettes". (Freeze the pointy "tips" for soup -- they make great broth!) Then combine the grated cheese and the seasonings. Line a shallow baking pan with foil. (Do not omit this step, or you'll still be scrubbing the pan come New Year's Day!) Melt the butter in a shallow bowl or pan.

Dip each "drummette" in butter, roll in the seasoned cheese, and arrange in the foil lined pan. Bake for 1 hour at 350°F. Kick yourself that you didn't make a double recipe!!

Description: "Once you try these, you'll understand the name -- utterly, totally addictive! You'll impress the heck out of your friends -- and wish you'd made more! They're great leftover, too." Source: ""500 Low-Carb Recipes: 500 Recipes, from Snacks to Dessert, That the Whole Family Will Love" by Dana W. Carpender"

sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:44 PM   #8  

Sandy, those sound AMAZING!! Drumettes are on this weeks shopping list for sure! I have copied the recipe to my file already. THANKS!!

Today we spent the day out on the boat, I packed some sliced bell pepper and cheese while everyone else munched on pretzels. When we stopped for lunch the only options were burgers, paninis or wraps. I had a grilled chicken panini with roasted peppers, and I only ate the chicken and veggies, no bread and I gave away my chips, so there!

So far, even though I have really wanted some no no items, I have resisted. Let's see if I can hang in there.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:51 PM   #9  

And I have a tracker, now I am official!
Old 09-25-2010, 07:57 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 233/227/150

Height: 5'6"

I know exactly how you feel because I'm on day 6 and up till yesterday I would have given anything for the old favorite carbs. Today I feel better. I upped the amount of protein I had at meals and snacks. It helped. Plus I got some pork skins. Yummy! I will try the wings also.
I finally realized it's not how much we're craving the carbs; the important things is if we resist or give in. It's like exercise. The more we resist the stronger our "resisting muscles" get.
Amarillo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:31 PM   #11  

Amarillo, it felt soooooooooooo good to be able to resist, honestly I think it felt better than actually eating the chips and focaccia bread I pushed aside. I am currently day 5 and I find it getting easier. The first couple of days I sort of panicked, felt like I would never be able to eat some of the things I loved. Then I realized that this is the most restrictive phase and once I got myself jump-started, the allowed foods expand.

I can't say I will never ever eat any food, just won't do it. I do hope that I can put some in the "special occasion" category and enjoy them once in awhile.

Good luck to you. I am having trouble finding those darned skins!
Old 09-25-2010, 08:34 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 219.9/168.7/169.0

Height: 5'9"

Congrats for staying strong!!
Brenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:36 PM   #13  

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2010, 09:17 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 180/175/130

Height: 5'5

Here is alow carb recipie link or many (LOL) that might be helpful.

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/cheese_crisp.html

http://blog.yourlighterside.com/2009...uliflower.html

http://blog.yourlighterside.com/2009...ka-oopsie.html

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-t...our-own-jerky/

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=224312

http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41

Stay away from HFCS and ALL sweeteners, except Stevia or Truvia...also no sodas or juices or energy type drinks or vitamin waters, no sucralose aspertaime etc, they can all cause cravings! Except for SOBE 0 Lifewater
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:12 PM   #15  

Thanks Chewy, those look super helpful.

I just made myself a little snack as I cannot seem to find the pork skins everyone raves about!

I took some cheddar, broke it into small pieces, dropped into a hot, non-stick pan, sprinkled with garlic powder and let it crisp. LIKE CHIPS!! Yummy!

Having that with a little iced coffee, no sweetner, just a tiny splash of half & half.

I am pretty satisfied!