Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-24-2010, 01:17 PM   #1  

Angry Foot pain keeping me from running..

ARG! I just started getting into a groove with my running regimen and I had to stop because my feet are killing me. I'm currently using some cushioning things but they aren't helping. I checked my symptoms on WedMD it seems like I have plantar fasciitis. Has anyone else dealt with this and what can I do to fix it!?! Please help! I'm desperate!

Last edited by TimeForChange2; 09-24-2010 at 01:18 PM.
TimeForChange2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:31 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

First off, see a doctor. WebMD is good, but it's not a diagnosis. So if you want the problem resolved, first see what the problem is. Your doctor may make a variety of treatment recommendations, including stretching/physical therapy, anti-inflammatories, and well-fitted shoes.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:00 PM   #3  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

You don't want to mess around with plantar fasciitis, says someone who's had it for nearly three years now & only now has just warning twinges, rather than limping about.

Go see a doctor, as Mandalinn says.

Find ways to exercise where you don't put all your weight on your feet, or if you do, the stress is not as hard as the pounding associated with running. This is what got me on stationary bikes, into rowing & using an elliptical. My plantar fasciitis came on when I was about 70 pounds into my weight loss -- largely due to my own carelessness of doing too much, too soon, with too much weight on my feet & lousy shoe support -- and I found a whole new routine with exercise that enabled me to get rid of the rest. My foot doctor was key to my keeping going.

Oh, and custom orthotics have worked better for me than the Superfeet & other premade inserts, though I keep a few Superfeet around for slippers & yes, even heels on occasion.

Last edited by saef; 09-24-2010 at 02:01 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:40 PM   #4  

Could not agree with SAEF more.... Orthotics are great for plantar faciitus but - I paid my doctor $350 a few years ago for a pair of custom orthotics because my insurance did not cover them... It took a few weeks but the pain was gone. Now - I do not do anything - walkikng, working out, shopping without my orthotics... I've tried superfeets and dr scholls but none of them gave me the support that I got from my custom orthtoics.

Well - that is until yesterday. I was shopping in Costco in San Fran and discovered a double pack of orthotic insoles -2-PAIRS for only $29! They claim to be medically engineered by a doctor and since I've tried so many orthotics I figured I would give these a try.

And - I was VERY happy and surprised how well these fit and how much support they gave my foot. After only 1 day wearing them they actually feel as good as the pair I got a few years go from my doc. I'm so excited not to have to switch my old pair back and forth between all my shoes!!

Best of luck!
sunsetsally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:59 PM   #5  

Yeah, I certainly don't have $350 to spend on shoe insoles. But I am desperate for some type of relief. I guess it wouldn't hurt (no pun intended) to try the ones at Costco. They usually have pretty good stuff there. Thanks everyone, I'll keep you posted!
TimeForChange2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/240

Height: 5' 7"

I'm glad I found this thread. I just came from the knee dr yesterday and I couldn't stop crying. I told him I'm tired of being in pain 24/7.

My arthritis is at the point of knee replacement because the last shots he gave me didn't work. I told him it's not that simple because I also have plantar fasciitis and PTT. I stand on my feet 5 hours a day and I can't take the pain. I'm ready to go on disability.

I've been doing water aerobics since September. Even this hurts my knee. In both the shallow and deep water .........but I still go to class.

Everyone always talks about usting the ellipitical. I can't do that to save my life not even for a minute. I tried doing the recumbent bike but I must say my knees hitting me in my stomach is a turnoff ROFL.

I have an appointment in a few days to see yet another foot Dr.
This will be my 7th doctor. Custom orthodics are what they keep telling me to wear. I have 2 sets of them and they both hurt my feet. I'll post what he says on Tuesday.
2feelbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:32 AM   #7  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

I believe I had plantar fascitis (sp?) before I started my weight loss journey. I am 99% sure it came about because of my weight gain (gained 60 lbs in 1 yr)! I started running at about 200 lbs...and I'm bottom heavy (meaning I carry most my weight in my thighs, hips, butt and legs), so running is even more of a challenge to my joints and feet. At first, every morning that I woke up, I would limp around for about 10 mins and after each run, which also be limping around. Eventually, I went to a running store and got fit for a new pair of $100 running sneaks (saucony progrid guide 3)...foot pain quickly but gradually subsided.

Not sure if it was the sneakers alone, or the fact that I lost alot of bodyfat...but I no longer have that problem anymore.

Every case is unique, so as everyone else has said, the best advise is to see your doctor. But if your like me...and won't go to see a doctor (stubborn, hardheaded, broke, etc.) looking into a new pair of sneaks may be a cheaper alternative.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote