General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default Exchange Plans (such as old WW, TOPS, Richard Simmons, Healthy Exchanges...)

I thought I'd try to rekindle the exchange plan support thread.

I just ordered a new book from amazon.com called, Choose Your Foods: Exchange Lists for Diabetes edited by the American Diabetes Association.

I bought it for it's size (10.5 x 8 x 0.2 inches, 64 pages). It will fit nicely into the binder I use for my daily journal.

I like my "Exchanges For All Occasions," book, but I wanted something that would fit into the binder. Right now, I have food lists printouts from the Hillbillyhousewife website in the binder, but I'm hoping the Choose Your Foods book will be more comprehensive.

I rejoined TOPS. I should have done that a long time ago, because I really do best when I', in a group with weekly meetings and weigh-ins.

So what's everyone else been up to?

Last edited by kaplods; 09-23-2010 at 10:09 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:01 PM   #2  
Happy Member

I lost weight by using the Richard Simmon's Foodmover, which is essentially the exchange program.

I've been 'maintaining' that weight loss for some time now, still using, or at least paying lip service to, the exchange program.

I do believe that many people consider it much more complicated than counting calories, but after I figured out the basics somehow it worked great for me.

Right now I am struggling a bit with my body's desire to pile on some fat as the winter approaches, however I am not a hairy bear planning for hibernation, I'm just a senior citizen determined to keep myself from regaining those lbs. I lost.

I'm always happy to offer encouragement and support to others who are trying to lose weight or maintain a weight loss. It isn't easy, but it can be done.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:38 PM   #3  
closed

S/C/G: 227.5/217.4/150

Height: 5'7"

I would love to see ppl posting about this again; I have spent a ton of time today reading on this site and I have decided to give the exchange system a try. I printed out a bunch of stuff from that Hillbilly site, and I really am excited about this. I found this place by doing a search on LA Weigt Loss. I watched a co-worker lose about 80 lbs a few years ago and I tried it on my own; I found a site somewhere that had had all the colored plan booklets in pdf and I did OK for while. But as with all of here do at one time or another, I fell off the wagon.

So I found myself spending WAAAAY too much time here today, ROFL.

All that to say, YAY for reviving this idea.

I started right in with a good meal tonight, being conscious of protein, starch and veggies serving sizes and counts. Tomorrow I will do a full kicking day on Hillbilly Lady's high protein version.

~ flamanette ~

--------------
227 Start
150 Goal
Flamanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #4  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

I think what I'm doing would be considered an exchange system. It's a defined number of servings from different categories throughout the day. It's based on the Mediterranean Diet. I'm interested in joining in here.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 255/216/130

Height: 5'4

I am following the diabetic exchange plan as well. I also have the printouts from the Hillbillyhousewife website except i re-typed all the food lists into my own format for my own understanding. I don't have diabetes but I did the old weight watchers exchange plan before points and it was the best plan for me. I couldn't find all my old weight watchers books and was really happy when I found the Hillbillyhousewife website with all the exchanges.
creative mom of 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:17 PM   #6  
CanadianVeggie

S/C/G: 207.7/207.7/150

What exactly do you mean by exchange plans?? I am interested to know...
L R K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 255/216/130

Height: 5'4

It means you are allowed a certain amount of servings a day from each food group (Milk, Fruit, Protein, Bread/Starch, fat, Vegetable). All groups have a limit except for the vegetable; it's advisable to have more than 3 servings a day from that group. There is even a "free" exchange group which are items that you can have in moderation at your own discretion without a limited number of servings. Some exchange plans have a certain amount of optional calories per week as well on top of counting food group servings.
The exchange lists have the exact measurements for each food as a serving size. It seems like a lot to count at first but I've been researching as much information as I can on it and it's made it much more understandable and easier. Now I can convert my recipes to show how many exchanges are accounted for in each serving per meal.
creative mom of 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:57 PM   #8  
closed

Good Day Everyone! Today is my first official day of using an exchange system. I am have decided to really have a go at HillbillyHousewife's "Middle of the Road" plan.

I have been busy today reading, reading, and reading some more; and I've successfully set up my Blog here on 3FC.

Today is going well, I am on track and not feeling any hunger or anything (woot for oatmeal...that seems to carry me a LONG way into my day).

Hope you all are doing well.

~flamanette~
Old 09-24-2010, 01:26 PM   #9  
Happy Member

The exchange plan certainly provides enough food for anyone. So let's stick to our plan, emphasize the healthy foods available, drink enough water, take it a day at a time, and enjoy life.

Have you had your veggies today???
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:53 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I got my Choose Your Foods Book the other day, and it's a nice book - but most of the information in it is also on the hillbillyhousewife website for free. The book is 64 pages long, but the print is huge (easy on the eyes).

I don't regret buying it, I'm just not thrilled with it (though at $3.25 the price was right).

I have a tendency to lose track of what I've eaten - forgetting or neglecting to write down foods especially in the evening, so I've started giving myself a "sticker" on my journal page if I know that every single bite was documented for the day (I give the sticker the following morning). Since I'm also using my food journal as part of my health journal to track symptoms it's important that my food journal data be accurate and complete. At least I'll know if a page doesn't have a sticker on it, that there's data missing.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:00 PM   #11  
closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoJo2 View Post
The exchange plan certainly provides enough food for anyone. So let's stick to our plan, emphasize the healthy foods available, drink enough water, take it a day at a time, and enjoy life.

Have you had your veggies today???
Drinking some veggies as we speak! I love love love V-8! Easy to keep at work too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I got my Choose Your Foods Book the other day, and it's a nice book - but most of the information in it is also on the hillbillyhousewife website for free. The book is 64 pages long, but the print is huge (easy on the eyes).

I don't regret buying it, I'm just not thrilled with it (though at $3.25 the price was right).

I have a tendency to lose track of what I've eaten - forgetting or neglecting to write down foods especially in the evening, so I've started giving myself a "sticker" on my journal page if I know that every single bite was documented for the day (I give the sticker the following morning). Since I'm also using my food journal as part of my health journal to track symptoms it's important that my food journal data be accurate and complete. At least I'll know if a page doesn't have a sticker on it, that there's data missing.
I am SO with you on losing track in the evening (which also tends to be my worst eating time). I put a page on my blog that will serve as my food journal. I am glued to my laptop in the evenings usually, so I will just have my blog open at all times.

You've given me another idea for another page in my though: I really need to keep track of my RA and see whether or not foods that I eat affect my symptoms.

Can ya tell I am really getting into this "blog" thing

~flamanette~