Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-23-2010, 12:24 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/190/165

Height: 5'9.5''

Default Ok, I'm going to do it. I'm going to sign up for a 5k.

For weeks now I've been telling myself to go jogging. I only jogged maybe 5 times the entire summer, and I haven't done it regularly since 2 years ago when I had a running class. I'm out of shape and the highest weight I've ever been.

Exactly one month from today there is a 5k. I ... am going to sign up. I probably won't run the whole thing but I want to at least run most of it. At least half!

Any advice? Training tips? I used to work out often but the most I've ever been able to run non-stop is about 2 miles. Very, very, very slowly. Like snails pace. Like we're talking a 14 minute mile.
liasaun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:48 AM   #2  
miamimelting

S/C/G: 239.5/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7

A 14 minute mile is faster than the miles that the majority of the US is doing in their lazy boys eating bon bons and watching family guy! Good for you!

I started running again about 8 weeks ago. It was hard at first. 16 minutes miles! I'm now down to a little under 11 minute miles. I just did my first 10K. Doing a 5K on Saturday. I would do 2 miles and then a mile longer on Sundays. I did that for 2 weeks. Then I did 3 miles and a mile longer on Sundays. I did that for 2 weeks. You get the picture. You slowly build up the stamina to do the long miles. There is very little that is more powerful then strapping on the shoes and taking the time to work on yourself in a run. Yeah GIRL! You go!! Make sure you have good shoes! STRETCH! Do yoga or a stretching activity on your down days. It will help to open up your muscles and make your time better.
miamimelting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:13 AM   #3  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Congrats for committing to a 5K! I love running and it is a great way to get your body really healthy.

Google "Couch to 5K" and you will find a bunch of different training programs designed to gradually and safely increase your running distance.

Be sure you are wearing good, appropriate footwear. If your shoes are worn, replace them now, not the week before the race. The best bet is to go to a specialty running store where the staff can fit you for shoes appropriate for your feet and gait. It can be a big financial commitment, but it helps avoid injury.

Remember to stretch. I do dynamic stretches for a warmup and regular ol' static stretches when I cool down. Stretching is sooooo important for avoiding injury. I cannot emphasize it enough.

Most of all -- have fun! Running can be hard when you are getting started. I remember some really tough days chugging along, carrying a Walkman (yep, I started that long ago). But once you get into your groove you just may find that you love it!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:55 AM   #4  
improving life!

Height: 5'7"

signing up for a race is what kept me on track! I agree with thesam7lbs, find a good couch to 5k program. A lot are longer than one month so if you can find one thats shorter you can fix the problem. If you can run the longer the first weeks suggest then don't do th first couple weeks. Or you can skip the last few weeks.

I also think you should make sure you eat right and stay hydrated for the race. I eat clif bars before big runs (about 2 of them for 500 calories) and drink a bottle of water (which is about 14 ounces). Plus I make sure to eat them at least an hour before I run and I make sure to drink the water at a time where I won't have to pee during the race but either before or after it.
pinkalarmclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:12 AM   #5  
A runner wanna be.

Height: 5'1

Good for you! The first time I ran a 5K I also walked part of it. No shame on that, my only goal was to finish it. For the next one, my goal was to run the whole thing. After that, I have been working on improving my time.
My only advice, take baby steps. I went too long too fast too soon and felt nothing but after two months one of my hips didn't take any more and I got injured and had to stop. After a while, I had to restart the whole thing again.
And STRETCH before AND after.
GL!!!
lili58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:52 PM   #6  

so I went running today for the first time. as per the suggestion of the couch to 5k program, I walked for a bit and then ran for a bit (I walked on the short stretches of track and ran on the long stretches of track.) I tried to push myself and felt shocked at how difficult it was for me. I jog/walked for 23 minutes.

Of course I forgot to take the following into account:
1. it is 91 degrees here today. I cannot stop sweating. TOO MUCH SUN!
2. The track I was running on is one of those loose gravel tracks and every gust of hot wind blows desert-level sandstorms directly into my face. I felt like I was breathing through a cloud of dust and could not get enough air. I'm not usually short of breath when I run so I'm thinking it's the track. I'll have to find another convenient place to run (the track is less than 5 minutes from my apartment and right next to my work).
3. I didn't have music... or water.... need to get on that.

After I ran I ate a banana (for electrolytes - pottassium!) and a stick of cheese (uh. protein? and tastiness) and had some tea. Maybe I will try again later today.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 324/283/260

Height: 5'7''

can't wait till i'm fit enough to do that! right now I can only run on the treadmill, in the air conditioning, with a portable fan aimed directly at my head lol. Good luck!
katkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:22 PM   #8  

cardio kickboxing class with a friend tonight!!