Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 08:49 PM   #1  

Unhappy Feeling Low

Well, I'm currently 210 lbs at 5'6" and I feel awful. I end up sitting down and crying over how bad I look and feel, then swear to lose the weight. Of course afterwards I go eat some pizza and tell myself I'll start tomorrow.

I'm 17, not in school, don't have a job, not doing anything other than sitting around feeling sorry for myself. Last year I got really depressed and ended up withdrawn from everything. I've finally decided I need to take control of my life now and make some changes. I'm in GED prep and plan to get my GED next year, then go to nursing school. I hope to be well on my way to my goal weight by that time.

I guess I just need a little support and some good advice. Where do I begin? How do I stick to a diet? What helped you?
Old 03-13-2003, 09:41 PM   #2  
GmaTo8

HUGS to you, Maribel!

You are on the right track! Just by coming here, you are beginning to find the way to weight loss. Otherwise, you wouldn't have checked out this site. Since you are improving your life by doing the GED prep, that may jump-start you for overall improvement.

I suggest you make a list of what you would accomplish if there was nothing in the world to hold you back... then go for it! If a healthy body is important enough, you will manage to get it, just as you will get an education if it is important enough to you.

Honey, at 17, you have the world on a string, and this is the time to decide how you want to live - it's all up to you. If you look down, don't be surprised if you see red sparkly shoes on your feet, because, like Dorothy in Oz, you have had the power all along......

Good luck to you!
Jana
Old 03-14-2003, 05:08 AM   #3  

Good for you working on your GED!!! Nursing school is a great plan... there's such a critical shortage of nurses now and the need will only grow as the boomers age.

Getting started on weight loss can be very tough and you need to find something that works for you. I like to start by doing pro-active things, rather than worry about counting calories or weight loss initially (that comes later). So, at first I focus on simple things like drinking enough water, taking supplements, and brushing/flossing after meals. Then I focus on eating the right kinds of foods without worrying about portion control. I eat huge salads and they just sort of crowd out a lot of the other food I might eat. In the final stage, I find I need to count calories, but by then I've got all the healthy habits I need to stay on track.

Are there any healthy foods that you might like to indulge in? I love being able to buy sushi without feeling guilty about the cost (because it's part of my wieght loss plan). Other seafood, like scallops, lobster, and shrimp, if not prepared with lots of fat, can be a great way to avoid the burgers and fries. I also love Pho (Vietnamese soup) which is served as a main meal; some broth-based Chinese and Thai soups are also low-cal but not usually considered entrees so it is harder to avoid hi-fat selections unless you takeout.

Again, you have to find what works for you. The most motivating idea for me is, "A year from now, you'll wish you started now!" (that means NOW; the rest of today, even if you've blown it earlier today, start this second!)

Good luck!
-Deborah
Old 03-14-2003, 05:56 AM   #4  

Maribel,

You have made the hardest step! You realize you want to feel better and the hardest step is accepting that you need to make a change. Just like studying for any course, weight loss is many chapters -- You've already gotten great advice --
Make a list of foods you really love--

For instance, if you know you can have Pizza once a week, instead of NEVER would that seem realistic to you? The best part is to get to fit your plan to your likes and dislikes--
Most of us are shocked when we start reading the ingredients labels-, you'll know what you can eliminate in trade of something you really love.

Keep coming back!!

Come take a look at the threads and see where you might feel comfortable.
Please come take a look at the "Spring Renewal Challenge" -- We are all ages, from all over the country and we each follow our own plan.

You are doing GREAT!!
Old 03-14-2003, 07:41 AM   #5  
Learning To Live For Me

I just wanted to say welcome to the board. I know exactly how you feel. Three years ago I was you, except I was close to 400lbs. I decided I couldnt let my weight hold me back from living. I had graduated highschool and had a daughter, but that was my life. There was nothing in it for me, dont take that the wrong way. My child is my life, but everyone of us needs something in our lives that we can be proud of. I became a Nurses Assistant and went to work at a nursing home. Seeing those people, talking with them, sharing their lives, it made me realize just how lucky I was. And slowly the self pity became pride in who I was and what I was doing.

Are you following any specific diet plan? If not there are tons of us who are doing WW. Its worth a look into. Dont let your weight hold you back from living, and dont let it get to the point where your size determines who you are. No matter what, you are a wonderful person, it doesnt matter if you are a size 5 or a size 30.

Hang in there hon, and good luck.
Old 03-14-2003, 12:15 PM   #6  

Hi Maribel,

The other girls are right..your heading in the right direction. I think we all have gone through the i will start the diet tomorrow program...just try to adust how much you eat at the beginning. IF you get pizza opposed to how many slices you eat cut it down by one. First you have to believe you CAN DO IT. AND U CAN. Drink water! Major suggestion.
Closed Thread