General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-14-2010, 12:50 AM   #1  

Default Thintervention? Anybody watch that?

OK so they put totally out of shape people through Olympic type workouts and preview that at least one of them needed a call to the paramedics as a result.

One of the participants lost 10 pounds in one week...is that even healthy?? I dunno, I've never watched "Biggest Loser' and I guess 1 - 2 pounds a week and gradually increasing your exercise isn't exciting enough for "reality" TV. And in reality....I don't wanna look like the mean, screamy coach either.

http://www.bravotv.com/thinterventio.../jackie-warner
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:28 AM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I put my thoughts here - http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3469996-post1.html

Also, I stopped the DVR recording of the series.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #3  

Height: 5'8"

I hate those shows.
They take VERY out of shape people and torture them with hours of calisthenics! Does that make ANY sense??

Some of these folks haven't walked around a block in years, and they start them off with hard core work outs?

I bet they cant move for days afterwards. That is NOT the way motivate someone into exercising.

I never understood why they do that
BlueFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:27 PM   #4  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

And thousands upon thousands of people audition for these types of shows.

I never feel sorry for the people in these shows...they are all adults and have not been forced to be there. They want to do it.

Now that Too fat for 15 show...I do feel sorry for them, because they are children and their parents have decided to exploit them. That is sick thinking on the parents part. Sad.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 09-14-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:39 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Now that Too fat for 15 show...I do feel sorry for them, because they are children and their parents have decided to exploit them. That is sick thinking on the parents part. Sad.
Then again, I'd be willing to bet that those kids got reduced or eliminated tuition for being on the show. If the parents had tried various interventions for weight with no success, and truly felt that the child needed a strictly controlled environment, but couldn't afford the tuition otherwise, I can see making that choice.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 267.8/211/150

I watched the entire thing this morning. I really, really didn't dig at the end where she was getting on people's cases for "only" losing 3 pounds in a week. Seriously?

The ambulance was actually needed as a result of someone who suffered from something related to her cancer (she'd had lymph nodes removed, apparently, and her body did something where her hand got all swollen. She left the show.).
Bac0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:20 PM   #7  
Back in Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Then again, I'd be willing to bet that those kids got reduced or eliminated tuition for being on the show. If the parents had tried various interventions for weight with no success, and truly felt that the child needed a strictly controlled environment, but couldn't afford the tuition otherwise, I can see making that choice.
Obviously these parents made a choice to put their kids on a reality TV program for SOME reason. Money would have to be the motivator. Why would a parent subject a child to that humiliation for no monetary gain? It kind of reminds me of "free food". Just because it's free doesn't mean it's good for you...and it certainly doesn't mean you should eat it.

Looking at the homes and neighborhoods where a few of those kids live (shown in the "spring break" episode) I'd say that some of the parents don't "need" the money. They WANT the money and they want perfect little children to go into their perfect homes.

I think being a teen is hard. Being an obese teen is extremely hard. Being an obese teen on a reality TV show at a place where many confess they don't like, being talked about, scrutinized, and humiliated... Child abuse. There are other "free" options.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 09-14-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:44 PM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Just Googled it and did some preliminary research - it appears the parents aren't receiving ANY compensation for their kids being on the show (even a break on tuition), and a number of them signed their kids up for the program before they knew the show was even in the works, and they did have to sign consent forms, so who knows what their motivation in that was. I wouldn't hazard a guess as to the motivations parents may have had for signing, since it wasn't monetary. I would think they'd at least get reduced tuition, but apparently even that isn't the case.

Anyway, we're not even talking about the right show given the original topic. The Thintervention folks know what they're getting into (they're adults) and they are paid.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:47 PM   #9  
it's always something

I refuse to watch any tv show that turns obesity into entertainment.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:28 PM   #10  
Slow and Steady

S/C/G: 353/see ticker/178

Height: 5'11''

I recorded the first episode and watched it a few days ago. I kept thinking I recognized her from somewhere, and then I realized she was the one that Bravo did a show on called WorkOut. They canceled that show because Gatorade pulled their ads and there was a large protest about her making negative remarks about a breast cancer survivor's appearance.

I will be canceling the recording of this show, she annoys me. This weight loss reality show takes it to a whole different level than Biggest Loser.
OrganizedChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:50 PM   #11  
Back in Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Anyway, we're not even talking about the right show given the original topic. The Thintervention folks know what they're getting into (they're adults) and they are paid.
Yeah..okay, sorry. I should research things before I go off on a tangent. Typing before I think gets me in trouble more often than not.

I did watch part of Thintervention last week when I was surfing through channels. I thought it was hilarious. The blond Aussie chick is a hoot.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:42 PM   #12  
<---I want that body!

S/C/G: 145/141/115

Height: 5'5

I actually enjoy this show. And I agree Ms. blondie is hilarious!
highcidity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:55 PM   #13  

I do like the blonde aussie girl!! Actually i find the show kind of fascinating but just questioning the approach as far as health goes. It was my understanding that the "go for the burn" approach to exercise is very passe' and you are supposed to push yourself only a little more each day. I know a woman who became a long distance runner at 50 and that is how she did it. At first she only walked, then she ran VERY small distances (one fence partition for example then in a couple of weeks 1/4 of the track, then half the track and so on) til she reached her goal of running 2 miles daily. And being kind to yourself was a big part of it. She seems to try to beat her clients down.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:57 PM   #14  

No I mean there is a preview for a future episode (might have been tonights as I have not watched yet) where the cute gay guy, forget his name, is having oxygen put on him & seems to be in some distress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bac0s View Post
I watched the entire thing this morning. I really, really didn't dig at the end where she was getting on people's cases for "only" losing 3 pounds in a week. Seriously?

The ambulance was actually needed as a result of someone who suffered from something related to her cancer (she'd had lymph nodes removed, apparently, and her body did something where her hand got all swollen. She left the show.).
Old 09-21-2010, 09:53 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 267.8/211/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8-EEE View Post
No I mean there is a preview for a future episode (might have been tonights as I have not watched yet) where the cute gay guy, forget his name, is having oxygen put on him & seems to be in some distress.
Gotcha. I think that's next week's episode.

I'm still watching it.

I'm not sure how long an actual "week" is on the show, and I'm not crazy about the fact that she is clearly disappointed when they "only" lose 1-3 pounds a week. However, I like that she's trying to get them to push themselves with their workouts rather than giving up, and that she is integrating therapy in with the workouts and healthy eating.
Bac0s is offline   Reply With Quote