Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-19-2010, 03:37 PM   #1  
Back in the saddle again

S/C/G: 249/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

Default Mussels....not so much

Recently discovered that I really like mussels when they're steamed in a spicy tomato broth...so I thought I'd pick some up at the grocery store this morning and give it a shot. Soaked, debearded, scrubbed and steamed....and ugh- methinks the mussels weren't very fresh considering how incredibly fishy they tasted

Therefore, oroweat sandwich thin (hot dog style), smoked turkey keilbasa, mustard, and sauerkraut for lunch - yum
spixiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:27 PM   #2  

Sorry you had a yucko experience. I do not trust mussels from anyplace other than a dedicated fish market or farmer's market (So Cali) with good turnover. Love how they create their own tasty broth, take time to eat and are super low in calories. Have the same rules and feelings about clams.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:34 PM   #3  
Back in the saddle again

I hear you... I thought I'd give it a shot - now I know better for next time ~
Old 09-19-2010, 07:34 PM   #4  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

What kind did you get?

I've had very good luck with the Prince Edward Island mussels, which are farmed & grow on ropes underwater, and so are much easier to clean. When I buy one of those net bags full (I think they're $2.99 a pound at Stop N' Shop right now) I rarely have to debeard them, and I don't soak them at all, I just rinse them, ritually, and never find grit in the sink afterward. I've never ground any sand between my molars, either. I try to cook them within two or three hours of bringing them home.

My problem is avoiding buying too many, since they're sold in premeasured bags, and I'm just cooking for one person: Me.

Last edited by saef; 09-19-2010 at 09:23 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:40 PM   #5  
Back in the saddle again

Actually, I'm pretty sure those were the type I bought - I saw the woman working the fish counter open the net bag and start sorting the mussels... also, there were very few that needed much cleaning or debearding - I probably should have been suspicious though when I saw here tossing every 3rd or 4th mussel as she "measured" out my requested pound - probably far less than fresh
Old 09-19-2010, 08:22 PM   #6  

I also get the ones raised on ropes- here they do them off of offshore oil platforms! Never soak, rarely have beards
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote