Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-18-2010, 07:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 299/171/160

Height: 5'6"

Talking Pilates: Fat Chicks can do it!

I've wanted to try Pilates since the 80s...when I first saw articles about it. Back then, I was just too poor, not just fat.

Then I got OBESE, then morbidly OBESE, and it seemed like, no way, I couldn't do it, not those machines, not even if my bank account said I could now afford it.

BUT..I sucked it up, called the closest studio to me and asked if anyone had training or experience with obese clients. The studio owner took up the challenge. 2 years and 4 months later, I'm still doing it, 2x a week (wish I could afford 4 or 5 x a week). I'm more flexible. Stronger. My ankles don't swell anymore on a daily basis. My posture is better. Hubby is a great supporter cause he's seen how I have gained energy and confidence. Sex is soooo much better when you've got core strength and more leg flexibility. And I have a waist again. I'm 44 pounds lighter than my highest weight of 299, and I have a lot of weight to lose, but with a good, certified trainer who can modify for a big belly or big butt or whatever fat obstruction occurs, and a non-fatphobic studio that welcomes all people, fat chicks can do Pilates and reap lots of benefits. If I were entrepreneurial, I'd start a Phat Pilates class/studio and get the big gals and guys in there.

I never stuck to any exercise program before. This one doesn't bother my screwed up knees (from an aerobics mishap years ago on one knee, from being fat for so long and putting all this pressure on joints in general). I no longer get backaches. My belly doesn't push up against the steering wheel anymore. There's 5 inches to spare now.

I have pics up of me doing it at my new blog: http://happyweightafter.blogspot.com --just click on the Phat Pilates tab under the header -- and there's an article on fat folks doing Pilates equipment workouts that used one of my pics showing me in a modified "teaser" pose on the Cadillac, and it linked to my old blog:
http://www.suite101.com/content/fat-...orkout-a271227

If you ever wanted to try this form of exercise--yes, you can do it. So, do it.

If you're in the Miami area, my studio is in North Miami Beach (near Aventura, a block down from Biscayne Boulevard) and it's called THE PILATES ROOM. My trainer is Liza. She's amazing and so encouraging. Makes you feel beautiful and strong, not fat and old.

Last edited by Mirtika; 09-18-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Mirtika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 18/16/12 (AU dress sizes)

Height: 165cm (5'5")

Nice work I really love Pilates. It's so great for core strength and functional fitness and flexibility as you've found... I did a session with my gym that I joined six weeks ago and unfortunately I was the only fat girl in the class and I don't think the trainer knew what to do with me to modify the exercises. I found it awkward to say the least (not because I didn't like being the only fat girl there, I'm used to that at my gym).

I plan on going back when I've lost 5kg or so. I can't afford to go to a dedicated Pilates studio that can do 1-on-1 (I'd love to though). In the meantime I do a basic ball workout at home
GoldenLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:20 PM   #3  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

I can't believe how flexible you look in the photos! That's fantastic!

I also really enjoyed your blog. I loved the Agape song, and your posts are interesting to read. Tell me about Isometrics...do you use a DVD?

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-18-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:15 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 145/126/115

Height: 5'1"

Hi - thanks for posting your story. Even as I get better with cardio fitness through at home DVDs, I've always been nervous about going to classes because I'm worried I can't keep up. Yoga in particular scares me so your success with pilates is inspirational. Thanks again.
DexterMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:29 PM   #5  
Reformed Face Stuffer

S/C/G: 249/244/181

Height: 5"8

So inspiring! Way to go.

I'm a poor college student, so I like to do sessions on youtube.
beadsofjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:17 PM   #6  

thanks, ladies!

Rochester, pretty much what I mean by isometrics is covered here: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/...les.asp?id=972

In Pilates, stopping and holding a move is routine--so I just got in the habit. Yoga involved holding postures, so that would work, too.

And BeadsofJade: I do some to YOUTUBE on non-training days. It's nice to see an instructor in a video, even if it's just doing 10 mins. Wishing you the best in your college studies!
Old 09-20-2010, 07:27 PM   #7  

I added new pics and comments in the Phat Pilates section (and today's blog entry) at my Two Years to Happy Weight After blog.

Mostly, just giving some pointers on how to modify some exercises for a fat belly/larger body.

http://happyweightafter.blogspot.com...s-aka-fat.html

I weigh 258 in these pics last week. (Lost 3 lbs since. hee)
Old 03-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #8  

Still doing it at 180 lbs and nearly 4 years later.

Assorted pics here: http://happyweightafter.blogspot.com...s-aka-fat.html
Old 04-24-2012, 10:09 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 186/178/140

I think it's so great you've stuck with this so long! You're looking great! How inspiring.
tyedyegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote