Old 09-17-2010, 11:43 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 288/284/180

Height: 5'7

Default No Soda Challenge

So I am just starting my journey to buckle down and lose after countless failed attempts. Although I know my eating needs changing as well I think my first and biggest obstacle is getting over my soda addiction. I easily drink 3-4 cans of soda a day, yes diet usually but it is still not so good none the less. I heard a rumor that pretty soon the sugar agents/ chemicals in diet soda will be illegal in Europe (no idea if its true or not) but that got me thinking about exactly how bad the stuff really is. SO to kick start my weight loss I am going two weeks without a single sip of soda. Seems simple enough with all the other options, but with my addition, well I'll keep ya posted!
Jbleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:20 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

YOU CAN DO IT! I rarely drink soda, I'd say once a month, if that, and I don't really even care for it anymore.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 214/214/170

Height: 5' 10"

Count me in on this challenge, Jbleck! I, too, am a soda addict (and I *don't* drink diet, because the artificial sweeteners give me horrible headaches). So I will rid myself of the calories, as well as the chemicals and the caffeine.

Good luck!
stephanieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:49 PM   #4  
Focus

S/C/G: 296/ticker/199/

Height: 5'4

count me in jbleck ! I am hooked on Coke ....diet coke that is !!!! I so believe that is why I have been on a stand still with this weight loss. I will for a year. I did fine. I cannot just have one. I will do this with u starting now !!!
Dumplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 183/183/160

Height: 5'6"

Nice =D I think I'll extend my challenge, I want to make it an entire month with no soda whatsoever!
Jelbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 216/208/145

Soda is my biggest weakness as well..I drink about as much as you do if not more..I'm in this challenge.
momto2girls08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 216/208/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMingle View Post
I was a lifelong cola addict up until a few years ago. Here are seven simple steps you can take right now, today, to help stop your cola cravings.

1. Drink More Water

Water is essential to life and health. Cola takes water out of your body. Chances are if you drink cola, you don't get enough water. Your body can learn to crave water the same way it craves cola.

2. Try a Substitute Drink

Cola is habit forming for many reasons. The caffeine, the sugar, the artificial sweeteners in diet colas, the flavor, and the carbonation can all make it difficult for you to quit drinking cola.

A substitute drink can help. If it's carbonation and sweetness you crave, try a lemon-lime soda. If you still need some caffeine, there are certain brands of root beer and orange soda with caffeine. Avoid drinks with artificial sweeteners as those can be even more habit forming.

The best choice of course is to not drink any soda but this can be hard at first and finding a substitute drink is a step in the right direction.

3. Eat Healtier

The healthier the food you eat the less likely it is that your body will crave bad stuff such as cola. Avoid eating things that are high in sugar especially.

4. Exercise

The more exercise you get the less likely it is that your body will crave bad stuff such as cola. You don't just have to go to the gym to exercise. You can exercise by taking the stairs instead of the elevator. You can do jumping jacks during the commercials while watching TV.

A great way to exercise is to invest in a pair of hand weights. Use them when you're watching TV, listening to music, or just relaxing.

5. Write it Down

Do you know exactly how much cola you drink every day? Every week? Keep some paper and a pen or pencil handy and write down every time that you drink a cola. Be specific. For example, write "a large Diet Cola" or "two cans of Cola".

Just writing it down and reviewing it makes you aware of just how much cola you are drinking and makes it easier to stop drinking so much.

6. Talk Yourself Out of It

Say to yourself, "I feel like having a cola now but I'm not going to." Instead of "cola" say the name of the particular cola. It sounds silly but it can really help.

7. Change Your Patterns

Do you always pick up a cola at the corner store on the way back home from work? Skip it. Do you always head over to the soda machine down the hall during a mid-morning break at work? Go somewhere else. Do something else.

Follow these 7 steps and soon you'll be curbing your cola cravings.

I know you can do it...

This was very helpful thank you for sharing
momto2girls08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #8  
Roller Skating Diva

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9"

Talking Please add me to this challenge!!!!!!

Add me to this challenge! (as I sit here reading these posts drinking my 32 oz coke)

I really need the extra help because I can't seem to stop by myself and though my boyfriend tries to be helpful he just doesn't understand why I can't stop cold turkey like he did...I get migraines without the caffeine... But I am willing to try this again!
tlydeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 288/284/180

So it's now been 5 days with no soda and I'm starting to not miss it, day 1-3 was brutal, i had cravings and every time i saw someone with a can I wanted to jump them just for a sip, but i think the worst is over and I don't really miss it.
Jbleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:44 PM   #10  
Meredith

S/C/G: 300/185/160

Height: 5'6

I want in! I've been a Coke addict my whole life (thanks mom!) I used to drink AT LEAST 6 Mountain Dew's a day. I'm down to 2 a week on a good week and 7-10 on a bad week. I have a serious problem. It's not only my body but my brain craves it too. I know that sounds ridiculous, but that's the only way to describe it.

We can do it!
Meredith01 is offline   Reply With Quote