Old 09-16-2010, 09:09 AM   #1  
I'm on my way!

S/C/G: 260/172/160

Height: 5'6"

Default When will this pass?

First of all I haven't been here for a while because I have internet AND computer issues that I haven't had time to deal with. So, I haven't been able to come here for support or inspiration. Second, I couldn't access Fitday so I have been tracking on paper, which is annoying. Third, I am still stuck!! I have been 219-220 for almost 4 weeks. I exercise minimum 3 days a week 45-60 minutes at a time and average 1700 calories. I have only lost 39 pounds and still have 69 to go- I didn't think I would hit a plateau this early on! It is depressing me and a few times I have fantasized about bingeing and giving up - though I won't do that - it is still wearing on me!

How do I press through this without losing my mind?
TXMary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:17 AM   #2  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

YOu remember you're doing what you need to do, your body just needs to accept it and catch up . . . but we all know how stubborn the body can be

Keep going strong, I started out not to far from your stats, SW, height etc . . . . I stalled for a while around there too . . .keep at it, you've kicked 39 lbs to the curb already!! So great!
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:33 AM   #3  
weight, be gone!

S/C/G: 227/191/125

Height: 5' 4"

Even if the numbers on the scale aren't changing, remember that you're still exercising.... you're burning fat and creating muscle. One of these days, though, those numbers will start dropping again. Just hang in there - you've done an amazing job losing those 39 pounds, I know you can do this!
lolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:03 PM   #4  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Is this the same amount and type of exercise you've been doing since you started? If so, you're body may have figured out how to do that exercise more efficiently than you'd like and you'll need to either change the type, intensity or increase time to get the same results you were getting 39 lbs. ago.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:10 PM   #5  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

I agree with caryesings. They best way to bust through the plateau is to change up your routine. Try eating new types of food and doing a different type of exercise. The body is amazingly adaptive and it gets very efficient to routines. This has excellent evolutionary advantages, but not very good for weight loss!
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:53 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Oh yes, I agree with the others. I'd change up that exercise routine. I'd also add the amounts to the amount days that you are doing so, the intensity or the duration or all of the above. Also, are you doing any strength training? If not, please add it in ASAP.

You also may need to take those calories down by a hundred or so. You're not as big as you used to be and you don't require the same amount of calories, so the deficit you're creating now is less than when you started.

With a bit of patience, a tweak here and there, you'll have that scale plummeting.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:57 PM   #7  
I'm on my way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryesings View Post
Is this the same amount and type of exercise you've been doing since you started? If so, you're body may have figured out how to do that exercise more efficiently than you'd like and you'll need to either change the type, intensity or increase time to get the same results you were getting 39 lbs. ago.
In the beginning I wasn't exercising at all. I was afraid to exercise because in the past when I exercised I felt like I was starving afterward and would binge- which then defeated the purpose of exercising. After about 20 pounds lost I started slowly exercising by walking or dancing around my house. About 2 weeks ago I started taking an excercise class 3 -4 days a week which really kicks my butt! I hate to say it but I think I need to lower my calories by about 200 a day and this only adds to my depression! Time to find some new recipes and change up the food. Also, I probably need to eat less processed foods. I have proven to myself that I can eat them without bingeing, but now it is time to wean off many of them. I don't like this at all, but I want to be a healthy weight so I must do it.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:37 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMary2 View Post
I hate to say it but I think I need to lower my calories by about 200 a day and this only adds to my depression! Time to find some new recipes and change up the food. Also, I probably need to eat less processed foods. I have proven to myself that I can eat them without bingeing, but now it is time to wean off many of them. I don't like this at all, but I want to be a healthy weight so I must do it.
Mary, if I'm reading your original post correctly, you're none too happy about your stall, so please don't dread increasing your exercise, changing up your foods and tweaking your calories - because this is going to free you up to lose the weight - and that is something to get excited about - not be depressed about!!!

It's time for you to kick it up a notch. Time for you to do some more delving. Time for you to learn even more about yourself and learn more about nutrition and fitness. Very exciting indeed!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:06 AM   #9  
I'm on my way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Mary, if I'm reading your original post correctly, you're none too happy about your stall, so please don't dread increasing your exercise, changing up your foods and tweaking your calories - because this is going to free you up to lose the weight - and that is something to get excited about - not be depressed about!!!

It's time for you to kick it up a notch. Time for you to do some more delving. Time for you to learn even more about yourself and learn more about nutrition and fitness. Very exciting indeed!
I know you're right Robin and I should be excited. It's just that as a SAHM mom and all the stuff I already do, working harder wears me out just thinking about it. Too many years of being sedentary physically made my mind sedentary too I guess. I know it is a mental thing and if I just physically start doing more my mind will catch up.

As for the food, I start too feel anxious when I think about eating less, but I am sure that will go away. So, today is day one of fewer calories!!!!

On the upside, on 8/17/10 I weighed 223.4 - this mornings weigh in was 220 and I did my measurements - which I last did on 8/17 and my chest was down another .5 inch and my waist was down 1 inch. So, I guess it isn't a complete stall.