Old 09-15-2010, 10:13 PM   #1  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default suggestions please

menu for the last 2 days

breakfast: 2 eggs omelet, w red peppers and spinach, sprinkle feta cheese.
snack: 1/2 avocado
lunch: chicken salad (dark meat, mayo, celery, scallions) on romaine
snack: 2 oz old cheddar
supper: stir fried pork tenderloin w peppers, scallions, zucchini, no sauce
LOTS of water

breakfast: smoked salmon/ cream cheese rolls, (4)
snack: veggies with blue cheese dip
lunch: greek salad (cukes, onion, peppers, feta, romaine, oil and vinegar dressing)
snack: 2 pepperettes (total 1 carb, no bread fillers)
supper: hamburger with swiss, beans, and stir fried zucchini
LOT of water

I do also drink 2 cups of black tea per day, with cream, not milk.

I have given up diet sodas etc.
My blood sugars are stable, and I am not GAINING weight. (a reason I am reluctant to stop atkins, and want to stay on it, my blood glucose goes nuts with upping carbs at all)

I haven't lost weight in over 2 weeks now.
ANy suggestions for change? I would like to be down at least another 10 pounds by Christmas, but don't see how I am going to do it.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:52 AM   #2  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

My best suggestion: Send your post as a private message to Jersey Gyrl. She's really great about answering specific questions and reviewing our menus to help us.

Another thought: Would you consider eliminating cheese for just a week? My aunt swore that her doctor told her that for every ounce of cheese she ate, she would retain 9 ounces in water. I LOVE cheese, so it's hard to do, but I'm off cheese this week. I calculated that at 4 oz. per day, I had been eating 1 3/4 POUNDS of cheese per week. I haven't been losing very well - a pound or two and see-sawing back and forth. I'm testing this to see if knocking out cheese (except for the 1/2 c. shredded I'm eating in a breakfast quiche spread over four days) will help jog my scales.

Are you walking every day? After that, I got nothing except good wishes for you.
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:12 AM   #3  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

Hi, fatmad. The only food items I see that could possibly be a problem are mayo, salad dressings/oils, and bleu cheese dip, due to the polyunsaturated fats in most vegetable and seed oils. Some people find that after they've stopped eating commercial mayo, salad dressings, etc., that have vegetable/seed oils, that they lose weight.

Could you use macadamia nut, walnut or olive oil for your oils, rather than the sunflower, corn, safflower, canola, etc.?

Here is some info on those oils/fats.

As far as what the foods themselves contain that might be causing troubles, it is possible you might be sensitive to casein or lactose. You could experiment with different kinds of dairy, so that you wouldn't necessarily have to give them up altogether. Here is some information on that:

http://www.plantpoisonsandrottenstuf...en-casein.aspx

and more info at this page:

http://www.plantpoisonsandrottenstuf...reference.aspx

Some are sensitive to lectins in plants, or salicylates, such as in tea.

Some are very sensitive to caffeine, in any amounts, due to the insulin response and other things. Some have to stop drinking tea.

Then, is there MSG or "natural flavor" in things such as the smoked salmon? Additives, chemicals, preservatives, and other things that aren't real foods, can cause troubles.

I lost fifty pounds by cutting out all prepared, packaged foods, and refined foods such as white flour, as well as the sugar/honey/artificial sweeteners/high fructose corn syrup, etc., before I started counting calories and carbs. It saved money, too, not buying salad dressings, dips, or anything pre-made.

If you are willing to experiment with those things, you might see a nice difference without needing to adjust the amount of food.

I have had times when, for no reason that I could recognize, I stopped losing weight, and had to start eating less of a particular category of food, or had to eat less altogether, in order to continue losing weight.

I choose my calories with care, as I have precious little room for food that isn't nutrient-dense. For example, I would rather eat 100 calories of bacon, beef or butter, than olive oil or avocado.

When looking at what folks eat, write, suggest, etc., I have noticed that those who maintain at higher weight levels for their height can often eat more things than those of us who wish to maintain at lower weight levels for our height. When studying the Maintenance Forum for things that would be useful to think about, I paid close attention to lifestyle/frame of reference, such as breadth of life experience/thinking style, age, diet, weight lost, and maintenance weight for that person's height.

Hope this helps a bit. Am sending you lots of good thoughts.

Last edited by SilverLife; 09-16-2010 at 10:00 AM. Reason: corrected error
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:35 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 218.2/176.6/128

Silverlife, that was very informative and helpful! Thanks so much for posting and it wasn't even for me! lol

I have lost/gained 60+ pounds 3 times now. I'm starting on the 4th time 5 months postpartum. The information you have posted will be so helpful in that journey!
Kyrren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:20 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Height: 5'4"

OK....first, a few questions:

* what is a pepperette and what's in it? What's it made of?
* what are the ingredients in the blue cheese dip?
* how large are the smoked salmon rolls? Did you make them yourself from lox and cream cheese or buy them already prepared?

Now, as you know, different individuals get stalled by different items....and since your menu looks good over-all....I will tell you which details *I* might have had problems with:

* the dairy: the cream cheese, the regular cheese (cheddar, swiss, etc.). I had to seriously limit my cheeses and cream cheese. The half and half in my coffee was not a problem, for some reason....but regular cheese and cream cheese could be a major problem for me. Cream cheese...could be a huge staller for me....had to really be careful, amount-wise.

* the beans: I don't think we're allowed to have any sort of beans...depending on how strict you're doing this. Definitely not allowed for induction.

* how much smoked salmon? Very very salty and could cause fluid retention.

* Pre-made items: was the blue cheese dip pre-made and if so, what are the ingredients? How about the salmon, cream cheese rolls? I made everything myself from scratch....no pre-made items.

* I had to be very careful how much avocado I ate...it could cause a problem for me.

* Too much or too little food....either one can cause a stall. We don't count calories but we can't just eat a ton of them.
Also....not enough fat in the menu....and when I say fat, I specifically mean butter and mayo. HAD to have adequate butter and mayo to maintain the weight loss. I didn't even use oil....just butter and mayo. It has to be the pure fat....not just the fats in things like dark meat, cheese. I slathered butter and mayo on everything, practically. Made a HUGE difference...at least for me.

dee

ADDED/EDIT: I cannot stress the butter/mayo thing enough...seriously. It was one of my cardinal rules...and at times, I had to force myself to eat them. I planned my menu so that I ate stuff that I could put butter and/or mayo on or could cook in butter. Put lots of butter on my veggies also.
I LOVE me some raw fish, esp. raw salmon....BUT...I HAD to cook it because I needed all that butter slathered on it.
I've read posts here where several women wrote that they dipped their raw veggies in the mayo jar....just to get the mayo in.
When I'd eat the fish....I would also drink most of the melted butter in the bowl also...just to get that butter in.

It was almost as if my body turned into this furnace....but it needed PLENTY of butter and mayo for fuel to keep it burning.

Last edited by Deena52; 09-16-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:40 PM   #6  

How much are your total carbs? When I add up w/o knowing your portion size I am estimating about 40. Are you checking for ketosis?

Ditto re the beans (high carb! even if high fiber).

I would try to also calc. your calories for a day or two to ensure you arent getting too many with all the mayo and sauce.

are you exercising?

Dont worry this may just be a plateau! How much weight have you lost in how much time?
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:20 PM   #7  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

ok, I was afraid people would say cut the cheese out, but what to have instead? For me, cheese makes boring food not so dull. Need something else wonderful.
BTW, the salad dressings are all homemade. Making my own mayo now. THe blue cheese is REnee's, no added sugar. there is canola oil in it tho.
Sigh* why can't I eat and lose weight the way others do?
BTW, have checked my thyroid numerous times, (runs in the family) but no, its still fine.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:33 AM   #8  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

Fatmad, it's hard for some of us. Am sending you lots of good thoughts.

I have times when I really have to work to "pick myself up, dust myself off, and start all over again."

I experiment, work, make progress, get stuck at a certain weight, maybe even a gain a pound or two, feel a bit discouraged, fiddle around a bit, and then get going again, change something to make my food plan cleaner, work, make progress, etc., and all in all, the progress gets results.

I wish you a lovely morning and a day of happy successes.
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:24 PM   #9  

Maybe try a completly different food list for 3 days? Stll atkins of course. Also. How many total carbs are you counting? How many from veggies?
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:28 PM   #10  
Less Juicey

Default Have you sent Jersey Gyrl a message?

Did you send Jersey Gyrl a private message with your original post? She's really helpful. I'm sending you lots of and good thoughts! Hang tight and tough!
Old 09-18-2010, 08:25 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Height: 5'4"

Fatmad~

You don't have to eliminate cheese altogether. I sprinkled it on veggies, on omelets, in salads, etc...feta, shredded cheddar, etc. all the time but just didn't eat plain cheese. To spark up a meal, it's fine. It comes down to amount....and cheese can be tricky. With Atkins, the body seems to have problems with only certain low-carb items....and I have no idea why.
But shredded cheese on your food.....you don't have to stop doing that. Just don't eat cheese as your main snack...for example. Cut out some of it. Use cheese as a condiment, to enhance food...but don't use it as any kind of course, on it's own. Use it sparingly.....I think they say no more than 3 oz. at the most. You really have to worry about dairy products on this diet for some reason.
Oh...and what is a pepperette? Never, ever heard of this.

Let me also add this. I gained tons of weight due to a medication I was put on and it literally shut down my metabolism. So initially I HAD to do a very strict and regimented Spartan induction diet. However, with time, my body seemed to get it's metabolism revving back to normal again and I feel sure that being on Atkins was a significant cause of this. Women have difficulty with slow metabolism as we get older.....so this can be an issue even if medication is not involved. I felt sure my thyroid was the problem...but no, labs were all normal. If you stick to strict induction for a bit....your body will get much better about honing your metabolism and showing weight loss.

deena

Last edited by Deena52; 09-18-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:46 AM   #12  
Less Juicey

Default Me too!

Deena, I was eating a lot of cheese and losing very slowly...or gaining, then losing. If we eat all 4 ounces a day we're allowed of hard cheese, that's 1 3/4 POUNDS OF HARD CHEESE per week! And some days, I ate more than 4 ounces.

I took Cher's suggestion and eliminated it for one week...with the exception of about 1/2 c. of cheddar I used in a recipe, and I consumed the recipe over the course of five days, so the cheese was spread out to a sprinkle a day. I also didn't eat cooked vegetables (two green salads, no tomatoes). I also didn't eat beef for a week. Awesome results: I lost 4 pounds last week.

Fatmad, tell yourself you'll try limiting your cheese to a "sprinkle" each day as a little test. See what happens...I could only do it by promising myself it was only for a week. But I love the results, so I'm promising myself I'll try it for another week.