Old 09-12-2010, 09:24 AM   #1  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default sweetner free day

While I have been able to stick to woe, I really haven't kicked my sugar habit, I have just substituted splenda. i love my diet schweppes and my homemade cheesecakes etc.
but I do listen to all of you, and realize that I will have to give it up, at least for a while. Today, no foods with sweetners. of any kind.
I'm kicking and screaming here, can you tell?

I will whine about this a LOT, so ignore me if you want!
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:52 AM   #2  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

Fatmad, congratulations! You will thoroughly enjoy being free of them. Am sending you lots of good thoughts.
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/295/175

Height: 5'6'

Does that include no diet drinks? Since I believe most diet drinks use Splenda, or something else. I know in the long run that I shouldn't have diet drinks, but I guess I need a bit before I'd give them up.
luckie13luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:13 PM   #4  
Madeleine

I usually drink diet schwepps ginger ale, as it uses splenda and not aspartame. But no, I am also not having any diet drinks today. Its part of the sweet addiction, so I am sticking to water and tea. I am in withdrawal now, and dying for a little something. or a big something. If the scale is happy in the morning I may believe I can get through it. I don't know if I can manage a week if I don't get great results. ack, I hate it.
But I have been reading and researching and am convinced the splenda is a part of my problem with slow weight loss.
ok, I WILL get though the night.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:57 PM   #5  

Fatmad, I used to drink diet tonic water with saccharine, as I didn't want to use Splenda or Aspartame. I think the saccharine slowed my weight loss and I could tell I didn't feel as well when I drank it.

While I was weaning myself off the artificial sweeteners, I used to drink seltzer water. I preferred seltzer water to soda water, as soda water is a tad salty. Once in a while, I drink seltzer water with a little fresh lemon juice or lime juice in it. I like it when it's not too fizzy.

Congratulations to you on your success!
Old 09-12-2010, 10:49 PM   #6  
Madeleine

I love any fizzy water, and sometime have perrier. I can't have lemon or lime with it, but may slip in a tiny bit of cranberry juice if needed. For today, I had tea this morning only, and just water all day. I have survived the day without the ginger ale or splenda. I just didn't like it so much. The splenda does not leave me feeling crummy or anything. But my weight loss is so slow I need to rev it up somehow, and have been convinced by everything I read, and by input from the chicks that I need to do this.
Dang, is all I can say.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:55 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/295/175

Height: 5'6'

Fatmad,

Well I hope you find it worth giving up! I'm sure making the changes will help boost your loss by some amount. Stay strong! The day's almost over!!
luckie13luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:50 AM   #8  

Fatmad, am sending you lots of good thoughts. The adjustment period does take deliberate effort, but once you've gotten through that, it's grand feeling clean. Some folks put the money that they would have spent on diet sodas in a jar, and spend it on something nice for themselves.

Here's to another clean day!
Old 09-13-2010, 07:10 PM   #9  
Madeleine

day two more than half over. had a soda water for the fizz. have already drunk my water for the day and then some. Sure seem to be thirsty, but I guess the rest of the time I have a cup of tea or a soda in there at some point.
Doing fine with food but really would like something sweet. No fruit on induction, or I would have some berries. but not yet. Will weigh in the morning and see if there is any movement on the scale. Hasn't budged in a week. ack.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:13 PM   #10  

Fatmad, congratulations! I often drink lots more water when leaving re-adjusting my food plan. Hope you get a good number on the scale tomorrow.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:48 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 180/175/130

Height: 5'5

I switched to Zevia soda made with stevia and I also use Truvia sweetener.

I eat 86% dark chocolate.

No more fake sugars for me!
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:06 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 173/ticker/129

Height: 5'4"

Fatmad, you have inspired me to give up most of the diet soda that I've been drinking. After my stash is gone, I'm not going to buy any more. I might have one when I'm out (ex., a diet coke at the movies), but no more!! Thank you for sharing!!!

Edited to add: Oh my gosh! Now I have an even better reason to not drink soda. Sometime in the last two days, I inadvertently drank a REGULAR mountain dew, not the Diet Mountain Dew that I usually drink! It must have been stocked wrong in the soda machine -- I didn't even pay attention to the can -- and quite honestly, they look so similar!! Ugh!!

No more carbs AT ALL for me today.

Last edited by SissieSue; 09-14-2010 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Add my "oh no!!"
SissieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:54 PM   #13  
Madeleine

ok, almost through day three. Did you notice I am counting? No weight loss this week at all. Sticking to plan, and having no sweetener. Hoping for a whoosh moment, I am telling you.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:56 PM   #14  

Fatmad, congratulations! Hope that whoosh comes soon.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:02 PM   #15  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Default It will come...

You'll get the whoosh, not to worry. I've kicked the diet soda habit completely. I drink water with fresh lemon, plain water, tea, coffee and some sparkling water when I miss the carbonation. But I haven't kicked the artificial sweetener habit entirely...I'll jump on an Atkins dessert recipe or sf jello in a minute.

I have always had a wicked sweet tooth, so I guess artificially sweetened desserts will be the last to go for me. I'm working on it. Silverlife, I'm going to try Stevia.

Good work, Fatmad!
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote