Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-14-2010, 12:05 PM   #1  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

Default Hip pain after running

I get pain in the back of my hip after my runs... not right away, but the next day like. I'll have a hard time getting up from sitting because the back of my right hip hurts this dull achy pain. It is only my right hip, never my left.

Anyone have any ideas why and what I can do to help this? I was hoping maybe some additional stretching would help. I really don't know if I have one leg longer then the other and can't afford to go to a chiro.
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:03 PM   #2  

It could be a couple of different things, but first let me ask...How long have you been running? How long have you had your shoes?

I know that when I first started out I was getting all sorts of weird pains all over my body and it was due to the fact that I had the wrong type of shoes. I went to a specialty running store and they put me on a treadmil and watched me run. They analyzed my foot placement and my gait and told me that I overpronate. They fitted with a pair of shoes and I've been pain free ever since.
Onsecondthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:10 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

You might also check into the shoes you are using. They might not be good for running and making something go out of line. I would just double check with your doctor and maybe see if they will refer you to someone to get your hip checked out.

I had to get new shoes from RoadRunners because of my foot pain and haven't had any issues since- they told me just cuz my old shoes were Nikes didn't mean they were good shoes. Go figure!

Last edited by beerab; 09-14-2010 at 01:10 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 205/172/125

Height: 5'1

I've been having hip pain too, after walking and running. The funny thing is, i've never had it before. Maybe it is my shoes! My pain is equal on both sides, and is on the sides of my hips, not the back.
kellost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:24 PM   #5  
Gotta run!

I've been running for about 10 months now, started with the c25k program and went from there. I don't remember my hip hurting like this in the beginning.

My shoes are almost new, I bought them in the beginning of August from a speciality running store. They did the whole watch me thing also and I seriously love my new shoes. All of my other pains (back, knee) went away when I bought new shoes except for this one.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:04 AM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

A few years ago when I had lower back hip pain it was because I didn't stretch enough after my run... Later I'll post some pics of the stretches I do...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:58 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 185/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

I'm not sure if you're describing the same type of pain that I had, but I had to stop running at one point because one of my hips kept hurting. The pain was in the back and when it got really bad, I could actually feel my IT band "clicking" when I walked. If you've ever experienced that, you'll know what I mean!

My chiropractor is really into yoga and recommended the half pigeon pose to stretch it out and it helped so much that I'm running again and I don't need to go to the chiropractor, yay! This youtube video shows how to do this stretch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGKzSnvahAI

I do this stretch before I go running, usually only on the side that's tight. I don't know how the muscle imbalance started, but I'm glad that I found a way to stretch it out
cheryl126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #8  

Like Cherly and Ilene said, it could be because you're not stretching enough. It could also mean that some of your left leg muscles are weaker than your right ones causing your right side to compensate thereby throwing off your gait. Have you ever tried lifting weights? Squats, lunges, leg presses, etc are all great for building up your various leg muscles. If you do individual leg exercises you'll be able to see whether one side is weaker than the other.
Onsecondthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:27 AM   #9  
Gotta run!

Thanks for the tips... and the yoga pose, I like yoga too I used to click with every step I took but the running is helping. I'm not sure how to do individual leg exercises without being able to use weight machines in a gym. I don't belong to a gym or have any of the equipment. I'm sure there's excercises out there, I'll have to google some I guess.