Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #1  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

Default Running help

I am not a runner. LOL. I am doing C25K...starting week 3 Wednesday hopefully. But I LOVE running, and someday would love to be a runner. Anyways. I have noticed as I am running several times a week, it seems like my right leg is getting most of the impact. I barely even feel my left leg at all, as far as the calf/thigh muscle burn that I usually get some of in my right leg. But it just feels like my right leg is sore after a run and I don't know exactly how to explain it right.
Anyways, does anyone know what could be causing this, and how do I correct it? I want to work on my form as I work through the C25K program because I know without it you can really hurt yourself. Anyone have any opinions/ideas that would help? I would really appreciate anything offered!
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #2  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

I'm glad you asked because I have the same problem. My left leg always get tired quicker than my right, and muscle soreness is always more intense in the left leg. (I'm left handed, so I wonder if I'm also "left legged" ....like my left leg is working harder than the right?)

Hopefully someone has an answer to this question!
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #3  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

its common for one side of the body to be stronger/weaker than the other side. I dont really notice it when im RUNNING, however when i do spin class its very noticable. My right leg gets noticably more tired/burning feeling. I dont kow if that means my right side is in fact stronger, and doing more work than my left side, or vice versa. I dont know what can really be done about it, but perhaps working on mobility exercises to balance out the imbalance? Strength training more on one side? ( although that doesnt really sound like a great idea). i have heard however, when there are significant imbalances, its a better idea to focus on uni-lateral movements, instead of traditional bi-lateral stuff. For example, do SINGLE-legged deadlifts, squats, lunges, etc, instead of regular squats and deadlifts, that way the weaker side HAS to work, and doesnt let the otehr side take over

just thoughts and ideas
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:26 PM   #4  
miamimelting

S/C/G: 239.5/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7

I'm a runner. For years I thought that the pain in my right hip was normal running problems. I'd stretch and stretch and stretch! I ended up going to a chiropractor a year ago and found out my right leg is 1/2 inch longer than my left! Since I've gone to the chiro I haven't not had that pain! I always felt like one of my legs was doing all the work. Go figure! I sleep better, recover from my runs better. Go see a chiro!
miamimelting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:18 PM   #5  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

I have the exact same issue!!! My right calf always burns and gets tired faster whilst I never feel anything with my left. I thought it was because I stand mostly resting on my right foot (a habit I formed because in my early teens I read somewhere that standing on body tilted on one foot made you look slimmer and more poised <rolls eyes> ) even though I'm trying to stop.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote