Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-05-2010, 10:01 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Default How did you get started?

I have a real reluctance to exercise that I would like to overcome - how did you "just do it"? I would love to hear how you got started and how you kept yourself going? I don't have the resources to join the gym but would like to start a walking routine - it just seems to get pushed to the bottom of my to do list and eventually off of it.

Thanks so much!

-Goldielockes
Goldielockes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:14 PM   #2  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

For me - I have to get up early and get it done and crossed off the list. I started out using exercise DVD's that I bought cheap on eBay or checked out from the public library. You can read reviews for them here:

http://www.videofitness.com/reviewsdb/

And - you can watch video clips of them here:

http://www.collagevideo.com/

Find something you can live with, commit to doing it 3 days a week for a month. Exercise is something your body wants, so you will naturally get to where you desire to move your body!

Last edited by mortonpixie; 09-05-2010 at 10:14 PM.
mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 155/ 129 /120

Height: 5'7"

Even if I'm tired, I ask my dog if he'd like to go for a walk & make sure he hears me. With him, if you say "The W word" you don't get any peace until you actually take him out. So I say it fast, spit it out, & then HAVE to take him out.

Besides, I love my dog so much & it makes him happy. He deserves his walk.
hippy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:58 PM   #4  
Vegging out

S/C/G: 268/ticker/148

Every day is a struggle with me, still. I don't mind doing it once I start doing it, I feel great when I finish, but it's just getting there. For me, I just have to take baby steps. First, go put on the sports bra. Then, since I hate having one on, I'm not going to just sit around in it. I might as well put my shoes on and go from there (I have my other clothes on, btw). Once I have those two little things done, it's just a matter of getting my body moving, so once I get those first few steps in, I'm set. I read one of your other posts, so I know you have a lot going on with school and kids and stuff, so chances are you don't have a lot of time for yourself, and when you get that time, you're probably exhausted. One nice thing about exercise though is that you get a little time to yourself, time to think, and moving will probably help give you a little burst of energy. So my advice would be to think of it not as exercise but as some me time, and come up with some small steps that will get you part of the way there (like getting into your workout clothes, shoes, etc). Good luck to you!
dudesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:16 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I incorporate it into my day as an activity to enjoy, rather than something I'm trying to get out of the way before I can get on with the rest of my day.

This morning, I'm meeting a friend for mountain biking.

Sometimes, when a friend and I want to hang out after work, we'll meet at the woods for a walk instead of going for a drink (or before going for a drink ).

Other times we'll go hiking together. Or to yoga class.

Even if it's just me, I make sure I have my clothes set out the night before, with my shoes unlaced and my socks in them - anything that makes it faster to get ready.

I recently found myself in the city with a few hours to kill, so I walked around for a while (I always keep walking shoes and socks in my car) instead of just sitting somewhere.

Once I start these habits, my body just starts to crave movement and it becomes easier.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:24 AM   #6  
Losing weight - Toning up

S/C/G: 159/128/120

Height: 5'7"

Well....I always have trouble getting myself to start the workout.
haha.
But I usually go great one week, and then I somehow allow myself to rest for the whole week next, and then again work out like crazy the next week. @@ I don't know, but at least I guess it still count although not very consistent. But oh well. I just think that at least I move my butt instead of laying around all month.
Annita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:28 AM   #7  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Goldie, I find I have to specifically schedule my exercise -- not "try to fit it in" or "think about doing it after x, y, z," but make it as high a priority as possible.

I completely agree with Dudesmom that exercise becomes a very important bit of "me-time" in a day that is mostly given over to caring for other people (kids, husband, home, etc). For me, it is also a huge stress release, and we could all use some of that!

When I got serious about losing weight I sat down with my husband and asked for his help in making my exercise schedule happen. He works about a gazillion hours a week and he has been very flexible and accommodating. I think he appreciates the results. It would have been a lot harder without him on board, and specifically asking for his help made him conscious of the commitment, if that makes sense.

Lastly, this may not be an option, but I always feel more motivated if I have cute outfits. I buy exercise gear at Target so it's not very expensive.
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:44 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 256/227/200

Height: 6'1"

I started walking around the block... 15 minutes then 20 after that 30. Then I bought a bike and started commuting to work. That was followed by rides after work... 3 miles then 5, 8, 10 and now up to 15 mile rides. Exercise is a drug, you would think that after pedaling for 15 miles you would be exhausted but for me is the other way around... it feels great! So get out there when time permits and have some fun.
Masher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 255/208/??

Height: 5'4"

I'm with the other Mom's. Exercise is ME time that I insist on fitting into the daily chaos. I get up early and jog 3x a week and do some sort of weight & resistance training 2x a week. After listening to me blather on about exercise my husband finally decided to jump on the wagon and we walk together 3-4 nights a week. Its become a nice quiet time for us. I'm comfortable leaving the kids alone while we walk...we all have cell phones and are only a couple miles away at most (my oldest is 13 and my youngest is 4 so they're fine). I've also started biking with my 6 & 10 year old kids which is fun. We go down and hike/swim in the river a lot too. So, exercise is a combination of very structured me time plus what ever I can involve my family in. My 13 year old is expressing interest in running which I'm going to encourage. I'm getting fit so I can be healthy when my great grand babies arrive some day and I want my kids to be just as healthy. Its easier when the family is on board with the plan too.
Tafadhali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:22 PM   #10  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

I learned that I am happier when I have regular physical activity. Not just mild-endorphin-happy, but it actually wards off depression and mood swings for me, espcially in the winter. For me, exercise is like preventative medicine.

That being said, I don't love it (much like meds you have to take that don't taste good ). So I have little motivators that I cycle through:
- I focus on my short-term weight loss goal.
- I focus on my various mini-goals, including events I'm going to go and old friends I'm going to see.
- I think about fitting into a new size of clothing.
- I affirm the positive changes in my body that have only happened through exercise - thigh muscles, ab definition, biceps.
- I make myself do it. Sometimes, I have to MAKE myself, but unless it's a planned rest day or there's something seriously wrong, most days I exercise and I don't give myself a choice. Just like I shower, wash the dishes, go to work . . . no choice.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:15 AM   #11  
Ilene the Bean

The way I look at workouts is that it's not an option, it's a must! Like brushing your teeth, taking a shower, paying your bills... You have no choice you MUST do it... and you can...As thesame7 said schedule it in and there is no turning back, just do it! I've never finished a workout and felt bad about it, I always feel so much better ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:23 AM   #12  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Two things:

1. I exercise first thing in the morning as part of my routine. It's as ingrained now as brushing my teeth, something I would never forget to do.

2. Goals. I set small, obtainable fitness goals each and every time I set out to exercise. And I achieve them each and every time too! I look forward to that feeling of pride every day. It's the best way to start my day that I can think of.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote