Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-07-2010, 01:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Default salad dressing ideas

I'm looking for some low-cal and healthy if possible salad dressings that of course taste good. I don't mind some healthy oils, so it doesn't have to be super low cal.

I usually use the Good Seasons dressing mixes with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar, I'm not really measuring things though, I do use alot less olive oil and more vinegar/water than it asks for and it lasts me entire week. But like I said, I'm not measuring how much oil I use so I just assume 100cals for it.

Maybe some ideas where I can easily measure and count out the calories?

Last edited by ringmaster; 09-07-2010 at 01:56 AM.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:35 AM   #2  
Vegging out

S/C/G: 268/ticker/148

Height: 5'6"

There are actually 0 calorie salad dressings out there made by Walden Farms, I believe. I've only tried one, the italian dressing, and it was surprisingly decent. They have a website that lists all their products and where you can buy them. You may be able to find them at a local store relatively easily, because they are also a kosher item. I googled low cal dressings recently, and you can find recipes that give serving sizes and calorie counts that you can measure, though I find those are hit or miss as to what actually tastes goo. Mostly miss, from what I've found so far! Hope you find something that works well for you!
dudesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

I love the Wishbone fat free Italian. But in the past I have used this on salads.....drizzle on olive oil, sprinkle w/ vinegar of your choice and then grind dried Italian seasoning over that. YUM!! (I buy the Italian seasoning in a grinder at my grocery store in the $1 section...it is so handy!)
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

I love this Blue Cheese recipe!
Servings: 8 • Serving Size: 2 tablespoons • WW Points: 1 pt
Calories: 41.7 • Fat: 2.6 g • Protein: 1.0 g • Carb: 29.1 g • Fiber: 0.3 g

* 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
* 6 oz fat free yogurt
* 1 tbsp light mayonnaise
* 1 tbsp lemon juice
* 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
* 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
* salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a small bowl, mash blue cheese and yogurt together with a fork. Stir in mayonnaise, lemon juice, vinegar, and garlic powder until well blended. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Makes 1 cup.
Shytowngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:24 PM   #5  
Future Skinny Pastry Chef

S/C/G: 285/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

I really enjoy Ken's Steakhouse and Newman's Own Lite Balsamic vinaigrettes.
Rashomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:50 PM   #6  
Knowing I'm worth it!

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

I buy balsamic vinegar (the best you can afford) and mix about 4 TBS to 1 TBS Dijon mustard, two or three cloves of finely minced garlic, pepper, 1 tsp honey, and 1 TBS olive oil. This serves two huge salads nicely if you don't like a ton of dressing, which I don't.
Teresa66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:29 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 247/ticker/160

Height: 5'4

maries makes yogurt fetta,
its not too many calories, and its per two tablespoons. i think it tastes great.

it was like 7 grams of fat compared to 24g in the ranch packet i was supposed to use on my salad from dominos.
Crystalynnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:19 AM   #8  
Lets try this again

Height: 5'5

I mix a few tablespoons of red wine vingear with 2 packs of Sweet N Low and 1/2 ounce of frozen blueberries (thawed in microwave, makes some juice!)
punkrprincessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:38 AM   #9  
~~transforming Diva~

S/C/G: 368-heaviest 299/ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

Here is an alternative I use when in a pinch - i squeeze fresh lime on my salad and mix in pico de gallo. It is actually very very good.
WillsAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:26 AM   #10  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I like plain balsamic vinegar. You can add spices to your liking but to me it's good alone--and it's easy.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:01 PM   #11  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I've accepted a challenge to never buy salad dressing again:
http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure....ing-again.html
Which, for me, comes with the corollary "never throw away or recycle a salad dressing bottle again."

I usually start with with extra virgin olive oil and organic apple cider vinegar. Since oil and vinegar don't mix, to make a salad dressing you need something else as an emulsifier. For an emulsifier, I choose mustard or ketchup or homemade preserves or virtually any other jarred or bottled product in the refrigerator. I always add something sweet and find that I can use a smaller percentage of oil that way and that my husband will eat it. A favorite dressing for fall is evoo, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, and real maple syrup. I never measure and just call my dressing a fat exchange, but that's just me.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote