Old 09-05-2010, 01:23 PM   #1  

Default Mayo question

Maybe mustard too.

I bought a small jar of Hellmans mayo. I looked at all the mayo at the store and they all listed sugar. Is that going to make a big difference having a tsp full. We are off to Costco (UK) and I am looking at getting the big jars there if it will work as I cant stand british mayo and only like American. ( British is like rubber) but dont want to if I cant eat it. I am so looking forward to full fat mayo. Been putting it off though.

Also, what about mustard? I love American mustard and French mustards. I am not sure if they have sugar. Any ideas?
frazzeled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/204/145

Height: 5'7"

I guess not all mayos are created equal. My mayo (I am in the US) is 0 carbs and 0 sugar. It is actually an off brand of mayo.
fatBgone07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 260.2/228/145

Height: 5'4"

Just add the 1 carb it has into your count if you are being super strict.. If not then still be aware that there is prob 1 carb in it.. I eat mayo freely, with out concern... I have never used alot, but I do like that with Atkins it is ok!! Hellman's is my brand...
hairchick40v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #4  

Cool thanks. Mayo isnt used as widely here as it is in the US, so there isnt a load to choose from. Its like rubber from the grocery store but Costco brings it from Canada so its the same as the US. I love full fat and so glad that I can use that now.
frazzeled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 241/194/160

Why not make your own?? Its easy, keeps well if you make small amounts, only takes a minute or so to make and you know whats in it

1 large egg yolk*
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
3/4 cup canola oil, divided

ombine egg yolk, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in medium bowl. Whisk until blended and bright yellow, about 30 seconds.
Using 1/4 teaspoon measure and whisking constantly, add 1/4 cup oil to yolk mixture, a few drops at a time, about 4 minutes. Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup oil in very slow thin stream, whisking constantly, until mayonnaise is thick, about 8 minutes (mayonnaise will be lighter in color). Cover and chill. do ahead Can be made up to 2 days ahead. Keep chilled.
Variation:
To make aioli, add 1 minced garlic clove to the egg mixture, and substitute extravirgin olive oil for the canola oil.
Shells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:39 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 241/194/160

That is just one of many recipes you can use but they are all essentially the same
Shells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:41 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/ticker/129

Height: 5'4"

I've been eating Hellman's (although in the West its called "Best Foods" brand -- I think the two companies merged). I've been worried about the sugar too, so based on a tip from someone else on a low-carb board, I ordered Duke's mayonnaise, which is a mayo that's popular in parts of the U.S. south. Duke's doesn't have any sugar.

Here's a link to the web site. They'll probably ship internationally: http://www.dukesmayo.com/

Although, as Shells noted, it might just be easier to make your own. If you've got a copy of Julia Child's cookbook, there's a good recipe in there :-)
SissieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:56 PM   #8  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

I feel so bad for anyone who doesn't have Duke's Mayonnaise in her grocery. It is THE mayonnaise of the South, and we Southern chicks love our mayo!

Homemade mayonnaise is delicious, though. If I didn't work outside my home, I'd make yummy garlic mayo and herb mayonnaises. I've made them for special dinners or recipes; they're out of this world.
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:06 PM   #9  
cher37

For us Northern chickies ... I love Loblaws No-Name Mayonnaise & with zero carbs, I can't go wrong
Old 09-05-2010, 10:21 PM   #10  

I'm from the south and have never heard of Duke's mayonnaise. I loved mayo as a kid..well we call Miracle Whip mayonnaise around here :P .but just not that much into it anymore...
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:56 AM   #11  

S/C/G: starting size 18/ Goal size 10

Height: 5'5''

I have always been a Hellmans girl, could eat it by the jar full.
But i think i might just order a jar of duke's.
ghost girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:59 PM   #12  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I just read my hellmans container, it SAYS sugar as one of the later ingredients, but claims no carbs in a tsp, so the amount of sugar must be quite low. It states 10 cals, and a gram of fat has 9 cals.......
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:34 PM   #13  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

Olive oil, walnut oil, or macadamia nut oil are all good oils for making your own mayo.
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:16 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazzeled View Post
Maybe mustard too.

I bought a small jar of Hellmans mayo. I looked at all the mayo at the store and they all listed sugar. Is that going to make a big difference having a tsp full. We are off to Costco (UK) and I am looking at getting the big jars there if it will work as I cant stand british mayo and only like American. ( British is like rubber) but dont want to if I cant eat it. I am so looking forward to full fat mayo. Been putting it off though.

Also, what about mustard? I love American mustard and French mustards. I am not sure if they have sugar. Any ideas?
MUSTARDS WOULD BE A BIG FAT ZERO JUST TO BE CAREFUL CHECK ON SWEET MUSTARD.......MOST ARE ZERO
kellyd23 is offline   Reply With Quote