Old 09-04-2010, 01:36 PM   #1  
TEAM CUPID & BL BLUE TEAM

S/C/G: 306/see ticker/153

Height: 5'3

Default My introduction to this area

Hi y'all! I've just discovered this place a week or so ago, and have been hanging out mostly in the 300+ board. I wanted to wander over and introduce myself, and hopefully be able to join in with you gals.

My name is Jackie, and I just turned 34 a couple weeks ago. I've been married to a wonderful man for 15 years, and we have 4 awesome kids (ages 6-13). I homeschool, and am a part time self employeed photographer.

My highest weight was a few months back at 306. I started about 1.5 months ago on my healthy journey. I refuse to think of myself as dieting, because I want this to be a lifestyle change not only for myself, but for my family as well. My dh was diagnosed with diabetes around the same time, and it was a real eye opener for me. Our health isn't guaranteed. Our lives aren't guaranteed. I don't want to hurry death up for me or my children because of my eating habits.

I've had issues with my weight since I was a teenager. Although looking back I would kill to be that size again. And I'm g oing to kill to get there... Kill the old me that overeats and under-excercises.

We recently bought a house, but just prior to that I had reached my highest ever weight. For years my weight has kept me inside the house as much as I can manage. I hate going outside. I hate being seen. I totally DESPISE shopping (for ANYTHING.. especially clothes and food), etc. I just feel like a monster all the time. So my 4 walls becomes my sanctuary. And I hate it. I used to be outgoing and have friends. Now I have me, my husband, and my children.

And you... my internet friends.

So I decided it was time to REALLY and truly do something about it. I gave up my dr peppers... my one true addiction. Gave them up and haven't looked back. I miss them occasionally but I make it through one craving at a time. When I looked this morning, I was down 21 lbs. I have a lot to lose, and I know it will take me at least a year and a half.. probably more to reach my goal weight (which is 153). I'll put this out there... very ashamedly. My starting weight was 306. I'm now 285.8 (as of last Sunday). My goal is 153... half of me. I have speech all laid out for that day!

My goal is to have lost enough weight by May to feel comfortable enough in my body to have a boudoir session done for my husband for our anniv. We will see... I think I'll still be over 200 by then, so I may weight. I don't know if my self esteem issues will stop me.

What do I need help with?? Everything. I need meal ideas, recipes, food advice. I desperately need someone to push me to exercise. I do so much better with challenges, or competition. Somethign to give me a REASON to get my big booty up off this couch.

I'll do all I can to help you also!! To be the support you need on a bad day, the cheerleader for you when you accomplish a new victory. I'll do my best to help you along the way.

Well, that's me... long winded. LOL
JackieHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #2  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

Hi Jackie - Welcome to the 100lb Club and especially to 3FC!!!

I started where you are now back in February and hope to be in Onederland by Columbus Day (my very own undiscovered country as it were!). I think your goal of 153 in a year and a half is totally realistic - slow and steady is the way to win this race! We'd all love to be thinner faster but to get there and stay there it's better to do it slow and steady.

Are you following a specific plan? Knowing that will help a great deal with meal ideas.

As for exercise - I keep reading here that losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise which is reassuring for me since I don't exercise much. Mostly I've just walked my dogs about a mile a day - I used to just poke along while they explored the woods but these days I walk at a very brisk pace and go further than I used to. It's just so much easier now with 70 fewer pounds to carry up the hills with me! I also love to play my Wii Fit Plus, which is hardly a real work-out but if you're one of those people who hardly ever gets up and moves then it sure feels like a work out. And it's fun! Which keeps me doing it over and over and over. The kids enjoy it too and we love trying to beat each other's scores - which also keeps me doing it over and over. But that's all the exercise I've been getting (while eating about 1500 calories a day of healthy whole foods) and I'm down 70 pounds in six months. I know the weight will come off harder as I weigh less but the exercise is so much easier now that I find myself doing more of it and not minding.

Good Luck on this journey!!!
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:44 PM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Welcome over here!

One of the most incredible findings for me as I have done this is that you don't have to get to goal to start feeling amazing. Many of those social issues you are struggling with will stop well before goal.

Do you have any mini goals for yourself? I love breaking down my full weight loss into smaller goals because I know how daunting the entire amount feels.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:30 PM   #4  

Vlada, I totlaly agree. I don't mind taking a while, as long as it's a steady ride. I did some great exercising yesterday (I like to do some high "aerobic" wii sports. LOL). I also have the wii fit plus, wii active (that kicks my butt so I don't use it too much yet), and just dance. I hope to do at least 20-30 minutes a day. Eventually I hope to get more. But my focus is mainly on our food intake.

I'm not following a specific plan. I've replaced nearly all our white flour with whole wheat, getting rid of sugar, processed foods, etc. Focusing on mainly whole foods, veggies, fruits, and mostly lean meats. Just trying to make good healthy choices.

Eliana.. I have several mini goals. I hope to lose 12 lbs in September, 40 by Christmas, 100 by my anniversary (end of may), and 120 by my birthday (August 16). Most of my goals tend to be more health related. I got rid of my sodas because of one goal. I am drinking about 160 oz of water from another. Trying to make getting all my veggies in every day is one I'm working on right now. Not to mention journalling and blogging daily.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 310/281/160

Height: 5'10"

Hi Jackie, I saw your post on my thread and wanted to come over and thank you. Now that I've read your post I think you have a handle on things I'm so surprised at what a difference cutting out the processed foods and sodas has made! I think you will do fine. I love that you have things to look forward to as you progress...love the photograph idea for the DH...I might have to steal that one...lol.
Gamecockgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:21 PM   #6  

Steal away!! I hope he likes it.

I was just awed by how similar our stories were. It sounds like we are walking the same road right now.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 310/281/160

Height: 5'10"

I know! I thought the same thing! Plus we are both from the south so I know we are both battling the southern food EVERYWHERE syndrome! Southerners love their soul food, and that means deep fried EVERYTHING! lol. Maybe it will help us keep each other on track
Gamecockgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:50 AM   #8  

YES!!! It amazes me how much temptation is EVERYWHERE. Fried food, cheesy food, delectible food. I went to a wedding yesterday, and the biggest thing for me was the bacon and cream cheese filled jalepeno poppers. They looked sooooooooooo good.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:55 AM   #9  

I totally understand your Dr. peppers. I am addicted to coke. I can't just have one. It's horrible. But I'm off it and I'm staying off it. Caffeine is my big addiction and getting rid of it first is hard, but important.

Good luck with your journey!

ReitmansFatGirl
ReitmansFatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:58 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 110/96/65

Height: 170

lol welcome to you and to myself
jane17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:55 AM   #11  
Restart Date: 10/25/2009

S/C/G: 215/160/115 HW: 235

Welcome!

I too have cut processed food almost entirely out of my diet. It's funny now when I shop it seems like at least 80% of the stuff in the grocery store isn't "real" food.
lovemyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:18 AM   #12  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

hey, Jackie, 21 lbs is great! congrats!

my highest was 330, though I list 320 here. I still keenly remember going into a large size clothing store at or near my highest weight and not being able to fit into anything.

I agree with Eliana that you'll find many benefits, mentally and physically, before you reach goal. I bet you're feeling them already.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote