General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-02-2010, 08:40 AM   #1  
The Last 10lbs!

Default Canning/Preserves Jars?

I didn't really know where else to put this but was hoping someone might be able to help!

I want to make some chutney for Christmas gifts but wasn't sure if these jars would be suitable. We go through A LOT of peanut butter so they would be perfect to use. I doubt I can use the lids as they are plastic but with new lids that are appropriate for the acidity levels of my chutney, would they be okay? Are they able to stand the heat of a water bath? Am I likely to find lids that fit them?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by freedomreins; 09-02-2010 at 08:40 AM.
freedomreins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:17 AM   #2  
from Here to There...

S/C/G: 256.2 lbs/241.2 lbs/120 lbs

Height: 5'4"

I don't know that brand of PB, but if it's a glass jar and the canning lids fit properly, it should be ok. The shape might be a problem as it could be difficult to get air out of the 'shoulders' of the jar. If the jars are plastic, I'm afraid it could leach plastic chemicals into the food. When you can food it's at very high heat. I think it's worth buying glass jars if you have none to recycle; they don't cost that much and they last forever!

Good luck!
SeaWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #3  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Are these jars made of plastic or glass?
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #4  
The Last 10lbs!

Sorry, I should have said. They are glass, just the lids are plastic.

Thanks SeaWave - I was hoping to find some around the house first and then buy more if I needed them.

Last edited by freedomreins; 09-02-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #5  
The Last 10lbs!

This is my first time canning/preserving anything - anyone a regular at this and have any tips for me?
Old 09-03-2010, 02:59 PM   #6  
from Here to There...

I've done a lot of canning in the past. A few tips off the top of my head:

Can I be on your Xmas gift list???
          Old 09-03-2010, 03:31 PM   #7  
          The Last 10lbs!

Haha thanks SeaWave! I am planning to bring some home to Canada but sadly I'll be in Calgary not Ottawa, otherwise absolutely you could be on my list! I hope it goes well Thank you for the tips, I will keep that in mind and open the window in the kitchen!!

Have you used jars like this before? http://www.jamjarshop.com/shop/produ...atid=6&pid=145 With the screw top? How do you seal them as I've not been able to find much about these? Do you just put the stuff in the jar when both are hot and screw on? Then do you put it in a water bath or not?

Also, what's the chances of a jar used for pickles or a jar used for peanut butter not being able to withstand the heat and exploding on me? Would it be safer to buy proper jars? I am on a budget but also trying to save the planet and do some recycling of our jars!

Thank you!

Last edited by freedomreins; 09-03-2010 at 04:00 PM.
          Old 09-03-2010, 04:58 PM   #8  
          from Here to There...

I've never used those screw tops before, nor have I even seen them. I've always used the two-part lids.

Wrt jars, I wouldn't expect you to have problems with recycling the glass jars. Sometimes, you might get one that cracks from over use, but you can get that with canning jars as well (although I never have).

There are a lot of Internet sites that have detailed info regarding canning - Bernardin.ca is a good one. They make canning jars, and generally know what they're talking about! Good recipes there too, if you need some. I suggest you read up there so you're sure you don't miss anything. Have fun, and
          Old 09-06-2010, 08:02 AM   #9  
          The Last 10lbs!

Thanks SeaWave! I've spent SO much time on preserving/canning websites lately and it seems so hard to get a solid answer about reusing jars and using screw-top lids. Will keep searching! thanks again!