Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 255/208/??

Height: 5'4"

Talking Jogged a full 5K!!!

I did it this morning! I got really close on my run Wed, but this morning I nailed it. I jogged a full 5K in just under 42 min. I feel great too. Nothing really hurts, I feel full of energy which is weird. Usually after a run I'm beat. Maybe it's the high of victory! I have never run that far in my entire life. Not when I was younger, not when I was thinner. Never.

So, now that I can do it the next step is shaving down the time. I'd love to be able to run it in 30 min, but I'll take 35-40. Wonder how long it'll take me to get there.

Any tips for improving time? I'm not going to really worry about it for another week or two. I'm just gonna keep running the distance 3 times a week and let my body build endurance (the last mile is still a killer for me). After that though I'll need an official plan for pushing the pace.

Oh, I discovered that walking a 1/2 mile is awesome as a warm up. Best transition into running I've had yet. Walked the same 1/2 mile back to the house as a cool down. I'm wondering if that played a part in me feeling so good post run.

Liz
Tafadhali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:29 PM   #2  

Height: 5'8"

Wow, I cant imagine!
Good job!
BlueFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 364/ticker/199

Height: 5'11"

Excellent work! I can't wait until the day I can jog 3 full miles.
Sonata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #4  
Vegging out

S/C/G: 268/ticker/148

Height: 5'6"

I'm still working my way there, so I have no advice as to how to improve your time, but I wanted to say great job! I'm working on just getting to the 5k mark, and then I'll increase my speed from there. Congrats to you!
dudesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:03 PM   #5  

Height: 5'0"

ALRIGHT!!!!! What an accomplishment!

I'm on week 2 of C25K and I dream of the day I can jog for that long....
leannerenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:31 PM   #6  

Thanks so much y'all! I honestly can't believed I'm able to do it. It seems so far, but when I get going I just get in a 'zone' and go. It's a cool feeling and if you keep at it you'll get there. At some point you're gonna think you can't go any further, and then you will a d you wont want to stop! It's addictive!
Old 09-03-2010, 04:42 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 302/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Way to go! I fell off the C25K wagon, but want to hop back on - I'll use you for motivation!
fitkristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:27 PM   #8  

Hey, anything for motivation is a good thing! Go for it!!
Old 09-05-2010, 05:17 AM   #9  
Nutella Girl

S/C/G: 197 / 135 / 140

Height: 5'5''

Congratulations! I hope to join you in that in a couple of months.
As for tips, a friend told me to chug water and make sure I take a couple of deep breaths to refresh myself whenever I felt down. It helps me along a bit but that last stretch is so draining.
imperialistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:07 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafadhali View Post
Thanks so much y'all! I honestly can't believed I'm able to do it. It seems so far, but when I get going I just get in a 'zone' and go. It's a cool feeling and if you keep at it you'll get there. At some point you're gonna think you can't go any further, and then you will a d you wont want to stop! It's addictive!
You're totally right about the zone. I'm on week 9 of my c25k (running 30 minutes straight) and I remember just a few weeks ago it was all I could do to jog 5-10 minutes. Now it's no big deal it all, there is definitely a "zone" you get to where you just keep chugging along. And afterward you feel great.

CONGRATULATIONS on your accomplishment :-) You are inspiring. I will be watching this thread because I, too, am looking for ways to increase my speed.
Allowatt is offline   Reply With Quote