Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-03-2010, 06:25 AM   #1  
miamimelting

S/C/G: 239.5/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7

Default New Running Shoes?

I've lost 28 pounds now. I'm losing about an average of 5 lbs a week. Should I wait till I'm closer to my goal to get new shoes? Are my feet going to get smaller also? I don't want to spend $100 on a pair of good running shoes to only have them not fit well in a month.

Any runners out there who have lost weight and dealt with this shoe problem?
miamimelting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:29 AM   #2  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I have always loved shoes... b/c no matter how much I gain or lose, my shoe size never changes. The only time my feet got chubby was when I was PG and even then, most all of my shoes still fit.

But I guess it depends on the person... I think some people do lose/gain in their feet.

Either way - if you are running, you should have a pair of good running sneaks!
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 255/208/??

Height: 5'4"

I have lost in my feet! It's so weird but all of my shoes are loose. Who would have thought that feet would get fat.

I'm down 32 lbs and I've started jogging three times a week, just worked up to 5K. I'm far from any kind of goal weight, but I'm going this weekend to get pro fitted for good shoes. They're just too important for preventing injury to skimp on. Besides, running shoes should be replaced fairly often. They're not like other shoes that you keep around for forever. At higher weights like we're at, it's even more important that you have a good shoe that will help cushion the impact. Jogging/running is so high impact! I have a nice pair of Adidas but I know I need something better.

I can't wait to get my new shoes. Can't wait for my first run in them.

Liz
Tafadhali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:15 PM   #4  
Roly-Poly Jock Girl

S/C/G: 342/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I think it depends on the person--if your feet are chubby, then they'll get smaller as you lose weight. That said, if you've started a running program I can't emphasize enough the importance of quality running shoes that have been fitted for you by a fit expert. Not only will they make your runs much more enjoyable, but they will help prevent injury.

I noticed my shoes getting looser more in my sandals and dress shoes--sneakers were much more forgiving. If you're already running, I'd go ahead and invest now--chances are, you're not going to lose so much in your feet that your shoes fly off, so you should be ok to wear them until it's time to replace them. At that point, you'll probably have lost enough weight that it would be a good idea to get re-fitted anyway.
BluCypressLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:37 PM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Get the shoes. Even if you lose weight in your feet you can tighten the laces and keep going. Your feet are not likely to get shorter.

Also, regardless, how long is it going to take for you to be "close enough"? By then you will probably need new shoes anyway. If you are working out on a regular basis, 6 months is plenty long to keep shoes.

That being said, when you do lose weight get professionally refitted and get your gait re analyzed. Many people change their shoe needs as they lose weight and many running stores will put you in higher stability shoes at a higher weight REGARDLESS of your actual gait.

Last edited by ennay; 09-03-2010 at 11:39 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote