Old 09-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #1  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Default It's official! My pop addiction is CURED!

Yippy! I gave up pop back in November of last year, so just shy of ten months ago! I've done it before. I think the longest stint was six months.

You know how I know that this is it?

Because I started feeling like crap last night and have felt like crap all morning, and I DID NOT THINK ONCE ABOUT POP until just a few minutes ago when I realized that when my throat used to feel like this, my first craving was GOTTA HAVE POP!

When I have drainage in the back of my throat (sorry!), I want the fizz to scratch my throat and water somehow has always tasted gross during that time. But now...it's just what I drink, so it makes no difference.

I'm cured!! Now if I can just cure my allergies.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:14 PM   #2  

Height: 5' 8"

Eliana - That is great!

I heard that this fall was supposed to be one of the worst in years, I think it was because of the ragweed. The best advice I can give you for your allergies is to take your allergy medicine on a regular basis. Knock on wood, it has really helped me this year even though I have been jogging first thing in the morning, which is not suggested for those with seasonal allergies.
envelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #3  
Calorie counter

Yeah, I've been taking it for a month because it takes two weeks to start working and my allergies always hit when I start back to school. School buildings are horrible places for allergies. Two years ago my Claritin stopped working so someone advised switching every few years. I started taking Zyrtec. Now the Zyrtec's not working. I think it's time to switch again. I'm debating going back to Claritin or trying Allegra again. That stopped working 4 or 5 years ago. I didn't know you became immune to them. I wonder now if they eventually start working again.

Last edited by Eliana; 09-02-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:03 PM   #4  
Professional dieter

S/C/G: 250/232/130

Height: 5'3"

Congrats! I have been toying with the idea of giving up diet soda all together, but my husband drinks it like it is going out of style. So, that would be hard. I have, however, decided to limit the amount. I used to drink like 5 or 6 cans a day, and now I limit myself to one, and I don't even usually drink that.
Jennie527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 291.2/287.7/250

Height: 5'2

Congrats! I think I kicked the habit too. I used to belong to MDA (mountain dew anonymous) and now I haven't had any pop in over a month! I am so proud of myself.
mommy1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:31 PM   #6  
Calorie counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy1028 View Post
Congrats! I think I kicked the habit too. I used to belong to MDA (mountain dew anonymous) and now I haven't had any pop in over a month! I am so proud of myself.
Way to go!!

It's a hard one to give up. And it was full-sugar all the way for me because sweeteners give me migraines. I was a major pop addict. I limited myself to 1-2 a day, but it was 1-2 EVERY day and I wanted more! The problem was, that's the only liquid I got all day. I was smart enough to know I shouldn't have more than that, but too stupid to realize I still needed more liquid in the form of WATER.

Last edited by Eliana; 09-02-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 291.2/287.7/250

Height: 5'2

I've noticed that water quenches your thirst more than a few cold pops do. It also fills me up so I don't want to go eat a whole lot. I drink a glass before every meal and almost always have food left on my plate because I am too full to eat it.
mommy1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:38 PM   #8  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

I knew I kicked that habit when i let myself have a coke cause it was in my calories, hadn't had one in months . . . . couldnt drink it, tastes nasty to me now

Congrats to you all for kicking that habit!!
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #9  
Calorie counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coondocks View Post
I knew I kicked that habit when i let myself have a coke cause it was in my calories, hadn't had one in months . . . . couldnt drink it, tastes nasty to me now

Congrats to you all for kicking that habit!!
I've had sips twice and thought it was super sweet...but I liked it. I just have to stay away from it.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:05 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 330/325/170

Doesn't it feel great? I gave up soda (diet too) in November 2008, and I haven't missed it at all. (And I used to have a 2-liter Mountain Dew a day habit).
StarvingPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:13 PM   #11  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

If you're still looking for fizzies to scratch your throat, sparkling mineral water is awesome. And calorie/chemical/artificial sweetener free!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #12  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Congrats!
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:59 PM   #13  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

I need to do this. I have given up pop at times, but I always come back to it. I just have it once and the craving kicks in. I have been drinking Pepsi max, artificial sweeteners don't really effect me. But I still know its a bad habit...I eventually want to have it as a once in awhile treat. But it has been helpful in helping me get rid of the full sugar stuff. I love the taste of Pepsi Max now...I am not even tempted to buy the full sugar stuff.
But so great!
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:37 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4

Right now I'm struggling with giving up soda and it's soooo hard! I'm doing pretty good this week, only because I've replaced soda with Snapple lol. I'm doing good with just one or two a day, and lots of water!

The only consolation I have is that Snapple is at least all [or mostly] natural and has no high fructose corn syrup!
althepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #15  
Shooting Star

S/C/G: 261.2/245.8/199

Height: 5'7.5"

How wonderful!

I dream of curing my soda addiction. It's just so ingrained. At like 12 years old I was drinking 64oz of diet pop a day. Now it's more like I soda binge when I'm out, but I don't drink it at home anymore.

And I'll go for a week or so without one, but then I break and if I have one, I HAVE to have another.
StarGetsFit is offline   Reply With Quote