General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-29-2010, 12:59 PM   #1  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Default Just ordered some horror films!!

Who here like horror films? I'm a BAD horror film junky, and I mean the bad ones. The faker the better!

I love to watch these movies for Halloween.

I'm starting the kids out young. They're 8 and 10 and I just ordered Ghostbusters and Gremlins. I'm protective of what they watch, but the 8 year old already saw Gremlins at a friend's house. I was really angry about that because it seems to me that was worth a phone call to find out if my child was allowed to watch that movie. The answer would have been NO! But now that he's seen it, I figure why not. And of course the 10 year old wants to see it because his little brother had.

And for me?! Nightmare on Elm St. movies 1-4. I am giddy!

Now I just have to find someone who will watch them with me!! DH will not.

Last edited by Eliana; 08-29-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:06 PM   #2  
Haley wants to run!

Height: 5'9"

i don't like scary movies...i get scared way too easily lol and i don't like it lol
Haley8203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:15 PM   #3  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

we have Night of the Living Dead and Frankenstein on DVD. It may be silly, but I have such a hard time watching NOTLD at night! ha. As old and cheesy as that movie is, it still freaks me out! have fun!
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Oh I LOVE bad horror movies, as does my best friend. Teeth, Ice Spiders, Lake Placid 3, Zombie Strippers (freaking hilarious!). There's just nothing like a bad horror film!
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 266/216/166

Height: 5' 1"

I love Halloween time because practically every channel plays some sort of horror movie. NOTLD the original is actually pretty creepy, so I don't blame you dragon. I only have Saw movies in my collection but there are a crap-load more I want. I really want House of 1000 Corpses, although it's more just plain disturbing than anything, and the big one I want is I Drink Your Blood which I've never seen but I've heard it's a really scary one. Has anyone seen the tv series uhm...Masters of Horror? It's like the cheesey-scary kind of show but it's on the Reelz channel (if you get it) and it's on late on Sunday nights but I watched it a couple of times and it was fairly creepy.

Last edited by bunnythesAINT; 08-29-2010 at 01:47 PM.
bunnythesAINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:47 PM   #6  
Calorie counter

Oh, I haven't seen any of the above mentioned! I will have to check those out.

I saw Body Snatchers as a kid, unbeknownst to my parents. I remember loving it but haven't seen it since.

Other favorites: Halloween (except movie 3...what was the point?), The Exorcist (!), Friday the 13th, Amityville Horrors, Blair Witch, Poltergeist (but only the first one), and The Village. The last isn't really a horror film, but it sort of fits. I really liked that one.

Last edited by Eliana; 08-29-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:50 PM   #7  
Calorie counter

Bunny, I love all the movies on the networks that time of year too! That's how I saw "Constantine" and I forgot about that one. I like that one too.

There are so many movies I haven't seen! I've never seen Saw but all my junior high kids tell me I need to. I just wish there was someone to watch them with.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:30 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

In my opinion, Saw (and its ilk) are a different kind of horror - more like torture-horror, which I just am not a fan of.

As far as traditional horror movies, The Ring really scared me! I was watching Paranormal Activity by myself and I nearly had to turn it off. I also liked The Ruins, but possibly because I was a huge fan of the book. The Descent also scared the bejesus out of me.

If you want a classic, I love The Changeling with George C. Scott.

Last edited by Glory87; 08-29-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:32 PM   #9  
weight, be gone!

S/C/G: 227/191/125

Height: 5' 4"

I LOVE horror movies!!!
Really scary ones, obviously fake, I love them all. I'm with Bunny on House of 1000 Corpses... and of course, Devil's Rejects. Have 'em and ended up adding the Bluray versions, lol. Christine is an all-time favorite.

Eliana, if you really like B-horror, you'll have to check out Night of the Lepus.... probably one of my all-time fave B-films. Also bad but a bit disturbing - It's Alive!, It Lives Again, and It's Alive 3 - Island of the Alive. Another is Motel ****.

Wow, I could go on and on and on!!

Last edited by lolcat; 08-29-2010 at 03:34 PM.
lolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:30 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 181/175/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnythesAINT View Post
and the big one I want is I Drink Your Blood which I've never seen but I've heard it's a really scary one. .
it's kind of funny, depending on your sense of humor. It's about satanic hippies tripping on lsd, and yeah there's some gore in it, but it's all very kitschy.

On that note, i am a HUGE horror fan. I kind of got into it as a kid with the exorcist, and the special fx were fascinating, so i just never really stopped watching them. I'm a big fan of foreign horror now, korean, chinese, french... etc. Though there are still some i cannot and refuse to watch, like I Spit on your Grave, because of really graphic rape scenes.

Last edited by therex; 08-30-2010 at 12:33 AM.
therex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:54 AM   #11  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Kind of ot but my future son in law has a website, http://jimmofthedead.com/post/. He reviews horror/gory movies as he is a huge fan. Not my cup of tea though. I prefer thrillers rather than horror.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:39 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

LOL, was good to see Teeth on this list, can't remember where it was I saw the ad for it first, but ended up watching it, and laughing so hard. I love horror movies, and psychological thrillers, with the exception of SAW, I thought it was it was too much. The old horror, suspense, thrillers, gory movies are the best. The original Cape Fear just creeps me out, and a great scary movie (though not horror) is Wait Until Dark with Audrey Hepburn. It still holds up now.
My boyfriend and I watch episodes of MST3K (Mystery Science Theater 3000 to those not in the know), and they watch all kinds of B movies, sometimes horror, sometimes comedy, all horrible, and make fun of them. The audience gets to watch along. It's a great way to see old movies that you wouldn't normally.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:27 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 266/216/166

Height: 5' 1"

Thanks therex, I'll try and see it sometime here.
lolcat-
Yes, yes, yes! Have you seen Rob Zombie's Halloween re-boot, re-makes, whatever they're called?
bunnythesAINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #14  
Spartan Kitty

S/C/G: 270/*ticker*/160?

Height: 5'4"

I <3 horror movies, I could talk about them for hours! Almost 3/4 of my dvd collection (about 500 dvds) is horror or thriller or slasher movies! And almost all of my netflix queue is too. I also love Teeth! It was great. The Rob Zombie remake of Halloween (haven't seen the second one yet, but it's on my netflix queue) was good, but I really appreciated the original more. The original is kind of cheesy as far as acting (fan of scream queen Jamie Lee Curtis anyone?) but it had way more suspense than the remake. And the suspense of slasher films is what makes them great. Remakes are generally lower on my list than originals, just because I think if you're going to make a slasher film (which itself is really overdone) you should make some effort to be original.

My fav horror movie of all time is A Nightmare on Elm St. 3 : The Dream Warriors. It was by far the BEST Nightmare movie of the bunch (even including the New Nightmare and Freddy vs. Jason). I also like classics like Nosferatu, and The Living Dead series. I actually met George A. Romero and Tom Savini (the makeup artist for most of the living dead movies) once, they came to my school! Also used to shop at the mall that the original Dawn of the Dead was filmed in. :-)

Other favs include Hostel (totally torture horror, but freaked me out for days!), Friday the 13th (original, not the remake), 28 Days Later and Quarantine. And any film based on a Stephen King book, altho Dreamcatcher kind of reeked. As for really bad horror movies, the worst one I ever saw was Terror Toons. So ridiculous, bad acting, bad plot, bad costumes, but hilarious for all that.

As for my kids watching horror movies, no way! Not until they're teenagers. At least, I'm hoping thats the way it works out. lol But I'd also like them to not date until they're 30, so obviously I'm chalk full of unrealistic expectations.

Last edited by Latchkey Princess; 08-30-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Latchkey Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:45 PM   #15  
Spartan Kitty

S/C/G: 270/*ticker*/160?

Height: 5'4"

CanadianCutie~ I used to watch MST3K with my dad and brother all the time. I was sad when it went off air. The show lost a little of it's appeal for me when they traded out Joel for Mike, but it was still hilarious. My favorite episode of that was The Incredible Melting Man. When Crow (I think it was Crow) yelled out "Go melt somewhere else you loser!" I almost fell off my seat laughing. It's also the only way to watch the old Godzilla movies without falling asleep. lol
Latchkey Princess is offline   Reply With Quote