General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-25-2010, 04:30 PM   #1  
Joie de Vivre!!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

Default Just a rant, feel free to ignore me

I feel just so awful today. First of all my TOM started this morning, and I'm crampy, and queasy, and all around feeling icky. I had a doctor appointment yesterday to get blood work done to test for hypothyroidism and he also ordered a test for anemia. I can't quit wondering about the results. I've tried to get my mind off it but it just nags at me. He suggested that if it isn't either of those things we might consider trying an antidepressant, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that.

The dr told me I could call today to get my results. I absolutely hate talking on the phone, and get so nervous my mind just blanks. I was forwarded to his voice mail (which makes me more nervous), and left my name and that I was inquiring about my test results. But I forgot to leave my number! How stupid. I thought about calling back, but I REALLY don't want to go through it again. The paperwork I had to fill out for him asked for my number so I decided to assume he can get it easily enough. And if he doesn't call back I'll try again tomorrow.

I'm hungry, but I can't seem to eat cause my stomach feels so touchy. I'm agitated, restless, and tired all at the same time and I'm home all alone.

And anyone who actually made it through all that whining deserves a prize. Unfortunately I don't have one for you.
TheBunneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 182/156/135

Height: 5'2

Aww, sounds like it's just one of those days. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. That's the beauty of "tomorrows", it's always a chance for change.
CarbsAreEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:32 PM   #3  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I got diagnosed with hypothyroidism last November. Well, turned out I actually have been hypothyroid for 9 years but my old doctor used very outdated ranges for thyroid (that's pretty common, sadly) and so he refused to believe I was hypo. He actually refused to test me at all last year, and a different doctor did it and my thyroid was so bad that I even tested as hypo using the old outdated ranges. My new doctor also ran tests for thyroid antibodies and turned out I have Hashimotos, which is an autoimmune disease that attacks the thyroid.

Anyway, this isn't about me, it's about you (sorry) what I was leading up to is that if you do turn out to be hypo I'd be glad to talk to you about it. I see a naturopath and so my treatment isn't the same as many people's are (most docs just prescribe synthroid and call it good). I'd be glad to share info with you if you would like.

I understand your frustration. I hope your day gets better from here!
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:51 PM   #4  
Joie de Vivre!!

Well, after debating a while I decided wondering about whether he could get my number or not was worse than the ordeal of calling back (gah, using the phone shouldn't be an ordeal! I know I'm so silly) and the receptionist was helpful and looked up my record on the computer and said my number was in there. So at least now I can forget about it and just wait for the call. I'm sure the only reason he hasn't gotten back to me yet is because he's busy. (Though I can't help the nagging little thoughts like maybe you didn't pronounce your name well enough and he couldn't understand, maybe you were too quiet and he couldn't hear your name, etc. *sigh* I'm such a nut.)

Thank you EagleRiverDee, if my test comes out positive I would very much like to chat with you about it. Though I'm preparing myself for the possibility that it won't be positive because strangely I'm really hoping it is my issue since it seems the simplest answer, and I don't want to be disappointed if it's negative. I'm very sorry you went through such a situation with your old doctor!

Last edited by TheBunneh; 08-25-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:51 PM   #5  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

I hope things get better for you.
When I'm having very bad days I
always watch my favorite show(s).

It gets my mind off things taking a
shower, listening to music, and having
some orange juice (I use to always
have tea but I abruptly stopped because
of all the sugar in it). We've all had those
days. I get scared a lot because I have
a lot of "low" things because I'm a vegetarian,
and I get scared all the time going to a doctors
because I'm afraid they'll tell me something
else is wrong.

Last edited by Ciao; 08-25-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:47 PM   #6  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

how were the results of your tests?
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:50 AM   #7  
Joie de Vivre!!

My levels turned out normal, so it looks like I need to search elsewhere for the cause of my fatigue. The doctor briefly mentioned antidepressants, but I don't believe that's my problem. I would be willing to try them just to see if it helps but I've heard too much about side effects, and the fact that it alters my brain chemistry makes me a little afraid of permanent issues.

I'm going to take an even more critical view of my diet and add/change more things there for now and see what happens. If I don't feel better after a few months I'll go back to the doctor.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:13 PM   #8  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

maybe it's the quality of your sleep. you might have a breathing problem that's interfering with you getting restful sleep. anxiety?

if it was depression, I think you'd have other indicators (on top of lethargia). could be something missing from your diet. could be just a stretch of days tied into hormone levels and TOM. I experience that.

I took prozac for about a year, a couple of decades ago. I knew I had depression. It made a HUGE difference for me. I suffered a quashed libido as a side effect; that went away after I stopped taking it, and I didn't experience the depression again. I was very anxious to take any kind of medication; afterward I'd wished I'd done it much sooner.

You could also consider tackling the anxiety/depression from changing your activities. Have a schedule of things you need to do, include more social interaction -- even if you're just going out and being around people. Have several on going projects, whether it's house stuff, crafts, a class, whatever. Hope that helps.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #9  
Here to Learn

Bunneh-

If you are willing to share- what were the exact values of your tests? The reason I ask is that many labs and doctors still use an outdated set of standards and turn people away as "normal" that are actually quite well into hypothyroid. The old standard for TSH, for example, was 4.5 as the high limit. However, the new standard is 2.0 for the high limit. So before, anyone that was over 2.0 but under 4.5 (like me, for 9 years) was ignored. Also they should have checked your Free T3, Free T4 and TPO Antibodies. Your TSH can be normal but you can still have secondary hypothyroidism if your T4 to T3 conversion isn't working properly, and TPO antibodies would show if you have Hashimotos which is important because Hashi's will fluctuate your TSH, T3 and T4 and you can be normal one week and then way out of whack the next.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:51 PM   #10  
Joie de Vivre!!

EagleRiverDee - My TSH was 3.470 and the accepted range by my doctor (or the lab, or both) is .450 - 4.500

Things have gotten more interesting since my husband was woken Monday morning by me having a seizure. We went to the ER where several blood tests were run and a CAT scan, for a "new-onset seizure of unknown cause." A few supplements I'd recently bought (Ginseng, Valerian, St. John's Wort) were hypothesized as a possible reason, but my husband can't get past the fact that I only took one dose of each and not together. (And the most recent, Ginseng, was taken almost a full 24 hours before the seizure and nothing else was taken that day.)

So we're planning to make another dr appointment. (And, obviously, I'm not taking the supplements!) My husband is planning to ask about the TSH levels.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:02 AM   #11  
Here to Learn

TheBunneh-

Ah, I get so frustrated by docs that don't have the most current info on acceptable TSH levels. The current high limit for TSH is 2.0. Nine years ago I went to 2.63 and that was when my health began to decline. By last year I was 6.13 and in just horrible shape. Unfortunately, short of finding a new doc you may be stuck waiting for your thyroid to go over the 5.0 mark before your doctor will treat you.

A great book - if I didn't mention this already- is "Overcoming Thyroid Disorders" by Dr. David Brownstein. He explains it very well, in layman's terms. It was the best one I read on the topic. It really helped me to understand the details of what was going on, and also what I should be looking for in a doctor to treat my thyroid.