View Single Post
Old 08-28-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
swtbttrfly23

S/C/G: 306/255/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Protein sources in plant foods?

So I am doing a combo of sorts with calorie counting, low carb/high protein, and whole foods. Basically I'm counting my cals, and I infinitely prefer clean eating, especially unprocessed things, fruits and veggies, etc. I figure that the closest it is to its growing or natural state, the less tampering, the better.
But my body does lose weight better on a higher protein/lower carb diet as well. I previously (more than a year ago) lost about 15lbs relatively easily eating an almost atkins-style induction phase-lots of meat and lots of cheese!So I want to stay with the high-protein foods, but I am trying not to overwhelm my body with all this animal fat stuff this time. Not that I fear fat, but I remember eating gobs of cheese and meat all the time, with little to not veggies and fruits, and that, to me, is NOT healthy at all.
I prefer to get my protein and fats through better sources: clean,lean natural meats (like a chicken breast or steak as opposed to lunchmeat or sausages), plant sources, olive oils, etc. I am starting to really shift back to the low-carb but I'm having a little tough of a time finding plant sources that actually do have protein. I've been sticking to fibrous carbs for the time being, and some fruit because I just love it, but are there any kinds of foods that I'm just missing? I know about nuts, love them, and beans. Are there other foods like this out there that I am forgetting about? I just bought a bag of mushrooms as well, they do have quite a decent amount of protein for a veg.
Any tips are highly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :-)

I believe in you. I believe in your authenticity, your uniqueness, your intensity, your wildness. I love your restlessness and your hunger. You possess the energy that, if unleashed, could transform, inspire and heal the world.

"Life is too short to not eat the foods you like, but long enough to have plenty of chances to eat healthy."
swtbttrfly23 is offline   Reply With Quote