Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 08-26-2010, 11:30 PM   #1  
banned

Default Counting Calories--Hard?

This may sound stupid, but is there an easy way of counting and managing calories? Do I need any equipment (other than measuring cups)? I've never really counted calories before, but my husband and I have come to the conclusion that we need to start. We both have binging tendencies, and I have gained some weight back.
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Have a look at some calorie counting programs or books. If they ask for cups ... you can just use measuring cups. If it seems that they measure ounces ... you can get a kitchen scale.

fitday.com is my method of choice but some folks use an old-fashioned guide book or other internet sites. Let's see what the others say.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:05 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 306/255/160

Height: 5'6"

I just recently started actually using my fitday account, because it also helps me track protein and carbs. But for a while I was using the igoogle calorie app, it's very easy to use but it only tracks calories. I much prefer using the computer to track than writing it all down on paper; seems almost less tedious and once you get some of your own (custom) foods saved it's really simple. Plus, I really suck at math.

As far as actual 'equipment', a good set of cup measurements is good, and I also reccomend tablespoon and teaspoon measurements (for things like oil, salad dressing, etc), and I also use a simple kitchen scale for meats and cheeses. I think the scale tends to be more accurate, but as long as you are staying within portions you'll be good. Good luck darlin, it does get easier the longer you do it!
swtbttrfly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:20 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

I use the measuring cups and spoons, but my digital scale is a godsend for things like meat and bread. The calorie counter in my LoseIt app just says silly things like "one slice" -- what does that mean if slices come in different sizes? What if I just slice it really thick?! Woo hoo! Still only 100 calories!

So I have added in from other sources the values of chicken, pork, beef and salmon per oz, and several different types of bread that I eat per oz. It was really helpful to see what size one "portion" of chicken breast was and now I can estimate easily when I eat out.

On some packages now (especially in Europe) they will give the standardized amount of calories etc for 100g, and then the calories for a typical portion (like two bars in a double pack of granola bars). But not for everything, so for my whole kernel rye bread I have the 100g values entered under "one serving" and if it weighs as only 72g I can put in "3/4" for the serving and it automatically calculates it. I think other online calorie counters like FitDay do that too.

My scale can be switched between ounces and grams, so if you are in the market for one look for that. Mine wasn't expensive, around $20 I think, and you can get cheaper if you shop around. Most also have a "tare" function where you can put an empty container on and set it at "0" then spoon in your flour or whatever.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:56 AM   #5  
banned

Thanks, everyone! I will definitely look into getting a scale and checking out that website. I just didn't know what to expect. I was so bad in math in school. lol.
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Use the technology. I love math and I would never want to add up the data by hand. I have an iTouch, 2 apps, and also at times I input into Fitday. I also use Fitday for daily weight tracking. I will always record what I eat, measure my food, and weigh daily while at home.

You will find the process that works for you.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 215.5/185.5/150

Height: 5'5"

I consider my kitchen scale to be one of the best purchases I've ever made.

I use it as much as possible.
beth4365 is offline   Reply With Quote