Old 08-25-2010, 10:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default That was a bit scary-TMI post

I have talked about bathroom stuff in here before and got great advice on things to try, including going to a doctor. For as long as I can remember, I've had stomach "issues" of not being able to go to the bathroom, pain while going, etc... so, seeing a doctor is on my short list of things to do, esp since yesterday/early this am I had a unusual scare. So, I had my dinner, some chicken stir fry. I go to sleep at a normal hour for me. About 10 or so. I wake up at 2am with some strange stomach cramps. I walk to the bathroom, and all of a sudden I start to break out in a cold sweat, and I feel dizzy. I feel as if I need to go to the bathroom, but nothing happens. I drag myself back to bed and roll around from the cramps. It wasn't unbearable, but was semi uncomfortable. A few minutes pass and I decide to try again, since I feel like I need to use the restroom. I end up having diarrhea pretty badly. ( Sorry, I know TMI ) I still feel a bit dizzy and sweaty. I did drink a big glass of water to try and hydrate myself.

Any ideas on what this could be? I've heard maybe ulcer colitis? Yes, I will be making a doctor appt, I was sopose to have a colonoscopy done in Dec, but time got away from me, and fear. I"m kind of scared that if I get dizzy from one episode of this, how will my body be able to handle hours?

Sorry, just have a lot of stuff running through my mind right now. Anyone ever have these symptoms? I also had the same ones when I would have to take an over the counter laxative. The cold sweat and getting dizzy. I wonder if the doctor has any other ways of prepping for the procedure?

Last edited by Smiling_Sara; 08-25-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/200/145

Height: 5'4"

edited to add more info

My 23 yr daughter has IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) and her symptoms sound like yours. However, it's wise to see a doctor to be checked out and to make sure (IBS is usually the diagnosis after they rule out the other things.) Although my DD gets cramps, dizziness and shakes with IBS diarhera, it could also be food poisoning due to spoiled chicken.

If it is Irritable Bowel Syndrome, it is manageable. my DD finds if she avoids certain hard-to-digest foods (corn, cabbage, brocolli), takes probotics and avoids stress & processed foods (which are full of corn), it is much better. (My DD tells me that people can have different triggers; although both her & my mom can't eat corn or brascia veggies, others find spicy food a trigger...although she doesn't).

I'm having a colonoscopy myself next week (my mom has just finished chemo for colon cancer.) I understand that the prep (drinking clear fluids and laxatives the night before) is harder than the actual procedure. I'd discuss your symptoms with the doctor for the laxative.

Last edited by Purrceyz; 08-26-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Purrceyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:06 AM   #3  
Finally Losing Myself

S/C/G: SW 278/ CW see ticker/ GW 150

Height: 5'5

I agree with Purrceyz it sounds like IBS. Do alittle research and try limiting certain foods and see what happens.

I had a similar issue with too much salad awhile back. I hope you get to feeling better.
Nikki6kidsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:17 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/200/145

Height: 5'4"

My DD wanted to mention that she's also found apple cider vinegar (a tsp at a time) very helpful when she's having a bad bout. (It has pectin in it.)
Purrceyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:24 AM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

The fact that you woke up in the middle of the night with diarrhea means this episode, at least, wasn't likely IBS-related (it's actually considered a "red flag symptom" that something isn't IBS-related). The rest of your symptoms might be, but if you woke up with stomach cramps, it's likely something else going on.

What did you eat before the chicken stirfry? Any continuing stomach symptoms, or were you pretty much fine the rest of the day? Did you have eggs for breakfast
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:29 AM   #6  

Thanks for the replies. I have always had issues with things of this nature. It drives me crazy.

It's funny you mention eggs mandalinn, I did have 2 hard boiled eggs for b-fest. I also had a peach, a big salad for lunch, that had fresh garden tomatoes and pepers in it. For supper the stir fry. I think the chicken was cooked through, cause it was a frozen bag stir fry, that you just heat up, so I'd think the chicken was already cooked, but I guess you never know.

I was fine the whole day, worked out for 90 minutes, got home, cooked dinner, watched some tv, went to sleep, and woke up at 2 with that. I was pretty much fine after the episode too. Just scared cause i hate feeling dizzy like that.

I think the prep itself doesn't scare me half as much as the possibilty of getting dizzy while going through it. How will I be able to handle that....
Old 08-26-2010, 10:52 AM   #7  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I have IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) and I have episodes exactly like you describe. Time of day varies with them sometimes it is in the middle of the night, sometimes it is daytime. They are always preceded by a long spell of constipation. However, just because I have similar attacks does not mean the problem is IBS. You need to go see your doctor.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:53 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 330/325/170

My Uncle has IBS, and that definitely sounds familiar. I'm glad you're making a Doctor's appointment. *HUGS*
StarvingPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:53 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 237/234/150

First, get your booty to a doctor!!!! and keep track of everything that gives you "problems" after eating it, the doctor might be able to see a pattern.

Oh, and second, get your booty to the doctor!! I worked for a GI and the worst part of a colonoscopy per everyone there is the prep....but the drugs they give you during are worth it....
Cassie8236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:54 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 325/125/maintaining

Height: 5'6.5

Instead of going to a general doctor, go to a gastroenterologist. I messed around with a general doc for almost a year with no relief.
KatMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:48 PM   #11  
Restart Date: 10/25/2009

S/C/G: 215/160/115 HW: 235

I get exactly those symptoms but from food allergies. Sorry you are dealing with this.
lovemyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:52 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/130

Were the eggs part of the recall going on?
althepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:59 AM   #13  

I have no idea if the eggs were a part of the recall. This is what the package looks like,

I bought them already hard boiled and packaged. Exp date 9/4/10

Yes, I know I need to get to a gastroenterologist doc, I had a consult with one in Dec, where he suggested the procedure. I put it off and put it off. I know it must be done, but I'm scared about these dizzy spells, if I get dizzy after one episode, how will my body react to an all day thing.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:22 PM   #14  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

hmmmm I've had food poisoning ( a mild case ) and it woke me out of a sound sleep and i spent the evening on the loo (hey poo and loo rhyme!) and it was chicken related!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:12 PM   #15  

Height: 5' 8"

I recently was very ill with symptoms that were very similar from what I think was food poisioning (that is what I get for eating chicken in the parking lot before the Jimmy Buffett concert).
envelope is offline   Reply With Quote