South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-25-2010, 05:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: ticker!

Height: 5'3''

Default atkins adv bars/shakes on SB

so yesterday was a long OR day and I only had time to run out to grab an atkins adv chocolate chip granola bar from my purse. i had bought it and then taken it knowing that it was going to be starving without time to breathe much less eat. i was mainly going off the carb count and the fact that they were on sale when i bought them, but are these allowed on phase 1 of SB?

i searched the forum but couldn't really find an answer. i'd appreciate any advice/info! i can't put links in my messages yet so if you don't mind the extra work of googling the nutrition info and ingredients you can find it right on the atkins site or amazon. thanks
uvachic1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:59 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I don't know if SB allows them on Phase 1 or not....but, I do know, dispite what the label says, they are not allowed on Atkins Induction (Phase 1).
Here is some interesting info regarding Atkins bars: http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19059967.php
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:36 PM   #3  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

nope, sorry. no bread or grain products in P1.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: ticker!

Height: 5'3''

thanks tons for the info! that article was def helpful.
uvachic1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:15 PM   #5  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

uvachic, I have days like that a lot at work. I try to keep RF cheese sticks, veggies with hummus, nut servings or yogurt with me all the time. I've even kept the cheese out of the fridge for long periods when I didn't have a fridge available. It still tasted OK. On this plan you have to plan & prepare ahead of time, because sometimes you just don't have time or access to good food choices any other way.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:12 AM   #6  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

I try to keep nuts or something like that with me in case I can't find a quick salad when I'm stuck somewhere and hungry...I also keep chia seed with me for my drinks..keeps me steady.

looking at the ingredients, ouch...Frankenfood:

Ingredients: Soy Nuggets (Soy Protein Isolate, Oat Flour, Calcium Carbonate), Glycerine, Polydextrose, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Chocolate Chips [Maltitol, Chocolate Liquor (Processed With Alkali), Cocoa Butter, Soy Lecithin, Vanilla Extract], Rolled Oats, Palm Kernel and Palm Oil, Sunflower Oil, Whey Protein Isolate, Cocoa Powder (Processed With Alkali), Soy Nuts, Roasted Almonds, Coconut, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Whole Milk Powder, Cellulose, Soy Lecithin, Salt, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium and Vitamin Mineral Mix (Tricalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Magnesium Oxide, Vitamin A Palmitate, Ascorbic Acid, Sodium Ascorbate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cyanocobalamin, D-l Alpha Tocopherylacetate, Niacinamide, Biotin, D-calcium Pantothenate, Zinc Oxide, Folic Acid, Chromium Chelate, Phytonadione, Sodium Selenite). Allergy Information: Contains Soy, Milk, Tree Nuts, Wheat and Sulphites. This Product is Manufactured In A Facility That Uses Peanuts, Other Nuts and Seeds.

"Food" should have ONE ingredient...the food! Makes me so mad when companies offer "healthy" food that's nothing but a laundry list of chemicals.

Last edited by femmecreole; 08-26-2010 at 05:14 AM.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:52 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

I think it's Kraft that puts out Southbeach protein bars that are Phase II and Phase III. I haven't looked up the ingredients or anything (b/c, as we all know, things aren't always what they seem, LOL).
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:23 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 226/SeeTicker/170

Height: 5'8"

I was just going to recommend the South Beach protein and snack bars. They are, of course, fully appropriate for Phase 2 and Phase 3. However, I think they are still out in Phase 1.

The snack bars (at least the cinnamon flavor) are pretty good...much better than some other bars I've had in the past (like the slim fast bars for example...blech!!!).

I always keep a can of nuts and cheese sticks around if I'm going to be crazy busy like that. (Sometimes veggies with hummus is asking way too much in prep time some mornings!)
museumchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:48 PM   #9  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Just my opinion, but the SB bars are just scary: The malitol alone and the highly processed soy protein crisps, butter and cream (and what the *&^% is "caramel color" made of?) would throw me off:

SOY PROTEIN CRISPS (SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, TAPIOCA STARCH, SALT), MALTITOL SYRUP, FRACTIONATED PALM KERNEL OIL, INULIN (FOR FIBER), SUNFLOWER OIL, GLYCERIN, MALTITOL, OLIGOFRUCTOSE (FOR FIBER), SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, MILK PROTEIN ISOLATE, NONFAT MILK, CINNAMON, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, NONFAT YOGURT POWDER (CULTURED NONFAT MILK), SOY LECITHIN, BUTTER (CREAM, SALT), HEAVY CREAM, SALT, MONOGLYCERIDES, CARRAGEENAN, CARAMEL COLOR, SUCRALOSE. VITAMINS AND MINERALS: BETA CAROTENE, ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C), CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE (IRON), VITAMIN E ACETATE, PHYTONADIONE (VITAMIN K1), THIAMIN MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), NIACINAMIDE, VITAMIN B6, FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN B12, BIOTIN, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE, MAGNESIUM OXIDE, ZINC OXIDE, SODIUM SELENITE, COPPER GLUCONATE,

Last edited by femmecreole; 08-28-2010 at 01:49 PM.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:23 AM   #10  
it's always something

Femmecreole, I have to agree with you. I'll never forget the first time I noticed the ingredient label on a SBD food product, my jaw dropped! I had to take a picture and send to sister Jennifer I'm pretty sure there has been some discussion in the past that even Dr. A was not impressed and suggested them just occasionally. They do seem to go against what the book recommends, which is more of a whole foods approach.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:17 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 221/211/170

Height: 5'5"

I jsut saw this thread and "Frankenfood" is going to be my new favorite buzzword. HA!
Bekidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:46 AM   #12  
honeysox

S/C/G: 216/207/150

Height: 5'4"

Suzanne, love your avatar! Does that mean you go by "Suzanne Suzannadanna"?
honeysox is offline   Reply With Quote