Old 08-24-2010, 11:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Default starting to wobble

I'm worried because I feel like I'm starting to struggle a little bit.

My life is in a real state of upheaval right now. Selling house (I hope), moving to a new town, moving my kids. Also very very burdened with work, and some family problems with my parents adding a layer of stress.

I've been totally thrown off my normally routine because I've been travelling almost incessantly since the beginning of July.

What's more-- my weight loss stalled in the low 190s and I've been bouncing up and down the same three pounds since July.

My crazy hectic schedule has had me missing workouts since my normal habit routine of heading to the gym every evening has been disrupted....

Some how the combo-- missed workouts, lack of focus on weight loss because there is so much going on in my life, and lots of stress, is making me feel, for the first time since I started this project, that I'm not doing as well as I should.

Missed workouts and more days when I'm at the upper end of my 1200 to 1500 calorie range....

I've been finding myself feeling like all of my determination and energy and resolve is just going to slip away. For example tonight, I was set to go to the gym, at my usual time, just like I always do, and then I just felt tired and didn't feel like going.

I KNOW the stress is getting to me, and I really need to figure out how to ride out the next few stressful weeks, and to make sure I establish a good routine.

I don't know if I need advice or just my chickie friends to tell me I can still do this.... I feel like those last 15 lbs will NEVER come off!!!
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:57 PM   #2  

Height: 5'11"

How about aiming for maintenance for a short while, just till this really stressfull time is over? Also, here is the deal with exercise: I know what you mean about feeling too tired, but honestly, most of the time I start to feel invigorated once I get out and get going. So even though I think I'm tired, I start to perk up once I get out there. Then again, sometimes I AM too tired, and what I really need is my jammies and some good junky TV.

Also, I wonder if maybe you could shake things up a little. Instead of going to the gym, maybe a nice long (brisk) evening walk would be a nice change. It would give you a peaceful hour or so where you can just think, listen to the sounds of the neighborhood, and move your body.

You can do this. You have come so far; you are in a lull right now but it isn't a backslide and it won't be unless you allow it. You are in charge. And remember, it's OK to just maintain for a little while.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:35 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 332/270/160

Height: 5"7'

I have no advice since I haven't found that thing to get me through the stress, so I understand where you are coming from. Lot's of (((hugs))) and positive thoughts that the next few weeks pass quickly.
SnowboundChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:36 AM   #4  
Vegging out

S/C/G: 268/ticker/148

Height: 5'6"

First of all, congrats on losing 105 lbs! That is awesome! When I was losing weight before I got pregnant with my second son, I was going through a really stressful time (1 1/2 year old son, full time job, husband working opposite schedule, trying to go back to school, kept getting threatened with losing my job). I was tired sometimes, and generally the workouts did make me feel better, gave me back some energy. Not only that, but I also found that when I did an activity like walking or running, it would help me to think through some of my issues. I didn't always come up with solutions to my problems, but it certainly helped me process some stuff and kept my stress level down. I hope that you can find a solution that works for you, and that things even out for you soon. Best of luck!
dudesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:41 AM   #5  
Finally Losing Myself

S/C/G: SW 278/ CW see ticker/ GW 150

Height: 5'5

First off BIG hugs. The last thing you need to do right now is beat yourself up over thing. I say focus on your nutrition (remember 80% diet 20% exercise ) do the best you can getting in some movement. You can get back to the basics too, things you can do anywhere like jumping jacks, push ups, lunges, squats, crunches. Mainly stay focus on what you eat and do the best you can. This too shall pass.
Nikki6kidsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:55 AM   #6  
Carol

S/C/G: 172/159/140

Geez,, I could have written your post. Probably a lot of us could.
You get worried when life tries you on so many levels at once and you feel like you are loosing your focus on your weight goals. But I have come to believe that this is just another part of the grand plan we all have to go through to eventually get to our goals. Maybe you feel that you are not doing as well as you should, but you are probably doing as well as you COULD. Sometimes we just have to wait for things to calm down so we can regain focus on our weight loss. I feel sure that you will and I feel sure that I will too.

Last edited by Cglasscock1; 08-25-2010 at 12:56 AM.
Cglasscock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:07 AM   #7  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

First, when things are insane, it's really helpful to just focus on basics. What CAN you do that'll make your life easier, not harder? Can you do one big cook a week and stick stuff in the freezer? Can you find healthy AND convenient foods (I have a salad bar nearby, and I ate there nearly every day when I was moving)?

I do know that when things are insane, it helps me to really enforce my exercise. I know that this goes against conventional advice, but I've even done it at the sacrifice of sleep at times. It's nice to have that one constant thing I know I can do, AND it brings down my stress levels, AND it helps me make better choices automatically. I have, on business trips, woken up at insane hours (for me) just to get that exercise in. Even if its not your normal full routine, doing SOMETHING (20 min of intervals? A quick kickboxing video or video game? Even just a few bursts of jumping jacks throughout your day) really makes a big difference. I have done squats while unloading the dishwasher. It helps, even when you feel like you don't want to do it to start.

Then, once things have calmed down a bit, go back to your basics and work on establishing your routine. Meal planning, scheduled workouts, etc. But for now, when things are so crazy, just do what you can.

You can do it! And as for "not doing as well as you should"...well...there is no should! There's just the best you can do.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:36 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

HUGS!!! You ARE going to do this. It is OKAY to hang out at one weight for awhile (even though we don't like it) and it is way, way better than regaining. Time will go by and hopefully things will get better, stress will go down and so will your weight. It WILL happen, believe it
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:41 AM   #9  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

You have done so fantastically well, and I totally understand your frustation and worry and stress.

I like the idea of going for a brisk walk, to keep up some exercise and to get the blood and endorphins surging round. Is your neighbourhood safe to walk in? (Mine isn't, after dark).

You say you're eating up the top end of your calorie budget more times than you'd like. Is it a case of you suddenly discovering you've got there, or do you plan your meals at the beginning of the day and plan for the higher level? I just wondered if perhaps concentrating on the real basic of advance planning and recording would help? I find that if I can get a bit intense in my focus a) it makes time for me in all the Stuff that's going on; b) spending that bit of time re-establishing Control, lifts a whole section of pressure verging on the depression, and stops that frantic 'out of control' feeling.

Good luck! I'm keeping your seat warm in 180s.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:10 AM   #10  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Uber,

First, you can do this! You are a strong determined person and you will work through this stress.

When reading the post, I had the same thought as Windchime that this may be a time where it is best to focus on maintenance. When reading mandalinn's post, I had to think that I am the exact opposite of her when it comes to sleep. When under huge stress, I have a tendency to not be able to sleep. When I am not getting adequate sleep, I want to eat. So I think that you should make a point of getting enough sleep.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:10 AM   #11  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I echo Mandalinn in finding the basics. For me, my basic is spin class three days and lifting three days. Anything else is icing. That's my way of combatting the all-or-nothing mentality. I think that may be what you are fighting right now. You're not all in so you're fighting being all out.

This advice coming from an insane morning person...is it possible to switch your workouts to early morning??
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:35 AM   #12  

Your post is so well thought out, like others I can truly identify and hear your frustration. You have come so far, and even with the stress you are still eating in your range. These are good things. I don't think I can add much to the wisdom already posted, but only echo it.

One comment, even staying at maintenance, getting exercise will help your stress- even though its the hardest to do, sometimes. Hugs your way.
Bunti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:03 PM   #13  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

When I'm stressed out...I clean and de-clutter my house from top to bottom. Hard, fast, furious work. Seems that once my house is de-cluttered, so is my brain. Exercise in any shape or form is the best medicine for stress...that and a bubble bath!

You can get the ball rolling again uber...there is no doubt in my mind. There will always be stressors in life, but you don't always have to be overweight. Skinny people have stress too. Hang in there.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:32 PM   #14  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

I'm with Lori Bell - I love decluttering!

But also, don't beat yourself up - you've already got enough going on in your life. Right now, in my life, I am just taking it one day at a time and some times it feels like I'm lucky to manage that. I've lost all the skin on my fingers just from hanging on to the edge of the cliff - or at least that's how it feels right now.

You've accomplished something amazing and impressive! Rejoice in that and maintain. When life gets a bit settled down you'll be ready to get back in to the fight and take care of those last 15 pounds!
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:40 PM   #15  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
Seems that once my house is de-cluttered, so is my brain.
Please explain this to my husband! I am ridiculous about decluttering. Nothing gives me more pleasure than opening an empty cupboard. Oh, the possibilities! And it just feels free! I like my "stuff" to be able to breathe.

Ok, one thing gives me more pleasure...fitting into new smaller sizes! I'd take a cluttered cupboard in exchange for a smaller pair of jeans any day!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote