Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-23-2010, 10:34 PM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default Did I just gain professional validity!?

Today my boss told me I would be attending a job interview for a project we're trying to get and would introduced as the project manager. When I asked why because I'm not involved with this project whatsoever I was told they thought it would be a good idea to have a female presence on the team! I wasn't sure what to make of this. I don't think it had anything to do with my weight loss because I happen to be the only female in our office besides our secretary, but I couldn't help but wonder if I gained some kind of professional validity with my weight loss. To be fair they've always treated my very professionally and been very happy with my performance, but I still wonder. I can now dress the part and walk the walk, it's just got me thinking about the professional world and appearance.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I know this is besides the point, but it seems kind of unethical to try to get the contract through deception. Either you should truthfully be the project manager or not, but to have you impersonate the project manager in order to get the contract seems fishy. Does this mean you're at least going to be involved in the project on some level, or do they just want it to appear as though they've got "a female presence on the team" without actually having to do it?

To me, it seems rather disrespectful to you - not respectful, to ask you to pretend to be in a position of authority -without actually having to give it to you.

(I'm not trying to be negative, it just seems like this could jeopardize your future opportunities. Isn't word going to get around that you aren't "really" on the team, and couldn't that reflect poorly on your professional integrity. Could this backfire on you in any way).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:17 PM   #3  

Height: 5' 5"

I debate this (internally) all the time. I'm a counsellor so I try to help my clients find happiness, health (in all realms), and balance in their lives. Being overweight I've always wondered if clients' trust/respect for me as a clinican is impacted by social teachings about body shape & size. I saw someone posting on a forum once stating that they would never go to a counsellor who is overweight because that person clearly doesn't have it together themself and thus should not be doling out advice. Of course, I disagree with that viewpoint, but I understand that it exists.

The fact is that the world judges people based on looks, size, bling, whatever. I am happy to hear that you were happy and respected in your workplace no matter what your size. This is as it should be.
M0vingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:24 PM   #4  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Quote:
To me, it seems rather disrespectful to you - not respectful, to ask you to pretend to be in a position of authority -without actually having to give it to you.
I am a project manager on other projects, but not this one, because it's not a project yet since we don't have the job yet. We usually don't assign a project manager at this point. So in theory I could potentially become the PM, but it will depend on work load when it comes time to assign it.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:25 AM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncuneo View Post
I am a project manager on other projects, but not this one, because it's not a project yet since we don't have the job yet. We usually don't assign a project manager at this point. So in theory I could potentially become the PM, but it will depend on work load when it comes time to assign it.
Now that makes a whole lot more sense!

Carry on (LOL).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote