Old 08-23-2010, 09:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Default are you losing weight quicker with HIIT?

For those of you doing Insanity and Turbo Fire, which are described as HIIT type workouts, are you losing weight faster than with long, steady state cardio (like walking, Turbo jam, etc)?

I never really did HIIT workouts, but I remember reading body builders swear by them for burning fat fast while keeping muscle. Just wondering if it really makes a difference.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/171/150

Height: 5'6"

Nope, and I don't burn more calories throughout the day either. But what I like about HIIT is that I can really push my hardest because I know I'll have short recovery period. So I burn more during the workout, but the workout is usually shorter, so it doesn't make a difference calories wise. Maybe it does for the ultra fit person . .. .
festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 306/255/160

Height: 5'6"

I personally love intervals, I just do them on my elliptical and on the treadmill. I push myself really hard for the high intervals, and then the recovery period helps me rest up and prepare for the next bout of intensity. I pretty much only do intervals at the gym and on equipment, though I still do some walking, etc, on my own. The intervals tend to burn more fat because you keep spiking your heartrate and each time you spike it, your body needs to pull an extra amount of fat to get it back up. I have noticed more fat loss this way.
But I think ultimately, just moving at all and working those muscles is great!
swtbttrfly23 is offline   Reply With Quote