Old 08-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 264/264/199

Height: 5'10"

Default In a Rut

Hey all...well, I'm in a rut and am having a hard time crawling out. First, I was away for 10 weeks and gained slightly but managed to lose it all plus 1lb during my first week back. Now, however, I'm back on a carb binge and have been for about 2 weeks now. I repeatedly say, "I'll get back on track tomorrow".

Not to make up excuses, but I am going through a stressful time right now with my 15 year old daughter. She is with me during xmas's and summers. About 4 months ago she began having panic attacks and is having extreme anxiety issues. I am getting her the best help I can get her while she is with me, but I am worried over how much help she'll get when she goes back with her mom. Her mom is very loving and caring, but she lacks a lot of common sense and is very uneducated. I don't think our daughter will get the help she needs when she goes back...anyway, i know...this is probably too much info.

Basically, dealing with my daughter and issues surrounding her circumstances is taking the best out of me...I really don't have a lot left to stay on a restrictive diet. I am lacking the energy to stay on plan...it is so much easier to say, "f#$% it!" and eat crappy choices that are convenient instead of draining what energy I have left to eat healthier.

Any suggestions or experiences you can offer right now would be great...thanks!

Jason
SaskNewfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Just wanted to say hang in there! Sounds like you are doing what you need to help your daughter... you will get your groove back. One day at a time! I hope everything goes well for her when she goes back with mom.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:11 AM   #3  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Fifteen is a tough age, and being the parent of a fifteen-year-old is even tougher. I thought we'd never make it; I have identical twin daughters, and it was SOME DRAMA! I hope you and your daughter's mom can communicate effectively enough to see that your daughter continues to get the help and support she needs. Maybe you can put the supports in place and ask for the mom's help in keeping them in place.

You've been so successful on your weight loss. You can get back on track again. It's so hard, but really carbs have never solved one of my life problems for me. I've tried to make carbs be solutions, but it hasn't worked out. They've just created ANOTHER problem!

One day at a time...
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:19 PM   #4  

I know she'll be ok...if that means jumping on a plane in a month's time and dragging her back here, so be it...lol. As for me, I know I'll be ok too...I just need to get over this temporary hurdle and give my head a good shake...I know once I'm back on plan I'll get my momentum back...thanks for the encouragement!
Old 08-22-2010, 10:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/204/145

Height: 5'7"

Hello! I agree - do what you can to get things set up before she heads back to her mother. Good for you for being a good father and getting her the help she needs!! So - take care of yourself too and get back on plan!
fatBgone07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:08 PM   #6  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default backsliding

Jason: I feel for you. I put my weight back on last year while dealing with the stress of my parents' illnesses. But eventually I couldn't take it.
I was miserable. and fatter than ever. And its true, all the sugary and carby foods didn't help or make me feel better, except maybe a temporary sugar high.
I got hold of myself with my (self) diagnosis of pre-diabetes. I knew Atkins was right for me, but I just couldn't do it. I couldn't go cold turkey off the carbs. And it can't help you if you can't stick with it.
I was successful by backing into Atkins. I reduced carbs slowly, so I didn't have the cravings and the "atkins flu". I am sure if you go down to about 100 or 80 g of carbs/day, and stay there for a bit, you will be able to get down to 50 then finally to induction levels.
Being in good carb control will make it easier to deal with the stress.
I am sure the problem won't magically get better, but I have confidence that you will see through to finding some help and solutions for yourself and your daughter.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:42 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Height: 5'4"

Hey Jason!!! How are you doing??

Fatmad is SO right. In the end, buckling to off plan foods and falling off the wagon during stress eventually only makes things so much worse. It's a temporary drug-type fix but causes tons more stress and damage......and totally not worth it!

Hang in there! I know you can do it! My son is getting married in 2 days in NYC and one of my sisters got admitted to a psychiatric facility earlier this evening. Life is stressful.....you never know what might be coming at you out of left field. I am wishing you luck and more luck that your daughter does well and this is all resolved. There is NOTHING that upsets me more than something going wrong with my sons....them having a problem. I love my sons more than anything! I know how it is. But you can do it.

deena

Last edited by Deena52; 08-27-2010 at 03:44 AM.
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:07 PM   #8  

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I'm still off plan, but will try tomorrow to get back on!
Old 09-03-2010, 09:40 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskNewfie View Post
will try tomorrow to get back on!
Well, so far, so good...3rd day back on plan and lost 4lbs in first 2 days.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 260.2/228/145

Height: 5'4"

Good job!!!! I got off a little yesterday... I dranks a few beers But today I am back on track... We have been mostly on track since May, so feeling pretty good!!! I believe it is a daily battle that I will fight for the rest of my life....
hairchick40v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 205/188/140

Height: 5' 4"

If you are cooking for your daughter, it might also help her to eat healthy. I suffer from anxiety and low/no sugar, no caffeine and good carbs help with the level of anxiety a whole lot more than I would think. This is just a suggestion and not to downplay other causes. Take care!

p.s. not on Atkins, so omit that last carb part.

Last edited by tea2; 09-03-2010 at 02:00 PM.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote