Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:06 PM   #1  
It's about time

S/C/G: 300/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Default America's Next Top Model commercial shows girl with tiniest waist EVER!

Just stumbled upon this clip.

What do you all think about the judges' reactions to this girl and whether or not she seems healthy? I think she looks way too thin, but maybe that's the jealousy speaking. Either way, though, Tyra's reaction to how tiny she is is a little concerning, I think.
ParadiseFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:05 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

OMG... sorry, but I find that totally repulsive! Poor thing! Can you imagine a man being attracted?? Wow. Whether it's natural or anorexia, either way... GROSS.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:27 AM   #3  
It's about time

Yea...judging by that guy's hands around her, her waist is about the size of my calf A little horrifying!
Old 08-12-2010, 02:23 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

The thing that struck me odd was how no one seemed remotely troubled by her look -- really, didn't you think she was quite gruesome/starved (literally) looking? Just blown away.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:43 AM   #5  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Height: 5'7"

I tend to like the ultra skinny look but omg all I kept thinking was that someone needs to give that girl a sandwich lol.

I would be afraid to touch her because she might just snap in half lol
moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:22 AM   #6  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Hm. I think she has ribs missing. Her shape looks very unnatural to me.

The worst response was from Jay Alexander, saying that Miss Jay would eat tictacs and watercress for ever to achieve that shape. If the model-to-be really is that odd shape, I don't mind her giving ANTM a shot; but the inference that hers is a shape to be coveted is disturbing.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:40 AM   #7  

Height: 5'11"

I agree, Rosinante. And I thought there was something strange looking about this girl....not only her unnaturally small waist, but something funny about her shoulders and neck. It really did look like she was either starving or had a very unusual physiology. I wonder how much she weighs?
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #8  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Well, that's a shame. As a former eating disorder sufferer myself, one thing I've liked about this show is that it has always made an effort to be anti-eating disorder. For one thing, it frequently shows the models eating. It's also followed the stories of girls suspected of having eating disorders. Tyra Banks has sat down & talked about the issue with the aspiring models many times. And it's included plus-size contestants, one of whom won a few years ago. (Granted, plus size models seem to be like about a size 10.) Seems to me, for the most part, the show has done what it could to counter or qualify a lot of the implicit messages it sends about beauty & body type. So this is a step backward for it.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 185/177/135

Height: 5'4"

What i find a little interesting/disturbing about Tyra's reaction is how it also seems to contradict her behavior on her talk show. Not that i watch it much, but I've seen a couple episodes when she had had on teenage girls with issues with weight, and she seems to preach being healthy, rather than just thin. Just struck me as a little odd. I don't know, maybe that's just me.
kaygee41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:29 PM   #10  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

What they like on ANTM isn't just "beautiful by common standards", but "possesses something making person look unique". Since I don't know anything about this girl, I'd certainly not insist she had to be disordered to be that way. I do think some people are just naturally built slimly.

I'm a little uncomfortable with the assumptions being made in this thread about her health and what that means for the show. Seems a little bit like assuming all overweight people eat cheetos and sit on their couches all day, which we all know is overgeneralizing.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:49 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

Height: 5'7"

First of all, my disclaimer - I think ANTM has about as much to do with the actual world of modeling as *I* do. There. Whew.

Quote:
The worst response was from Jay Alexander, saying that Miss Jay would eat tictacs and watercress for ever to achieve that shape.
I think that was a joke because Miss Jay has been known to wear corsets, right?

If the girl is naturally that narrow, then I think it's nice that this fake modeling show might embrace her. They have made some very ugly ducklings feel like swans. They have let some "plus size" models compete on an even playing field with the other girls. Didn't they even do a whole season of short girls? They had a girl who was legally blind once, didn't they? A girl who is thin due to her actual physical structure? Why not.

However, if she's a habitual corset wearer who has ALTERED herself to be that small, then they might as well take out air time endorsing eating disorders because it's about the same thing. Just as disordered eating to stay super super thin is not good for you, wearing a corset so much that you displace your organs and change your bone structure isn't exactly healthy. However, we have no way of knowing if she's just built like that and if she is, why not give her a shot? Tyra picks some weird looking girls, anyway.

Last edited by NiteNicole; 08-12-2010 at 02:51 PM.
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:50 PM   #12  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Well, like I said, I think people of all shapes and sizes should be encouraged to have a go at anything they want to: but the panel response - that that degree of thinness is the pinnacle of what should be aimed for - was not helpful to her or to anyone else.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:46 PM   #13  
It's about time

I agree that it's not right to automatically assume that this girl has an eating disorder, but I would be very surprised if she is that tiny while eating healthily. Her torso is practically two-dimensional. To a point, yes, it's stupid to say any thin person must be anorexic just like saying any fat person must be lazy, but to a certain extent...I don't believe she eats normally any more than I would expect someone to believe that I do.

And the judges are looking at her like she's a magical unicorn or something, which is the part I have a problem with because it's positive reinforcement for anyone who is trying to look like her.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:48 AM   #14  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

Honestly, I have never seen anyone that tiny
unless it's in Holocaust documents.

Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:53 AM   #15  
HelenMay

S/C/G: 159/145/130

Height: 5'1"

Forget the girls waist....did you see her face? She looks haggard for such a young lady and her color was gray.
HelenMay is offline   Reply With Quote