Old 08-17-2010, 02:41 PM   #1  

Default New here, could use advice

I'm Misty. I'm 23.

I've tried dieting so many times I can't even keep track.

I tried weight watchers, counting calories, giving up carbs.

End of Jan I gave up my 2 favorite foods for 6 months in order to lose weight for a wedding and it didn't work.

I have a very limited diet (I'd say about 65% due to stubbornness and 35% due to the fact I have IBS and some foods I cannot digest).

I used to just not eat except for maybe once a day and even then it would only be a bite or two of food.

I need help. I can't keep living this way and I'm just so tired of being the girl on the sidelines, the one that makes every laugh and feel better when they're sad, the one who wants to go out on the weekends with friends but has none, the girl who's never been kissed. I read about the 3FC on aol one day and said to myself I wish it could be me to lose weight and inspire others. If anyone as any advice at all I'll take it, whatever I can get. Any ideas on a weight loss plan or exercise routine, I would love.

Thanks to anyone who takes time out of their day to read this or respond to it.
Misty23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:48 PM   #2  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

Misty, welcome aboard and HUGE hugs to you first off.

The only advice I can really give is to look around, ask questions and find something that's going to work for you. There are so many different routes people take here, so many people to ask questions and get great advice from.

You're going to have to commit, and realize it's not something you can do by just 'giving up' your favourite foods for 6 months.
You have to change your life. Change your eating habits. Change how you move, how much you move.

Start small so you don't overwhelm yourself.

Good luck to you, I know you can do it!!
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:57 PM   #3  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

Welcome to 3FC. I’m glad you decided to join.

You CAN be the one to lose weight and inspire others and it’s very important that you remember that. Also, don’t wait to lose weight to start living your life to the fullest. You don’t belong on the sidelines at any weight!

This site is a wonderful source of inspiration, encouragement and information and I encourage you to check in with us and jump into the discussions. Also, make sure to check out the 20-something’s board.

Good luck.
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:58 PM   #4  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Hi Misty!

Welcome! This is a great community, with tons of support.

I second one thing the previous poster said- the key is going to be modifying your lifestyle to include a clean diet and regular exercise.

Before I truly committed to weight loss, I exercised 5 days a week but ate what I wanted. I was never a soda pop/junk food type and figured my diet was good. My doctor told me, "Weight loss comes from diet, muscles come from exercise." It's an oversimplification...but he was mostly right. Once I modified my diet, the weight started to come off (slowly).

Glad you're here- and good luck!
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:02 PM   #5  
Cat Cuddler

S/C/G: 287/266/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi Misty! Welcome to 3FCs!

I am hoping that you can find some fun in this process. Try to find a plan that not only works for you but allows you to have some food that you really enjoy.
That is where I failed before - I treated it as a burden of deprivation, and something temporary instead of trying to incorporate it into my life with treats that I really love.

I have a daily journal where I write my successes and my weaknesses. I even put silly stickers in it to make it colorful.

Take baby steps and make small goals for yourself. Give yourself non-food rewards for even the tiniest good thing you have done.

And keep posting and reading on 3FCs. You will learn a lot here and get a lot of inspiration! Best wishes!!!!
doingmybest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:26 PM   #6  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Welcome to 3FC, Misty! You've tried some wonderful plans. Maybe one of them is worth a second chance. One thing to keep in mind...any plan you choose will require commitment. Once the initial excitement is gone, you have to fall back on your commitment and your faith that this will work for you as it has for so many others here at 3FC.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:35 PM   #7  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Welcome Misty!! You have stumbled upon one of the most informative and supportive places on the net. The more you post and read, the more you can take away from this site. You have been given some pretty good advice so far. I want to agree with Thick that no matter what your current weight, you don't belong on the sidelines!! Get out there and live!! Make the most of your youth!!!

As far as choosing a plan, that one is up to you. Try and pick one that you feel like you could stick with...forever. One of the things that we have learned is that our journey doesn't end when the weight is gone. We must continue to do what we did to get the weight off so we can keep it off!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:01 PM   #8  
Finally Losing Myself

S/C/G: SW 278/ CW see ticker/ GW 150

Height: 5'5

Misty,
You can get where you want out of pure desire to change. When I first started I said to myself , I am going to give this an real honest go for 1 month and see if I can do it and if I feel any better at the end of one month.

For that very first month I focused on drinking water everyday, before that i would go all day without one single bit of water. I gave up excessive bread like rolls or biscuits but still had wheat sandwich breads occasionally. I stayed away from sugar items (cookies,cakes,pies,candy,little debbies) and had fresh fruit instead. I replaced chips with either pretzels or raw veggies and light ranch for snacks. And no fried food (onion rings,fries,chicken). I did all this on my own no other plan or money paid out to any gym or weight loss group.

And for that month I starting walking 3 times a week one mile in my neighborhood by myself because I didn't even want to tell my friends and family I was attempting this in case I failed yet again.

Those changes started my journey. By the end of the first month I had lost 15 pounds and felt like I had more energy. I wasn't craving sugar like I used to and the walking seemed to help me clear my head and relieve some stress. The success in that month helped me focus even more on how I could find ways to improve my diet and up my exercise.

You are starting with the right mindset. Set some mini goals and take it one day at a time. Keep focused and you will succeed!
Nikki6kidsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:34 PM   #9  

Thank you all for taking time out of your day to read what I wrote and give me advice.

I should stop sitting on the sidelines......my sister in law's friend is just as big as I am and she doesn't let it stop her from going out having a good time and getting a boyfriend so I shouldn't let it stop me either.

Nikki I really like your approach to it. I don't eat a lot of sugar myself (I rarely ever crave chocolate or cookies) so I think giving that up might be pretty easy for me (and since I tend to eat pasta I think I can make the switch to wheat instead since they say it fills you up faster with less consumed).

I will go look on the forums and read everyones approach and see what I like about it and see if I can make a plan from there.

I think my goal for the first month is going to be just to get out and walk 3-4 times a week, give up sugar and soda. If I lose weight then that would be great also hehe.

Thank you all! <3
Misty23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:44 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 220/211/150

Height: 5'3"

yeah I gave up sugar-drinks and a lot of sugar and controled my carb intake while pregnant because I got gestational diabetes.

Afterwards I've noticed with my adult life, I've "maintained" through the 160s-170s whereas before that pregnancy I'd done nothing but increase my weight since undergrad. So like my first four-five years of my adulthood I did nothing but gain weight, and REALLY just controlling sugar and carbs STOPPED the weight gain. (I started undergrad at 120 and ended undergrad at 165!!!). Now I'd like to get back to the middle of the healthy BMI (middle seems like the safest weight to be! instead of hanging around in the overweight section of BMI! But I wouldn't have made that healthy lifestyle change except they told me I could...ya know...kill my baby because I was diabetic. (Its so much easier to control your diet when someone else's life depends on it! Literally....but shouldn't YOUR life be important too!)

So yeah, just a few simple changes at a time that you turn into healthy habits is the way to go!
boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:05 PM   #11  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Misty, just an IBS thought - I haven't eaten wheat since May 24th this year - and the brass band in my insides has been Totally Silent!
I'm not saying it's the same for everybody but might be worth a thought. I can eat absolutely anything else, albeit in calorie counted, so sometimes small, quantities.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:30 PM   #12  

Height: 5' 8" on a good day

Misty -
Nice to meet you!
susiemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:54 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcome and good luck ! Eat less and move more ! Find the diet plan that you WILL follow and do it. Experiment untio you find what works for you. I've tried 'em all and found calorie counting works best for me.

Last edited by bargoo; 08-17-2010 at 07:56 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:33 PM   #14  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

Hi Misty!!! I'm rooting for you!!!

What would you think about posting exactly what you ate yesterday and the foods that you have found you need to avoid, so that everyone can brainstorm and come up with a plan that might work for you? There are so many ideas on the subject, and maybe you could get some ideas/suggestions.

I am a calorie counter, but within my calories, I have found there are certain things I really need to avoid unless I want to STARVE the rest of the day. For example, if I eat a big carb meal without a substantial protein to balance it out, I'm hungry an hour later, even if I eat a huge serving. Now that I have figured out what kinds of stuff make me insane, I have been VERY satisfied with my meals and don't even feel remotely deprived after mealtime. It will take awhile for you to really do the work to figure it out for yourself, but if you do, weight loss isn't nearly as painful. In fact, I am having a BLAST figuring out ways to make delicious, healthy things to eat and watching my body shrink before my eyes!

Good luck to you, hun, and keep reading and posting. This site is amazingly inspiring, and you and I are just as worthy and capable of BIG SUCCESS as anyone here!
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:24 PM   #15  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coondocks View Post
Misty, welcome aboard and HUGE hugs to you first off.

The only advice I can really give is to look around, ask questions and find something that's going to work for you. There are so many different routes people take here, so many people to ask questions and get great advice from.

You're going to have to commit, and realize it's not something you can do by just 'giving up' your favourite foods for 6 months.
You have to change your life. Change your eating habits. Change how you move, how much you move.

Start small so you don't overwhelm yourself.

Good luck to you, I know you can do it!!
This.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote