South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-12-2010, 12:59 PM   #1  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

Default Smoothie Girls

I noticed a few of you were using green powders and additional supplements to your smoothies... I am looking into it and was wondering what kind you use... I currently just throw in some kale or spinach, maybe zucchini... pretty much whatever I have in the house at the time. I have added the rice protien and am getting used to it... however I am not sure if I will continue to buy and use it... I haven't really noticed a big difference in anything since starting it...

Also, the protein mixes that you use- are they sweetened at all? Mine isn't but has vanilla... just vanilla and rice protein. Its the first time I have used a protein powder so it may be great compared to some idk...lol

In short...
1) what green powders are you using?
2) what additional supplements do you add?
3) is the protein you use sweetened in any way?

OH, and I have found if I make one with banana cocoa and a bit of agave, maybe its just me becuse I haven't had a shake in forever but seems to make a nice chocolatey shake!
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:11 PM   #2  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I use Vibrant Health's Green Vibrance powder. of all of them that i have tried and looked into, this brand had the highest amount of "green food" per ounce. It has something like 3.5 oz per serving. It also tastes pretty decent. I've found some that have kind of a bitter flavor. It is kind of expensive - about $1/serving, but I figure it is more at the juice bar

I use just regular whey. I know it wouldn't work for you since you are vegan, but there are plenty of vegan, unsweetened protein powders. I used to use a vanilla, but i didn't like the combination of flavors. I just use plain and then change the flavors with different fruits and vegetables.

Here is what I always add to my smoothies: protein powder (at least one scoop), greens powder, ginger (for cleansing), parsley (for heartburn prevention and cleansing), greens of some sort (usually kale or spinach), berries, half a banana, almond milk (plain)

I don't add any additional supplements to my smoothies - I just take them in pill form in the morning.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:18 PM   #3  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

I have a green protien drink that I started a year before I started SBD. It REALLY works for me, so it continues to be my every day breakfast. It's a combination of 2 products, "Supreme Meal", by Peaceful Planet and "Green Vibrance" by Vibrant Health(the same as Zeff uses)Green Vibrance. Taken along with my vitamins, it carries me through to lunch, and that's without a snack break. BTW-the Supreme Meal is vegan Supreme Meal. I stay away from soy proteins since it's every day for me and I try not to load up on the soy.

I have been known to add fruit, but for me it's strictly nutritional and I'd rather save my fruit for another time. My nutritionist didn't think I needed a multi vitamin with this combo so I add calcium, wild salmon oil and Co-Enzyme Q 10 as supplements.

Zeff-I'm buying my 60 day GV for $49 on the net.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:16 PM   #4  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Lexx - that is a great price. I've been buying a 30-day supply for around $30. I'll have to look around.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:02 PM   #5  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I use either plain hemp powder & fruit or sf (stevia sweetened) choc rice or whey when I'm rushing. So far I just add raw veggies & fruit, chia seeds and a shot of acai mangosteen supplement (juice, 2 T). I'm thinking about using my own veggie powders in the winter. I already make some for vegetable broth so maybe I'll experiment with powdered bland greens and zucchini. I really like starting the day this way and find I stay full until lunchtime.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:53 AM   #6  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

I use Amazing Grass green powder (along with spinach, kale or chard), Nativas Hemp powder and Nativas Maca (to balanace hormones) and some frozen dark fruit and 1/2 a frozen banana. I add dates for a sweetener. (I've been reading some not so nice stuff about agave, so not using it much unless I'm out of dates)

Supplements are MSM, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, zinc and magnesium.
Lex, I've been thinking about adding the Co Q10..do you find it helps?

My husband also drinks a big shot of essiac tea in the morning. We were laughing about the supplement bottles the other day saying our counter was starting to look like "old people's counter" with all the bottles. I told him I might go get a couple of those "weekly pill" containers and he just rolled his eyes and said "then it's REALLY going to look like old people's counter!!" Better than prescriptions though! neither of us takes prescriptions for anything, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Last edited by femmecreole; 08-13-2010 at 04:58 AM.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:23 AM   #7  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

Thanks, ladies! I suppose for now I will just stick with my multi and adding some greens to my smoothie- My vitamins actually have lots of greens in them too... I take Alive! whole food energizer with multivitamin... I can tell when I don't take them, I don't have near the energy... DH swears they make him tired. I think he's nuts. haha
Old 08-13-2010, 09:37 AM   #8  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

CAt I have a weekly pill container! Guess I'm old
I use Isopure zero carb vanilla and low carb dutch
chocolate Its not sweet perse but that's fine by me

Supplements remember Ive had WLS
I take
1 multi
2 fish oil
glucosamine and condroiton with D
additional 2000 mg d
600 Mg calcium
Alpha lipoic acid with biotin and chromax (helps my Hypoglycemia)
Acetyl L carnitine
Magnesium

Later on I take Iron (it doesn't absorb when taken with calcium

then I try to remember a calcium in the evening
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:04 PM   #9  
-

KO...
don't laugh, I ordered two this morning...
but it's kinda cool. My counter was looking kind of medicinal!!!
Old 08-13-2010, 07:53 PM   #10  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

cat- that doesn't look medicinal much at all!
Old 08-14-2010, 02:08 AM   #11  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

That's adorable actually I might have to get oen
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:56 PM   #12  
-

KO, I ordered it from Amazon. I told my husband and he got a kick out of it.
One for you, one for me, one for you, one for me...