Old 08-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #1  
Vegging out

S/C/G: 268/ticker/148

Height: 5'6"

Default Morbidly Obese

As of this morning's weigh in, I have lost 15 lbs in the past month. I decided to check my BMI on a BMI calculator, and it said that I am "morbidly obese". I had never thought of myself as morbidly obese before, which is not a nice thought, and this followed a day of horrible eating (which hasn't quite stopped yet!). I always knew I was obese, but the morbid part came as a shock, and it's just really disheartening today. I'm pretty close to the edge or morbidly obese, on the verge of being just obese, which I guess is a good thing. I don't know, maybe because of my mindset today I am just not in a place for news like this. Sorry for the downer of a post, but I needed to get this off of my chest so I don't throw myself a pity party for the rest of the day. Thanks for letting me vent. Now time to get moving/hydrating/on with my life.
dudesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:58 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Eh- screw the scale- it says I'm morbidly obese also but I don't feel that way- specially when all my lab results come out great. I even had a glucose test done and I'm not pre-diabetic- so BOOO YOU BMI SCALE!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 205/188/140

Height: 5' 4"

I will move from obese to overweight in two more pounds. 177-175. 175 is 30 pounds overweight, according to the chart for my height. 31 pounds overweight is obese. That seems a bit insane to me too, but I'm still using it as a roughish guideline.

Last edited by tea2; 08-11-2010 at 06:11 PM.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:33 PM   #4  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

I was kinda shocked to discover I was morbidly obese (and had been for at least a decade....) - I sure didn't feel morbid or *that* obese either. Now I'm severely obese and only a few pounds away from just being plain old obese.

It's all just fat as far as I'm concerned and I'm working on it the best I can!
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

There's a difference between socially and medically morbidly obese. Socially, "morbidly obese" is someone who can't walk anymore and has to use a scooter; medically, "morbidly obese" means you are at a weight that will almost certainly cause a person to develop serious, debilitating health problems if left untreated.

Your BMI is medical information, and you should take it seriously--but you already are, if you are here. It says nothing about your appearance, your worth as a person, etc.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:19 PM   #6  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

"Since Body Fat Percentage calculations use total body weight and not estimates of lean muscle mass and fat, BMI can not determine between the overweight and the more muscular. Use our Body Fat Calculator and Waist to Hip Ratio Calculator in combination with our BMI Calculator for a more accurate view of your body fat."

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmi-cl...nformation.php

http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/bmi.htm

you might be interested to look at this.

Last edited by dragonwoman64; 08-11-2010 at 07:20 PM.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:38 PM   #7  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Try to keep it in perspective.

It's no different than your age, height, gender... all this stuff is part of your medical profile. While you want to pay attention and manage your health needs so you are improving and getting healthier... neither do you want to get all crazy bingey over it.

We all start somewhere and knowing that... we all move forward.

GL!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:25 PM   #8  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I had just stepped into morbid obesity when I started this journey, and was thrilled to step right back out of it. I know there's the whole muscle throws off BMI calculations bit, but when I was morbidly obese...I was truly morbidly obese. And I needed that wake up call.

I don't ever want to go back there.

This is a time in your life than you can leave, and it won't take long either. I think getting out of morbid obesity would be a terrific mini goal.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:35 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 300/293/150

Height: 5.5

i just did the BMI calculator. I was suprised that it said I should be at 115 to 120 lbs at my height age, and body frame. I have always been heavier than I look. Before I had kids I was 160 and looked like a twig at 5 ft 5. Most people guess I am around 230 and I am 300 now. Where am I putting the weight?!
Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:03 AM   #10  
bex

S/C/G: 260.5/207/150

I was morbidly obese when I started according to my BMI. I was so so gutted and never really thought of myself that way. It got me down for a while and then I realised that I am doing something about it and it will quickly go down!
Funny how excited I was when I was just obese lol.

You will get there hun. Dont let it get you down. x
bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:48 AM   #11  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crush View Post
i just did the BMI calculator. I was suprised that it said I should be at 115 to 120 lbs at my height age, and body frame. I have always been heavier than I look. Before I had kids I was 160 and looked like a twig at 5 ft 5. Most people guess I am around 230 and I am 300 now. Where am I putting the weight?!
Really? That seems awfully darn low at 5'5". I wouldn't put much stock in that.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:13 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 224/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmead View Post
There's a difference between socially and medically morbidly obese. Socially, "morbidly obese" is someone who can't walk anymore and has to use a scooter; medically, "morbidly obese" means you are at a weight that will almost certainly cause a person to develop serious, debilitating health problems if left untreated.

Your BMI is medical information, and you should take it seriously--but you already are, if you are here. It says nothing about your appearance, your worth as a person, etc.
I think this is an excellent post, and I totally agree.

Handling your BMI and the associated labels as pieces of medical information is absolutely the way to go. Popular culture has distorted medical terms such that the lay person's meaning of a word is totally different to its medical meaning. I've been medically obese before, but I never felt like I looked like society's idea of an obese person, which is unsurprising, because those two meanings don't map on to each other at all. Similarly, when I think of "morbidly obese", I imagine someone unable to get out of bed, breathing through a ventilator, covered in bed sores, and that's entirely because of the way society inaccurately characterises these terms. I think everyone here can appreciate that the BMI calculators call you "obese" or "morbidly obese" a much lighter weights than you picture someone with those labels being.

As Shmead says, of course, you should take your medical statistics seriously, but I personally feel there's relatively little to be gained from tying them up with your sense of who you are, and your self-esteem.
tinycities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:17 AM   #13  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

"Morbidly obese" is a terrible term, isn't it? When my doctor first told me that I was morbidly obese it was the first time I had heard of it. At that time, he described it as 100 pounds overweight. I was so upset.

It is very hard to hear that term used to describe you. At least now you will have something to celebrate when you lose that awful word!!

Last edited by time2lose; 08-12-2010 at 08:17 AM.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:50 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 225/163/145

Kudos to you for the glucose test I have yet to do that, I am too afraid of what the result will be considering I had gestational diabetes with my 2nd child, one of these days I will go lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
Eh- screw the scale- it says I'm morbidly obese also but I don't feel that way- specially when all my lab results come out great. I even had a glucose test done and I'm not pre-diabetic- so BOOO YOU BMI SCALE!
ghlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:17 AM   #15  

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2lose View Post
"Morbidly obese" is a terrible term, isn't it? When my doctor first told me that I was morbidly obese it was the first time I had heard of it. At that time, he described it as 100 pounds overweight. I was so upset.

It is very hard to hear that term used to describe you. At least now you will have something to celebrate when you lose that awful word!!
I agree with time2lose...I know I'm looking forward to celebrating when I lose that awful word! and now I'm on my way to the gym to continue working to get rid of it! I know you can do it too!
MyChoice2bfit is offline   Reply With Quote