General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Question anyone ever try frozen diet meals as a diet??

I'm all about convenience foods since I work 12 hour days and I'm exausted when I'm off work and I don't care for cooking anyway so I've been thinking about trying frozen diet meals as a diet, has anyone ever tried that with success? I mean 3 x's a day that is.. kinda like a generic jenny craig or something, lol...if so can you share your experiance? I know frozen foods have more sodium etc but I'm not sensitive to that and I know some brands are lower than others and even use whole grains etc now. I would just like to get your thoughts on if you think it would work as a diet plan. I really need something that teaches me portion control without me measuring or weighing and I think meals like smart ones, leans cuisines, etc would be a perfect option..
spryng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/195/148

Height: 5'5

i have frozen meals and i eat healthy choice and lean cuisines and their pretty good for a quick meal so when i have no food at home i turn to them for something quick..for me frozen meals work as a good diet plan cause their so convenient!
cheerios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:08 PM   #3  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Well the plus would be that you know exactly how many calories you are getting. The negatives is that they just aren't healthy and they lack many nutrients. Perhaps you could give it some additional healthiness by adding some fresh vegetables, like a salad, to it? I tried this method but it didn't work for me because processed foods make my body gain weight. Instead, I now will roast a chicken and make a big pot of rice/amaranth/quinoa on Sundays and I use that as the basis for my breakfasts and lunches. I take the time to cook a healthy dinner from scratch. But if you aren't sensitive to all the additives then this plan may work for you.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 153/135/120

Height: 5'2"

I use them pretty often in a rush or when the dinner I have made for my family is a no no for me. They work well, my only problem is that there are only a few that I like so I could never just live on them. There are also some Healthy Choice canned soups that are good. I'll have a lo cal turkey sandwich and light salad with it and get pretty full. Good Luck
applelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

If you can, still count the calories to make sure you getting enough. Since frozen meals are about 200-300, 3x a day would only be 900-1000calories. Since there isn't much vegetables in them maybe you can add in some frozen vegetables (the steamfresh ones are very easy, just throw the whole bag in the microwave) and some pieces of fresh fruit. I think even with Jenny Craig you have to add in your own fresh fruit and veggies.

Last edited by ringmaster; 08-05-2010 at 06:45 PM.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:47 PM   #6  

thank you all for your input! yes the adding of a salad or frozen veggies etc would probably work really well too and yes keeping track of calories will be much easier this way and I will be careful not to go below 1000 cals for sure...thanks everyone! I'm super excited now, going shopping saturday
Old 08-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #7  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 239.5/232.5/140

Height: 5'4"

Hi, I have just started the same plan. It is sort of a like a DYI Jenny or Nutisystem. I am doing a frozen meal (lean cuisine, healthy choice, et.) for lunch and dinner and also adding veg to each meal. I am having snacks like almonds, string cheese, fruit cups (pinapple in juice, etc.) or fresh fruit. For breakfast I am either doing a healthy cereal or egg on whole wheat flatbread. It just seem so much easier to keep up with cals. I am only worried about the sodium, but I think it is manageable.
lmickley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #8  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

I used frozen meals for dinner for a while and they worked pretty well. I like Kashi brand the best. My major complaint is that they are expensive. And all that plastic packaging seems wasteful.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:21 PM   #9  

Well today is day two of my fake jenny, lol.. and it's going great! I'm using fresh fruit for snacks and yesterday I was a little hungry but today it's much easier, I can't wait to see if this plan works! If anyone else is doing this and would like a buddy please pm me! I would love some support to give and get
Old 08-09-2010, 10:06 PM   #10  
The spangled kind

S/C/G: 225/135/135

Height: 5'4"

I lost all of my weight doing basically what you're talking about. I usually ate Fiber One cereal for breakfast, and then for lunch and supper I had a Lean Cuisine or maybe a can of beans of some variety. (La Preferida fat-free refried beans are pretty darn good, btw, and about 300 calories per can. There's also a canned red beans and rice that I like a lot, but I can't remember the brand.) The sodium is sky high in these processed foods, but my blood pressure and serum sodium levels were always great while I was losing, so I didn't worry about it. I'm fairly certain that I wouldn't have done as well w/out Lean Cuisines. The convenience, easy calorie-counting and built-in portion control made things pretty easy -- as easy as a diet can be, anyway. It was particularly helpful in keeping me on track at work. I'd bring in a bunch of LCs and stock up the office freezer every week or two. Having food already there at the office kept me away from the fast food joints, which was a habit I desperately needed to break. I'm slowly learning to cook, and I eat Lean Cuisines much less frequently now that I'm maintaining, but I always have a few in freezer for the times that I don't want to think about what I'm going to eat.
Cotinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #11  

yeah I'm really loving it so far, I'm already down 1.2 lbs and the diet couldn't be easier and I love all the food I picked.. don't know why I didn't think of this before, lol..
Old 12-29-2010, 06:24 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 180.2/ticker/130

Height: 5'5

Resurrecting this thread because basically is what I'm doing. Hate measuring. Plus there is a lot of verity out there, and on sale. Thinking about getting some lunchables to add to the frozen dinners. Thought it was a good idea to add a salad or extra low cal veggies.

Now with the new year coming a lot of stores will be putting there stuff on sale.

Soup and yogurt would also be good to go along with this. 1 can of the cheap chicken noodle has 150 calories per can. add a few crackers for a 200 calorie mini meal. My start calories is 1500 and will a just if need to.

not worried about salt, as I am in great health other then the added weight.

just got done reading the twinkie diet on another thread

he did this this year, so yea I'm not really concerned about the crap in food.
will post the thread for that when i get 25 posts in.

Like the reference fake jenny program, Yep basically the same but with out the high dollar and yukky meals I know I wont eat lol

Now to plan my shopping trip and get the stuff I need. Until then counting calories and using whats on hand
surfnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:28 PM   #13  
Beautiful Underneath

S/C/G: 220/211.8/110

Height: 5'4''

I'm currently on Phase 1 again of the South Beach Diet. I love it! However, I have wondered about an all frozen diet, if there is one... in particular, Lean Cuisine. I love the variety they offer and haven't come across something they make that I don't enjoy. I love this brand because it is balanced, fills me up and a lot don't have preservatives in them.
Bellissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:17 PM   #14  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfnmom View Post
he did this this year, so yea I'm not really concerned about the crap in food.
will post the thread for that when i get 25 posts in.
This comment surprised me. I sometimes eat junk and I know it's a bad bad bad idea. Of course, I do it anyway. You aren't concerned about putting junk into your body?

Last edited by LandonsBaby; 01-01-2011 at 03:19 PM.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #15  
Ninja loss

Height: 5'3 (161cms)

i might have to try this. i'm forever trying to guess calories, haing it there on the packet would be awesome.
Catcuffling is offline   Reply With Quote