Old 08-10-2010, 04:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/295/160

Height: 5'8

Lightbulb Am I the only one?

I was having a convo with someone, and I brought up a little "cover up" trick I have and I thought I must be the ONLY one who did it... turns out, I'm not alone! And she suggested I start up a thread about all the things we might think only WE do to cover up things relating to our obesity and/or things we think might only happen to us....

Soooo

Am I the only one...

-who coughs when they run out of breath going up one flight of stairs so nobody knows they're ACTUALLY gasping for air?
-used to ALWAYS tie a jacket around her waist, because it was inevitable her shirt would ride up?
-pretends they were running to class(or whatever destination) because they are sweating so much?
-who's cheap jeans only last about 3-4 months and then explode in the thigh area.
-who doesn't understand why the numbers on women's sizes correspond to absolutely nothing (okay, that was out of context with the original intent of this thread, but it was on my mind... seriously, they mean NOTHING!!)
-who tucks fat rolls down into their jeans and up into their bra band?
-who waits for other people to order first so that I can order slightly less than them to feel less fat?

I have a ton more, but I'd like to hear what YOU GUYS have
TheActress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:21 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

You're not alone! Some look familiar, some I wish I'd tought of! Am I the only one

- who never finishes her plate when eating out with friends 'I'm full', yeah right, I'm never full!
- who has a snack right before going to family parties
- who always has to work at times everybody plans to go swimming
- who wears really high heels, so she can't join the dancing
Quillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:34 AM   #3  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

The only one I've got is the exploding cheap jeans, that made me laugh!

Am I the only one who refuses to admit to my mother that I am losing weight because if I do, she'll take such a keen interest that it'll feel like she's smothering me like she has done for 55 years and like she's trying to take away even the tiniest thing I could call my own? Issues, moi? Just about to get in the car and drive over, moi?

Last edited by Rosinante; 08-10-2010 at 04:35 AM. Reason: typo
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:26 AM   #4  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Oh, I can add to this one!

Am I the only one...
* who wore black pants and black shell with patterned jacket to try to look "thinner"
* ate in the car so no one would know - Like I could hide it
* walked to meetings early so that I could catch my breath before anyone else got there
* lied about my weight on my driver's license
* laughed and smiled on the outside while cringing and crying on the inside
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:30 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 242.6/236/140

Height: 5'7"

"who doesn't understand why the numbers on women's sizes correspond to absolutely nothing (okay, that was out of context with the original intent of this thread, but it was on my mind... seriously, they mean NOTHING!!)"

Haha! I knew I wasn't crazy! I've never been able to figure out how it works and now my favorite store (Maurices) has a weird new "plus" sizing system and now I understand even less (if that's possible). :P

And time2lose I can say you're not the only one to all of those.

Here's a couple:
-who wears baggy sweatshirts/hoodies in the middle of summer trying to hide certain areas?
-who always seems to conveniently have homework/work/other obligations when people want to go out in public?

Last edited by criseyde; 08-10-2010 at 08:32 AM.
criseyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:43 AM   #6  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Oh, so many!

Am I the only one who...
  • Used to feel like if I didn't eat a meal at home then I didn't eat so after eating at a restaurant I'd come home and eat again?
  • used to pace at the top of the stairs before entering an office area or whatever I was headed to at the top because I was so out of breath?
  • used a beachtowel at the gym shower?
  • made excuses so as not to have to go to a friend's pool party?
  • got gingerly into a car so as not to flip it? Ok, so as not to rock everyone in it?
  • feared porch swings?
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:54 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 244.2/233.8/140

I see lots of cover ups I do!!

I would like to add one:

Am I the only one, to get in bed before dh, and take my clothes off under the blankets (rather than him taking them off, while we are standing LOL)
PudgyGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:06 AM   #8  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I've got more:

- Would never wear shorts outside her own home?
- Went through a large tin of body powder every year, particularly in summer, to try to prevent chafing? (And, when looking for more, had to explain the concept of body powder to a sweet skinny young salesgirl who'd never heard of the stuff & couldn't imagine why anyone would use it?)
- When everyone piled into one car for a trip, tried always to get one of the front seats, so I wouldn't be crammed into the back, overspilling onto my neighbors?
- Was always getting those cheap jeans sewn up in the thights & patched, to try to get a little more wear out of them, so they looked like Frankenstein jeans, what with all the zig-zag stitching & dark threads in pale worn places?
- Tried to hide empty ice cream half-gallons & one-pound M&M bags from her trash from her highly observant (okay, snooping) landlady, in case she saw how quickly I went through them? (They were my equivalent of the closet alcoholic's tell-tale "empties.")
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:07 AM   #9  

Am I the only one who sits with her hand 'neath her chin like she's just having the most profound thoughts but really is simply hiding her double chin with her fingers?
Hiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:38 AM   #10  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Saef - One of yours really hits me

Quote:
When everyone piled into one car for a trip, tried always to get one of the front seats, so I wouldn't be crammed into the back, overspilling onto my neighbors?
Even worse, everyone tells you to take the front seat. Even though they would never say why, you know why!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:52 AM   #11  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2lose View Post
Am I the only one...
* who wore black pants and black shell with patterned jacket to try to look "thinner"
You mean it doesn't work? bummer.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:07 AM   #12  
CanadianVeggie

S/C/G: 207.7/207.7/150

Height: 5'6"

Great thread idea! You are definitely not alone!

Yep, i've done these (or still do ...)

- Coughs when they run out of breath going up one flight of stairs so nobody knows they're ACTUALLY gasping for air?

- Lied about my weight on my driver's license, or other important documents ...

- Wore a lot of black because it apparently makes you look thinner

- Wears a sweater in the middle of summer trying to hide certain areas

- Sits with her hand 'neath her chin like she's just having the most profound thoughts but really is simply hiding her double chin with her fingers
L R K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:21 AM   #13  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Immediately upon sitting on couch pulls throw pillow onto lap to block view of abdominal rolls?
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/150

Caryesings, yes! I've tried to hide behind pillows so often, and behind other people when somebody takes a picture!

I also wore heaps of black and jeans, I never had to match things, as everything I owned matched! How times have changed.

Last edited by Quillie; 08-10-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Quillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryesings View Post
Immediately upon sitting on couch pulls throw pillow onto lap to block view of abdominal rolls?
Ha! I thought I was the only one who did that.

How about keeping candy in my purse, keeping my purse in my lap, and "sneaking" pieces into my mouth one by one so that "nobody would know I was eating candy."

Eliana, I used to eat after a restaurant too. Another handy uber food "rule" was that food scarfed standing up, eaten alone, or eaten in the car, even if meal-like, was not "a meal."
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote