General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-10-2010, 12:52 AM   #1  
Do everything in love.

S/C/G: 420/305.4/145

Height: 5'9"

Default Homemade Bday Gifts for a Guy??

My close guy friend's birthday is this Sunday, and he refuses to let me buy him a gift (something about I already do too much for him), but he will let me make him something.... Yeah, it's never made sense to me either. I personally think he just likes to be difficult. The last few years, I've baked him cakes/made chocolate covered strawberries. But I am so beyond sick of baking. I have done the gift basket idea with a bunch of candy and little things for his Christmas gift last year (I was told I only got away with it on the technicality of creative thought although it was all store bought). I'm a writer, so I've also written him a parody story/letter before too. I'm at a loss for what to do, so I'd appreciate ideas of things I could make for him. He kind of likes video games but I think he's outgrowing them, but he is a computer and math geek. He's an active Christian, so I thought about making him some kind of Bible study kit, but I can't think of what to *make* other than a bookmark and Bibles typically have the ribbon bookmark anyway. I can be crafty enough when I put effort into it, so I'd be very grateful if you all can offer some ideas. Thank you!
ohlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:21 AM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Does he like Star Wars?

http://ohsohappytogether.blogspot.co...-tutorial.html

Or if video games... what characters from that?

Mario hat?

http://www.gadgetvenue.com/mario-crochet-hat-07303541/

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:38 AM   #3  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 333/310/260

A "Jews for Jesus" fanny pack! http://store.jewsforjesus.org/ppp/pr...php?prodid=400
Passionista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:47 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

How about a photo of the two of you together? Or if you have the time, tools, and inclination you could make a small scrapbook. Or frame a bible verse for him.

HTH! Enjoy!
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #5  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

oooh- taking on ANewCreations idea... something framed - scrap-booked picture with a good bible verse about friendship? i love that idea.

what about just making him a really nice dinner for his birthday? Effort appreciated, no actual gift.

maybe a fun little home made "coupon" book with things that you do that he could appreciate- like bake him something, make him dinner, whatever... tht he could cash in on whenever he wanted.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

A CD with all his favorite songs?
Shytowngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:24 PM   #7  
Amazing will be me

Dress the table and make him a meal
lucky8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:12 PM   #8  
Do everything in love.

S/C/G: 420/305.4/145

Thanks for all the good ideas! They really got me thinking. I finally decided to make him a "prayer jar," so instead of just one scripture I put about fifty really great verses in it. I also tried glass etching for the first time (btw that glass etching cream is scary... rubber gloves and goggles), so I was happy when I managed to have it turn out ok and not etch my skin off. I printed the verses on blood red paper and the cross on the jar is manly enough that I think it upped the macho factor a bit. I also made him a couple of mixed cds. Thanks again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00045-20100810-2036.jpg (21.1 KB, 6 views)
ohlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:26 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

Love it! How did he like it?
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote