Old 08-08-2010, 01:33 PM   #1  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Default Fun dinner idea...good for entertaining

I know so many of us struggle with entertaining as it relates to dieting. I discovered a fun way to entertain and get in some healthy fair along the way.

We bought a little grill at Lowe's for $6.00. Twice now as a family we've had a grill out that I say is fondu style. On a stick, we roast hot dogs, chunks of chickens, onions, colorful peppers, shrimp and of course marshmallows. For the chicken I just cut up small bits of chicken and mixed it around with some barbecue sauce. It came out really good on the grill, very tender and I'm picky.

Aside from the unhealthy marshmallows and hotdogs, this is a pretty healthy meal and because of the cooking time involved it's a lengthy event. It's great for chatting around the grill.

What else could you grill?
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 196/181/145

Height: 5'3"

mushrooms go well too

I usually do this in the oven. In tinfoil you can put lean hamburger meat (or turkey), usually put a small potato peeled and cut in pieces, mushrooms, corn (or any other veggies you want). It is really easy to make and easy to clean up because you can put it on a plate and throw away the tin foil and you are good to go. You can make individual pouches so you make it how ever each person likes.
ducktape54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #3  

What a great idea!

Hmmm, what else could you grill? Cherry tomatoes, pineapple, squash, zucchini, scallops, chunks of fish, mushrooms...

Different dipping sauces would be fun to incorporate too, like honey mustard, or an Asian sauce.

I really like this idea. Time to get out my bamboo skewers! Thank you!
redsox33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #4  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducktape54 View Post
mushrooms go well too

I usually do this in the oven. In tinfoil you can put lean hamburger meat (or turkey), usually put a small potato peeled and cut in pieces, mushrooms, corn (or any other veggies you want). It is really easy to make and easy to clean up because you can put it on a plate and throw away the tin foil and you are good to go. You can make individual pouches so you make it how ever each person likes.
We used to call those tinfoil packet dinners "Hobo Dinner". You can put any meat and veggies you like, spice it up, add a pat of butter if you're using very lean meat (or not if you don't want the extra fat), and bake it on the coals or in the oven (or steam in a steamer, if you like).

I taught one of my old boyfriends how to cook like this. He LOVED it, because he didn't have to clean up any cooking dishes. I also taught him how to steam a plate full of meat and veggies (using an empty tuna can with both ends cut out as a "ring" to set the plate on over an inch of water in the large stew pot he never used). He liked that one for the same reason... very little cleanup, AND the food was nice and moist and didn't dry out like it could in the microwave.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 372.9/352/162??

Height: 5'8.5"

I cook kabobs in the oven :P

I like chicken, pork, roast beef, peppers, onions, tomatoes, squash, mushrooms, etc.
ChunkyDunk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #6  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

I second the Kabobs.
I've been to a few kabob parties in the summer when peoples gardens were overflowing with veggies. It's fun to see how many different things you can grill.

It's so much fun to see people making their own, they can be very creative.
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote