Old 08-07-2010, 06:04 AM   #1  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Default Caffeine. "Detox" Weightloss?

I still dip once a day into the forum for the low carb diet I tried. There are some people who've done very well. There are some people who moan that they haven't lost and they 'only' cheated on the weekend, oh and they had a glass of wine every day. So like most diets, I suppose!

One new person has asked if she has to give up caffeine in P1 of the diet, as instructed. And all the answers so far tell her that she Has to do so to "detox", that she Has to do so to lose weight.

Bear in mind this is the UK, and most of us when we talk about a cup of coffee, we mean a cup of instant, not the high-octane real stuff you American cousins are used to!

Setting aside adding milk/cream/sugar to the coffees, can anyone tell me:
Is there any proof that continuing to drink caffeine will impede weightloss?
Is there any proof that caffeine is something so awful that the body needs to detox from it by abstinence?

Just curious.
Ta.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:08 AM   #2  
Meg

I lost 122 pounds in a year drinking a pot of coffee a day. And I've kept it off for more than eight years doing the same thing. So in my experience, caffeine doesn't hinder weight loss (and is essential to life! )
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:50 AM   #3  
Happy Plodder

Hey, I want some of your magic coffee!!! :wink:

Wow on the weightloss! What did you do to lose so much so soon, and to maintain it for so long?

(Sorry if you've repeated yourself many times over the 8 years!)
Old 08-07-2010, 07:04 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

From things i've read, caffeine is a stimulant, and as such it increases stress hormones such as cortisol, which increases appetite, especially for sweet foods. So, I think that's why some programs have people stop drinking coffee.

Some find that caffeine initially depresses appetite, but in my experience appetite surges back later on.

I also think that in general, Americans drink too much coffee, and thus are in a constant state of stimulation and therefore stress. I feel better when I lower my caffeine intake.

But, to each their own. I like my coffee in the morning, even though it's half-decaf.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:07 AM   #5  
Meg

on the magic coffee!

I was (am) a calorie counter and what I did to lose the weight and keep it off is pretty typical of a lot of our members. I started at 1600 calories of lean proteins, whole grains, lowfat dairy, fruits, veggies, and good fats; and dropped by 100 calories whenever I plateaued. The last six months of my weight loss were spent at about 1200-1300 calories. I did about two hours of exercise a day, both cardio and weights. I also journalled every bite, weighed and measured portions, planned ahead, and used all of our usual weight loss tools and tricks.

As for maintenance, it's basically the same thing, with a treat meal added in now and then. I still count calories, journal, weigh and measure portions, plan ahead etc. It's just part of the background of my life now and I don't even think about it.

So I didn't do anything special.

I was willing to give up almost everything to lose the weight -- except coffee! (I drink it black so no issues with sugar or creamer for me) And honestly, I really don't think it made the slightest bit of difference in my weight loss. Would I have lost faster if I hadn't drunk coffee? I doubt it. It's all about calories in versus calories out, after all. And coffee has virtually no calories so -- why not?
Old 08-07-2010, 07:24 AM   #6  
Happy Plodder

Thanks for that.

I'm doing exactly the same, except on 1400 calories, and I'm not getting that amount of exercise. I do need to work at that. Otherwise, you give me hope!
Old 08-07-2010, 07:25 AM   #7  
Meg

Rosinante, it's all about consistency and just not giving up. Just keep on doing what you're doing and you WILL reach your goal!
Old 08-07-2010, 07:36 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I think its about choices too, could I give up my 1 cup of coffee a day? Likely. But I don't want to - instead I've given up ALL other drinks with added sugar and that makes a bigger difference to my weight loss.

I think Meg losing 122 pounds and continuing to drink coffee is enough proof for me

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:17 AM   #9  
Happy Plodder

Yup!
Old 08-07-2010, 08:42 AM   #10  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I drink coffee every morning too (ice coffee in the summer).
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:02 AM   #11  

Height: 5' 8" on a good day

I stopped drinking coffee, tea & all caffeine beverages years ago for medical reasons (cardiac arrhythmia).
Never made a difference one way or another with my weight. If anything, I'm fatter now than when I was drinking coffee.

Last edited by susiemartin; 08-07-2010 at 09:02 AM.
susiemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #12  
Really maintaining now!

S/C/G: 375.6/low 160s maintaining

Height: 6'

200+ pounds lost, and swilling coffee all the way. I *like* coffee. I cut the sugar, I cut the cream, I am down to Splenda and a small splash of soy milk for add-ins, and I make the space for it in my calorie count.
catherinef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:26 PM   #13  
Happy Plodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by catherinef View Post
200+ pounds lost, and swilling coffee all the way. I *like* coffee. I cut the sugar, I cut the cream, I am down to Splenda and a small splash of soy milk for add-ins, and I make the space for it in my calorie count.
You just made me spit My coffee on my keyboard! What a fantastic loss, well done!

I am so glad I asked this question it's brought so many inspirational people to the surface!
Old 08-07-2010, 01:13 PM   #14  
Knowing I'm worth it!

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

I work at Starbucks and am addicted to pure espresso. It's nothing for me to have 6 to 8 shots during a shift. A shot is 5 calories and has 75mgs. of caffeine. I use Splenda and either a splash of half & half or non-fat milk. I keep track of the calories, but I will NEVER give up my coffee!
Teresa66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:59 PM   #15  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

We are starting IVF here in a few weeks, and so at the recommendation of my doctor, I've cut caffeine out of my life for the first time ever. I have certainly not noticed any difference in my weight loss. I've also been really hungry lately, but I can't say for sure that that is connected.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote