Old 08-06-2010, 09:14 PM   #1  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

Default Cabbage soup (not the diet, well sorta)

I think nearly everyone has heard of the cabbage soup diet. It's the one diet that I never went on. I don't plan on going on it either cause I'm done with dieting but just out of curiosity I looked it up because my mother in law was telling me how she liked the cabbage soup recipe because it was so low cal and it would fill her up.

Filling low cal foods are what I love these days so I was wondering for those of you who have tried the diet, how did you like the soup? Was it tasty?

I found the recipe and it actually looks pretty good. I would replace the V-8 juice & chicken bouillon with low sodium chicken broth & add in my own blend of spices to taste and add in some other kinds of veggies.

Cabbage Soup
* 6 large green onions
* 2 green peppers
* 1 or 2 cans of tomatoes (diced or whole)
* 3 Carrots
* 1 Container (10 oz. or so) Mushrooms
* 1 bunch of celery
* half a head of cabbage
* 1 package Lipton soup mix
* 1 or 2 cubes of bouillon (optional)
* 1 48oz can V8 juice (optional)
* Season to taste with salt, pepper, parsley, curry, garlic powder, etc.

Directions:
Slice green onions, put in a pot and start to saute with cooking spray. Cut green pepper stem end off and cut in half, take the seeds and membrane out. Cut the green-pepper into bite size pieces and add to pot. Take the outer leafs layers off the cabbage, cut into bite size pieces, add to pot. Clean carrots, cut into bite size pieces, and add to pot. Slice mushrooms into thick slices, add to pot. If you would like a spicy soup, add a small amount of curry or cayenne pepper now. You can use beef or chicken bouillon cubes for seasonings. These have all the salt and flavors you will need. Use about 12 cups of water (or 8 cups and the V8 juice), cover and put heat on low. Let soup cook for a long time - two hours works well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:16 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for sharing!
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:13 PM   #3  
Call me Finki =)

S/C/G: 400/300/155

Height: 5'6"

I have tried the cabbage soup and the diet. The soup is very filling, tasty, and low cal. I make it quite often for my family and they all enjoy it. The only other veggie I have added is green beans because we love them, I also use white or yellow onion in place of the green.
Gelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:04 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Even though I don't follow Weight Watchers anymore, I love the "zero point soups" I found online and invented. I use exchanges rather than points, so I just convert the soup into exchanges (usually it's veggie exchanges only, which I don't limit, but I do count).

I try to remember to drink an equivalent amount of water, because the sodium level is generally high enough to cause mild water-rention if I don't count.

My stand-by recipe is

In equal parts

chicken broth (usually from a can, occasionally water and a bouillon cube)
tomato juice or combination vegetable juice such as V-8

non-starchy fresh or frozen veggies in any combination

cabbage
celery
onions
mushrooms
bell pepper
canned beets (diced and I use the canning liquid too)
green beans
carrots (light on the carrots, because they're a fairly high-sugar vegetable)
cauliflower
broccoli
diced baby corn (lower in starch than "full-grown" corn
frozen veggie blends
diced tomatoes
kohlrabi, turnip or rhutebega
spinache or other greens (even leaf lettuces are great in soups)
zucchini, summer squash, and/or cucumber (cucumber can be cooked - it has the taste and texture of zucchini when cooked)

just about any veggie you can eat cooked or raw, you can throw in a soup. Although I've read recipes for iceberg lettuce cooked and in soups - but I don't like the texture. It's about the only veggie I can think of that is ruined by adding to soup.

Last edited by kaplods; 08-07-2010 at 12:11 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:19 AM   #5  
Spartan Kitty

S/C/G: 270/*ticker*/160?

Height: 5'4"

I've done the cabbage soup diet, the soup was pretty yummy and really filling. But don't eat too much, it causes serious gas and other unpleasant intestinal issues.
Latchkey Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:24 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 250+/176/149

Height: 5'7"

I love cabbage soup. Cabbage and tomatoes are a must have and I add whatever else is in season. I'll also add browned ground turkey to make it a meal!
hhichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:52 AM   #7  

S/C/G: crazy/working/calm

Height: 5'8"

Great recipe. Thanks for posting!
Alexistrophic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:20 AM   #8  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

In fall and winter, soup becomes a mainstay for my lunches. It's a nice, easy, tasty way to make sure I have my veggies. It fills me up a great deal, and I have to adjust how much other food I pack for lunch.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote