Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 298/221/200

Height: 5"8

Default Why Did You Gain So Much Weight??

How Did U Gain Weight Or Why? We All Come From Diffrent Paths Of Life But In A Way We Are The Same Because We Come Here On This Site For Support Or Answers. I Would Love To Know Ur Story. U Never Know We Might Be Going Thru The Same Things Right Now.
jay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 230.8/see ticker/160

Height: 5'8

I had major surgery last June and immediately after surgery I started having panic attacks. Horrible horrible panic attacks, and I will admit, I ate to comfort myself. After an attack I would be so upset and I would eat. After my surgery I was 170 pounds and I ate myself up to almost 213 pounds in a matter of 4 months. In the past 3 days I've cut out all gluten and all dairy, and I haven't had a panic attack since therefore no binging. I was suffering from 2, 3, 4, 5 panic attacks a day. I feel incredible.
babygrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 298/221/200

Height: 5"8

Im Glad U Feel Better!!!! Good For U!
jay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230.8/see ticker/160

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay12 View Post
Im Glad U Feel Better!!!! Good For U!
80 pounds lost?!?! That's fricken incredible! Good for you! YOU must feel better!
babygrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:26 PM   #5  
saggzz

S/C/G: 222/205.6/170

Height: 5'9"

For me it was Paxil. I was having anxiety issues and my doctor prescribed paxil. I gained 40 pounds in 2 months (no lie). I felt better, but I was fat. After I went off paxil, I lost about 20 pounds. After my 2nd child, I had severe post-partum and my doctor prescribed lexapro. Again, gained about 25 pounds in 2-3 months. I then took myself off of it. I battle with anxiety off and on, but find if I exercise consistently I do not have issues. My doctor told me that I gained so much weight b/c I felt better, therefore, was eating more. I, in fact, was not eating more. I am pretty sure those types of medicine just severely disagree with my body chemistry and mess with my metabolism. I am at my current weight b/c I like ice cream and sweets
saggzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:38 PM   #6  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Stupidity. I just answered this on another thread, actually.

I didn't realize just how much exercise contributed to my slender body of yore. Looking back, I always slimmed down during Marching band season and then packed on the pounds all winter until marching band started again. Then in college, I walked and walked and walked, but didn't realize I was walking because it was out of necessity. We had no cars and the bus system was poor. You could wait 15 minutes for the bus or hike your way across campus in the same amount of time. When I graduated and married, I became sedentary and enjoyed feeding my new husband. At about that time I also developed PCOS and therefore insulin resistance.

I fought the gain for 10 years! But I didn't understand. I had the mentality that the weight should come off quickly and that the speed should match my intensity. When I put in every ounce of effort I could gather up but the scale didn't cooperate, I threw in the towel. This time, I gave myself a fool safe way of not failing by committing to finding out where I'd be in one year if I remained on plan without giving up. THat's where I learned that my problem was about calories in vs. calories out.

It's interesting...if you asked me this question at the beginning of this journey I'd have said I didn't know. My body just liked to be fat and fought me tooth and nail. I've learned that isn't true and my body isn't broken. I'm just very impatient...more impatient than I ever gave myself credit for.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 156/150/130

Height: 5'4

For me it was eating for comfort and companionship. My marriage was in trouble and I had a special needs son, had to work full time to manage bills, hubby was never home, and I had no friends where I lived. So dinner consisted of at least 2 full dinners, and my main liquid intake was Mountain Dew. Weight watchers broke the cycle, then I gained some back, and now I'm working on changing things for good.
winning the war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:24 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 267.8/211/150

Height: 5'2"

3 reasons.

1. I was diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic when I was 11. I used to sneak candy, which I think started my bad food habits.
2. In college I was raped by an ex boyfriend. I had a really twisted sense of relationships and the place of sex in relationships after that. I started eating, ultimately, to become invisible to males, I think. Somehow my now husband broke through all of that, but it didn't "cure" me, so to speak.
3. I quit smoking cold turkey when my then fiance and I moved halfway across the country to live together while I went to grad school. We had a tough transition moving in together with no local friends for outside support. The stress of grad school, living together for the first time, and quitting smoking really pushed me over the edge. Until that point, I was overweight but not obese. I began comfort eating and become obese. Then, I had 2 children and had an extra 15 pounds stick around after each one (go figure, considering I only gained 8 pounds with each pregnancy, and within weeks after each child was born lost 30 pounds), pushing me into morbidly obese.

Last edited by Bac0s; 08-05-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Bac0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:31 PM   #9  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

I gained weight from simply not
watching what I ate. Even as a kid
I developed REALLY bad habits and
it contributed. Which is why it's so
hard for me now to give up sweets.
But I'm determined to be healthy!

Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:37 PM   #10  
It's about time

S/C/G: 300/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

You know...that's a really good question!

I got down to about 135 from the low 200s my freshman year of high school by starving myself, and I think I screwed up my metabolism. When I started eating like a normal person again (when I moved to another state and started missing my friends and my life), I gained it back fast. That accounts for some of it, but the last 80 or 100 pounds are just totally inexcusable. I don't know how I could have let this happen.
ParadiseFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:50 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

Well I gained a lot of weight when I hit puberty and have just been fat ever since. I got in to shape a few times but I never focused on my diet and I'm very prone to binging and over eating. I guess I just never really worried about my weight until this year.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:51 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 195/*ticker*/123

Height: 5'2"

My story is a bit long, sorry... Kudos to whoever acually gets through it!

In high school I was chubby, not too bad though, I wasn't terribly upset over it... After HS I moved in with my BF (now DH) and we were broke and living off of junk and we started to put on a few pounds. He went to Navy bootcamp and we moved to the east coast, still not much money- still lots of junk, we started to get healthy and I started taking Lipo 6-a diet pill. We moved to Washington and I continued with the Lipo 6. His deployment schedule is 3 months in, 3 months deployed, 3 month in, etc etc etc. Well... on the second deployment of his, I got serious about losing weight... too serious. I upped the lipo to 6 a day (only supposed to take 4) and I restricted myself to 700 calories and if I went over more then that I purged- even DH doesn't know about the purging. I was a wreck this time, didn't have many friends, was away from family and my love was deployed. Well, I got down to about 115. When dh was due to come back I stopped purging and stopped the pills, went up to 120 but was actually able to maintain after even without the help and up to 1,000 calories a day. I looked great! I was happy and DH as well as several other sailors made so many comments.

Shortly after homecoming, I was still 120-125 and DH and I decided to try for a baby. We got pregnant quickly and life was wonderful. We went for my 16 week ob-gyn appointment and the ultrasound showed no heartbeat and the baby had stopped growing at about 11 weeks. I was devastated. Completely 110% certifiably torn apart. Hysterical. I had a D&C the next day in which I had to be fully sedated because I was sobbing so much I couldn't breathe. After being released from the hospital, the only thing I wanted was a banana shake from this little diner. Everything went downhill from there. I either didn't eat at all, or all I ate was comfort food. DH who is my ultimate health supporter and partner would let me eat whatever I wanted because at least I was eating. I took 2 months off of work, withdrew from school the following year, stopped working out since I didn't want to run into anyone I knew. 2 months after all this, DH deployed again, I still couldn't make it through a day without crying- I ate whatever I wanted and drank with my few girlfriends to deal. That deployment was hard, DH's boat lost a shipmate (rare for his kind of job) and my grandfather who had surgery earlier for pancreatic cancer was given the news that he wouldn't make it much longer (which he actually did). My sister in law was pregnant, all my friends were getting pregnant- so I ate and ate and ate.

6 months later I moved back to our hometown where DH and I bought a house. He is still in WA since his military orders are there and he is still deploying. I tried the Lipo 6 a few times and everytime it made me very sick even though it never did before, I went to the gym some but stopped after I heard some stupid high school aged boys making fun of me. But, in mid July, at my all time high of 185-188 (I fluctuate a lot) I decided this was it. DH gets out of the Navy in January, he wants to go into the police force and wants to get into shape, I have dreams of overnight backpacking trip and being fit and healthy, wearing a bikini on the cruise we are hoping to take in the next year or 2... I'm serious this time. And on my own. No pills, no purging, no strict caloric cutting.

I am in no way making an excuse. I knew everytime I ordered taco bell or burger king that I was eating 3 or 4 days worth of food in one meal... I just didn't care. My self love and idea of self worth was so low.

So, that's my story... I'm doubting pressing the send button lol. Thanks for reading whoever does- this was actually thearputic- going to go do some yoga now I think
AshleighAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:53 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 266/216/166

Height: 5' 1"

I've been overweight since I was a little, little girl. I was made fun of in pre-school because I was even overweight then but my weight really ballooned a few years ago when I started binging and over eating really bad. I'd have like cookies for breakfast, a school lunch (to which calorie content can sky rocket) with cookies, cookies when I got home and then just eat and eat and eat all night. I liked food so I ate, I ate when I was sad, happy, mad, etc. Food was just my all-around buddy.
bunnythesAINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:33 PM   #14  

Stress and depression.

Husband took a job in another state for half a year, leaving me with 4 kids.
He comes back home and while I'm happy, he's having a hard time adjusting.
Marital troubles begin.
One of my best friends dies of cancer at 34 years old.
More marital trouble.
Then even deeper marital trouble.
My 17 year old dog dies. I had had him for more than half my life.
Marital trouble.
1bighog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:15 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 242/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Really proud of everyone for their progress and successes so far!

It's been a slow, gradual thing my whole life without me really worrying about health or even seriously losing till this year.

Always had a bunch of muscle/was big boned from sports for so many years. Quit sports at the end of high school.
I was always a recluse of sorts but in college it exploded to full blown social-anxiety and tinges of depression. I was on medication and didn't really see any difference inside or out so I quit taking it and just dealt with it while comfort eating.
All my grandparents and dog died within 8 months of each other and any weight losing I wanted to do took a back seat to more comfort eating.
Out of college, it ballooned a bit because I wasn't walking all the time to classes anymore.
That mixed with plain laziness just wasn't going in a good direction...but it's getting so much better!

Last edited by Luddy; 08-06-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Luddy is offline   Reply With Quote