Old 08-03-2010, 04:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 184/ticker/134

Height: 5'7"

Default Newbie - Advice

Hi, I went in for my consultation today. The program sounds a little too good to be true, so I'm a bit skeptical. Does anyone have any advice or comments to put my mind at ease before I decide.

I've read a lot of good reviews, but I've also read that the menu keeps you on about 800-cal/day, which doesn't sound healthy. I've tried everything out there and I'm tired of quick-fixes that work until you stop, then you end up gaining all your weight back. I'm ready for a complete over-haul. Is this the right program for that?
Sandi Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #2  

Height: 5'6''

Sandi - The nice thing about this program (if you do it and stick to it) is that the weight comes off. They have a process at the end called stabilization and maintenance where they teach you how to add foods back in at the end and without this, yes you would gain your weight back.

What I like best about MRC, well, there are several things...but I like that it has taught me how to eat. Even when I eat things that are off program I find myself thinking of the type of food i'm eating...protein, carb, veggies, etc. This plan has taught me how to balance when I eat. It's not magic and not something I couldn't have learned somewhere else, this is just where I learned it.

I also like that this plan uses mostly real food...lean meat, veggies and fruit are the main staplese of this diet. No special food to buy.

They will try to sell you lots of supplements, but you don't have to have anything from them other than the drinks. Everything else you can either live without or buy elsewhere.

Ask questions if you have them...we'll try to answer.
Hvnlymzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:32 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi Pants View Post
Hi, I went in for my consultation today. The program sounds a little too good to be true, so I'm a bit skeptical. Does anyone have any advice or comments to put my mind at ease before I decide.

I've read a lot of good reviews, but I've also read that the menu keeps you on about 800-cal/day, which doesn't sound healthy. I've tried everything out there and I'm tired of quick-fixes that work until you stop, then you end up gaining all your weight back. I'm ready for a complete over-haul. Is this the right program for that?

Hi Sandi .... the program is very restrictive, expensive (and the expense continues through the whole program, as you are required to drink 3-4 protein drinks a day) and, as you noted ... it's low-cal, low-carb, low-sodium, low-fat. Like any other diet program .... it will only work if you stick to it. And like any other program, that means finishing the program, the stabilization and the maintenance part. And also like any other diet programs ... the percentages of people who actually keep the weight off over the long run are not great.

I've lost and gained the weight twice now, so working on round #3. That's no one's fault but my own ... and I'm still not convinced this is the way for me, but at this point, I don't know what else to do. Weight loss is such an individual and emotional thing and there are so many factors that go into it. You will need to decide what you feel you will do. The weight loss (depending on how much you have to lose) pretty much mimics any other program, in that you lose quite a bit quickly, but when you average it out over the course of your program, it usually falls in the 1.5-3 pound per week average by the end.

Good luck with your decision -- it's a big one.
dkmd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:45 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 191/140

Height: 5

My husband and I went in for a consultation today. My husband needs approval from his physician to start the program (he has blood clotting issues), but I'm thinking of starting it now. She said it would be $298 to lose 50 pounds in 17 weeks, and it looks like its about $100 a month for the drinks and vitamins/supplements. She seemed to talk in circles and never really got down to the program itself, just saying I had to drink the supplements 4 times a day. Is that in addition to regular food? She got defensive when I asked if I could buy the vitamins somewhere else and that the other vitamins/oil weren't as good as theirs. She said I would be on a 950-1000 calorie a day diet. We filled out all the paperwork, but she didn't really go over it. I want to get REAL advice from people who have tried it and succeeded. OF course she's is going to mention success stories, but aren't those names confidential? Any and ALL advice is appreciated. Back in 2004 I lost 40 and my husband lost almost 100, but I ran into medical issues (long, long, long, story), so the weight came back and brought friends. -Susan
sclingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:08 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 320/ticker/197

Height: 5'2"

The program is like everyone said. Low-fat/Low-Carb/Lean protein/veggies. You do have to drink the drinks. Anywhere from 3 to 5 a day depending on your starting weight. I do not buy anything from the center except the drinks. They push their vitamins, but you can get them much cheaper. I buy mine at GNC or Target. I used to take a few of the supplements, but I don't anymore. It's just not worth the cost to me.

I had a blood Clot and so far the only thing I can't take that they sell is the MRC-6. Something in there effects the blood, so they don't want me to take it.

They will keep most of the program a secret until you go to the food class.. Then they give you all the information at once. It's a bit confusing to start out with. Everyone on this board is great with info and ideas. We all do the program, but a little different.

Good Luck!! The program does work if you stick with it...
MEEZOOGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:17 PM   #6  
2010ismyyear

S/C/G: 164/142/135

Height: 5' 4"

Meezoogirl hit the nail on the head!!! I started June 28, 2010. I had 28 lbs. to loose and knew that I needed to be accountable to something and someone! I weighed in Saturday at day 33 and had lost 12 lbs. and 17 inches total. I don't cheat or go off plan, however, it is not really that difficult! The first week I wanted to hurt someone because it was hard. The lady at the center explained that I was truly detoxifying my body, so it was a definite shock for me. But once over that hump, it just depends on how bad you want it! I have loved this program. I know that I can not sustain it forever, but look forward to the stabilization and maintenance part of it! You'll do fine with the support of everyone here!
STEPHANIES36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:01 PM   #7  

Thanks for the information. I think that's crap about detoxifying your body; that's what the skin, kidneys, liver and colon are for. I'm thinking of starting it and buying the supplements first, but when I run out, buying them somewhere else.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 222 / see tracker / 150

Height: 5'5'

When they say detoxification, it's not in a scientific sense as much as habitual sense. If you eat processed foods every day, your body always has processed foods in it. However, if you go on program and cut out all the extra sodium, extra sugar, processed foods and most dairy out of your body, after a couple days, you're at a fresh start.

Thats why the first week is hard because you're changing your habits.
GoalAug2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:36 PM   #9  
Never give up!!!

S/C/G: 245/235/185

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclingman View Post
Thanks for the information. I think that's crap about detoxifying your body; that's what the skin, kidneys, liver and colon are for. I'm thinking of starting it and buying the supplements first, but when I run out, buying them somewhere else.
I bought my first round of supplements there also, but have found them cheaper at other places. There is a lot of good info & advice here. Everybody is so helpful when you need advice. I have been doing this since the beginning of may & feel like I have been doing very well. It is really easy if you are organized & plan ahead. I make up a few meals at a time so I will always have something I should eat in the fridge if I'm on the go. I feel like I eat way more than I should, but I keep losing. I like the center because the classes they provide are full of great information. I have tried other diets, but this one is so different. We all know what we should do, but with the help & support from the ladies at the center it makes is so much easier. I also like the accountability aspect of it. The things I don't really like are the fact that it is expensive & they try to push their products. I have learned how to not make it a struggle with the cost just by purchasing things elsewhere & when they ask me if I need products I tell them I have plenty.

Good luck. Just stay focused you can do it!!!
shannysmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:49 PM   #10  

The one other thing that bothered me is when they did the body composition. She didn't clean the scale at all before I got on without shoes and socks. So unprofessional. Hope I don't get athletes' foot from someone.....
Old 08-04-2010, 11:11 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 184/ticker/134

Height: 5'7"

Thank you all for your thoughts and comments!

I went back in today armed with my husband. 2 reasons for that...#1 he wants to lose about 80lbs and I thought if we could do this together, we'd have a better chance of succeeding; #2 he's a straight shooter and I wanted to make sure I wasn't looking through rose-colored glasses and getting the wool pulled over my eyes.

It caught me by surprise when they actually recommended he only lose about 60lbs, which he's happy about. I figured they would try to talk us into losing as much weight as possible in order to stay on the program for a long as possible. Also, they told me I was only required to drink 2 drinks a day, 3 for him. Are different centers run differently?

Anyway, after the consult, my hubs and I talked it over with each other...at lunch.....over pizza (we're horrible), and we decided that if it'll teach us how to eat right and make healthy decisions and if it'll help me with my self-confidence, then it's worth it. So we'll both be signing up on Friday!

I'm really excited to get started but also very nervous. 27 years of deep-south, deep-fried eating will be going out the window along with my coke addiction and insatiable hankering for chips and dip. Hopefully, a few lbs will be going out that window, too!

I will definitely be here looking for advice and support so I'm glad I'm not alone out there!!!

Last edited by Sandi Pants; 08-04-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Sandi Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:47 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 189/see ticker/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclingman View Post
The one other thing that bothered me is when they did the body composition. She didn't clean the scale at all before I got on without shoes and socks. So unprofessional. Hope I don't get athletes' foot from someone.....
Ewww. My center always cleaned the scale. I'd definitely ask next time if they don't clean it. No point in risking it!!!!
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:30 AM   #13  
Never too old

S/C/G: 227/180/170

Good luck, Sandi Pants, I don't think either of you will be sorry. I have not heard of anyone who only needed to drink two nutritional drinks (HNS). My daughter is in stabilization and she still needs three daily.
If you don't have other family members to cook for, clean out your cabinets and give away everything canned or processed. It will be too old to use when you start eating those items again (if you do) and it is so much easier when there is no temptation in the house.
I think they give you a very favorable weight loss estimate; most of us lose only 1.5-2 pounds weekly. Say you do lose 2 pounds weekly, that's 35 pounds; after that investment you won't want to quit, so you will sign up for additional weeks for more $$$.
It does work but it is expensive even if you only buy the drinks. Also you will feel really good because you are eating healthy foods!
Auntieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:03 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 320/ticker/197

Height: 5'2"

Good Luck Sandi.. The first few days are tough.. My hardest thing was to give up Coke Zero.. I love it.. Still do.. I just don't drink it. I keep diet Rite on hand for when I feel the soda need. Once you get all you water in, there isn't a lot of room left to drink other stuff.. The amount of drinks depends on your starting weight. As you loose, they cut back on stuff...

I like that they are a little conservative on their loss estimates. It makes me think I can actually do it. I'm never going to weigh 120 lbs like WWatchers said I should. This makes me feel like I can do it. And if you get down there, they will let you move your goal if you want.

Once you get through the first week or so, you'll be good to go.. Good Luck!! Hope to see you around the board..
MEEZOOGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:49 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 222/151/155

Height: 6'1''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi Pants View Post

I'm really excited to get started but also very nervous. 27 years of deep-south, deep-fried eating will be going out the window along with my coke addiction and insatiable hankering for chips and dip. Hopefully, a few lbs will be going out that window, too!

I will definitely be here looking for advice and support so I'm glad I'm not alone out there!!!
Yea, you! You won't regret it. I have gone from rock bottom - docs were talking about depression meds - to active and full of joy in 3.5 months. Never thought I would feel this great again! Be prepared - the first few weeks are pretty brutal with cravings and feeling deprived from giving up all of your favorite foods. If you can get over the hump (and you have your hubby to help keep you accountable!), you're going to be better off and the cravings will diminish. Just don't go off plan! Those hankerings for chips will go away. When we go out to eat, they can actually set the bread basket right in front of me and I just smile and push it to my bronze Adonis husband to eat. It smells good and I would love to have a slice, but I don't HAVE to have a slice. 3 months ago, I would have never had that power.

So, good job and we can't wait to start seeing your results!
hatethesweatpants is offline   Reply With Quote