South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-03-2010, 08:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: maintaining

Default Chia Chat

I'd love to know more about chia. How do you use it? Where do you get it? Nutritional info? Anything you can think to share, I am sure others would love to learn more too. Thanks.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:19 AM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

When I was researching chia it took awhile to find sources that weren't selling something. Here are a few:

Andrew Weil

Living and Raw Foods

Chia and diabetes

Nutrition Data

one more with some recipes

I've been using them every day for the last week and a half. It's too early to know about other health benefits but they definitely help me stay full longer. I have 1 ounce with breakfast, either chia pudding or in my smoothie, and I stay full until lunch time. This is a near miracle for me because I am a serious morning eater (10 am snack and usually starving by 11:30). I've been sipping chia fresca all afternoon with equally good results. My energy level has seemed to stay higher longer but I want more time before I call that a chia benefit. Also , umm , my system seems to be working optimally if ya know what I mean.

I'm most interested in the long term benefits of the omega 3s and ALAs but so far am impressed enough with the short term benefits to stick with it. In fact I just received an order for 3 lbs

Last edited by CyndiM; 08-03-2010 at 08:20 AM.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:13 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Karen, check your larger grocery stores or health food stores. Several grocery chains in my area carry them, and the prices vary. I like the Spectrum brand.

I've been adding a heaping TBSP to a 32oz. bottle of SF pink lemonade that I sip from all day, and it really does keep me feeling full. I've been stirring some into my yogurt, too.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:36 AM   #4  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I agree that it helps me feel full longer. I drink it in the afternoon in a large glass of iced, herbal tea and it helps keep the "noshies" at bay. I also drink it in a large glass of crystal light directly after dinner and it hits that sweet tooth and keeps the snacking monster away.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:43 AM   #5  

I am a little confused, is this considered SB friendly? Is a fiber supplement also?
LindsaysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:03 AM   #6  
Working on healthy

I just ordered three lbs from Amazon. Our Co-op sells it in bulk but this was easier and cheaper.

Yes, seeds are South Beach friendly. The links have more information about possible benefits including amount of fiber (there's lots).
Old 08-03-2010, 03:26 PM   #7  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

I still haven't found these, but tomorrow I'll be going to Walmart to grocery shop and I think I'll swing by Harris Teeter on the way. Harris Teeter has a lot of things I don't normally see in other stores. I want to try them out really badly. They sound wonderful.

Question, since they're seeds are they supposed to be limited? Or what would be a daily amount we could have?
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:27 PM   #8  
honeysox

S/C/G: 216/207/150

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the info, guys! I'm going chia hunting soon. : )

~~Sally
honeysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:12 PM   #9  

S/C/G: maintaining

Thanks chicks! I am going to try it. I think my DH will want to as well once he reads some of the purported benefits.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #10  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

I was at school all day so getting in last on this.

The cheapest I've found them is at Amazon. I got a 5lb bag. Wholefoods has them, but they are more expensive.

I think they are wonderful. I got my daughter hooked on them too.
I just sip all day. You can also add them to foods since they have no taste....great in dressings. But I just like the way they do in drinks.

Today was crazy. I had a meeting in a town 30 minutes from here at the school board office this morning. Then I decided to go ahead and go work on my classroom some more and didn't pack anything ahead of time cause I thought I was coming home. I had a huge green smoothie about 6:30 this morning, then nothing but tea with chia seeds in it at school. I finally stopped around 2:00 realizing I had not eaten since that smoothie..
those chias kept me happy till I finally ate at 2:30. I keep some in a plastic container in my purse and won't ever be without them. Not only do they fill you up, but have so many health benefits...just the protein alone is great.

Oh and Mel....I just love Harris Teeter. My sister has one in NC and I just drool in that store. My brother in law went to a super HT once and called it the "Taj Ma Teeter". Lucky you!!!! I have to drive to either New Orleans or Baton Rouge to Whole Foods to get special stuff.

I've spent practically my whole summer researching foods and chia was one of the first I got turned on to.
I'm trying to get as much "raw" as I can without giving up my beloved seafood. Raw foods research is really interesting and I've learned so much about so many new things I've never heard of. SB kind of put me on the trail to even do more.

Last edited by femmecreole; 08-03-2010 at 06:58 PM.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:39 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Many of you had said they're tasteless, but one of those links talks about a slightly nutty flavor, and great taste. Any comments on that?

I might have to stop at the local whole foods place and check them out!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:46 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Twynn, I think they pick up the flavor of whatever you add them to, but on their own, they're tasteless.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:09 AM   #13  
Working on healthy

I haven't noticed any taste even in the chia pudding. Once the seeds expand any hint of nuttiness seems to disappear.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:16 AM   #14  

I was looking on Amazon and wondering do you buy the seeds or powder? I noticed that a lot of you are adding this to tea, pudding, etc do you add the whole seeds or are you buying powder or grinding them up?
litar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:39 AM   #15  
Working on healthy

I'm using seeds. As soon as you add them to liquid they get soft and gelatinous. I am curious about the powder and might try some when baking season rolls around again.