Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #1  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Default My post-travelling report :)

Some of you know that I was on a trip home from July 7-July 23rd. I wanted to keep posting for accountability over the trip, but yea, that didn't happen, lol. And then I was so busy that I haven't been able to get on 3FC much since I've been back. But anyways, it was a majorly exciting trip because my wonderful boyfriend was back in the States for leave after 9 months in Iraq. Naturally, there were a ton of parties and dinners out and such. Smoked ribs, burgers, carnival and rodeo food, constant beer, airport food, on-the-road fast food stops, awesome dinners out, awesome dinners at home, all kinds of snack foods laying around everywhere. Needless to say, it was challenging.

I give myself a B+ for the trip. The morning I left, on July 7th, I weighed 128.4lbs. The morning after I got back, on July 24th, I weighed 131.0lbs. But the next day, I started my TOM and immediately dropped down to 130.0lbs. And I've been hovering between 128.0-129.6lbs for the whole week. So yes, I think there was a slight fat gain, but the gain I initially saw was mostly water weight from eating junk at the airport and TOM-ness. For two weeks of constant bbq's, celebrations, etc, I think I did pretty well.

I definitely could have done some things better though. I let myself fall into the thinking of "oh screw it, I'm on a trip, I can ease up a bit." And to an extent, I agree with that. But my "easing up" got a little bit worse as the days went by. At first it was a blob of potato salad on my plate. By the last bbq, I had blobs of potato salad, beans, and one or two (or three, hehe) extra ribs. So yes, I'm not happy with that. I'm not a diet purist, by any means, I think that to maintain this lifestyle there will have to be little splurges along the way that I can't beat myself up over. However, I CAN NOT allow myself to slip into the mentality of thinking it's okay frequently. So I had a good eye opener of how easy it is to revert back to the eat-whatever-I-want mode, and I will know to be on top of it.

I did do some things well though. I had maybe 3 or 4 beers over the whole trip. I love beer, lol. But I was able to say no because the calories just weren't worth it to me. Same with several other things like funnel cake and such, but ice cold glorious beer was a constant temptation, lol. So while I did slip more than I am happy with, it could have been a lot worse.

Travelling is hard, lesson learned. Being out of my routine, my kitchen, away from the foods that I'm comfortable eating everyday, not weighing everyday, and being around constant temptation is hard. It was a good challenge for a new maintainer, and I'm decently happy with how I handled it. I learned a few lessons, and I'm even more positive that being thin and healthy and saying no to junk is SO much better than fat and eating whatever I want. Even if it is tough sometimes.

Aaaaaaaaand, as many of you know since I wrote a thread about it in 20-somethings but some of you may not.....I'M ENGAGED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This photo pretty much sums up the gloriousness of my trip, haha.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I am soo happy for you!!!!!!!!!
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

on the engagment!

And I think a measly 1 lb gain over a 2-week vacation/romantic reunion/engagement celebration is also worth some props!

ETA: Amazing picture!!!

Last edited by thesame7lbs; 08-02-2010 at 02:24 PM.
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:23 PM   #4  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

Man, seriously! What she said!

I went on a month long trip to visit my sweetie six months ago and I gained like 5 pounds...... ON TOP of contracting a lovely ole parasite (he lives in India) that made me use the bathroom about 15 times a day! LOL

You did great! And congrats!
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #5  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

That is one glorious photo to celebrate a wonderful time in your life! Good job on doing good enough to keep things on track. And, best wishes on the occasion of your engagement.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #6  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I love the picture!
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:56 PM   #7  
Don't want to be so tired

S/C/G: 150/145/125

Height: 5-4

Wow ~ you look so cute and thats a great picture! Kudos to you on maintaining the weight! and congratulations on engagement!

Last edited by tiredalways; 08-02-2010 at 04:57 PM.
tiredalways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:55 PM   #8  
Carol

S/C/G: 172/159/140

Congratulations on your engagement -- what a beautiful photo!
Also kudos on doing so well on your trip. I would say you handled it near darn perfect!
You are an inspiration to us all!
Cglasscock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:13 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

Good job! You look absolutely gorgeous!
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:18 AM   #10  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

Height: 5'7"

Wow, I'm so happy for you.

And for a two week trip, you did GREAT! Don't feel guilty. You're so self aware, this is just another experience for you to add to your arsenal of knowledge for what to do next time.

And you look great. Wowwwww. Congrats, on every front.
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:45 AM   #11  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Congrats to you for not only maintaining but on your engagement! How exciting for you! When is the big day? Aren't you glad you took care of this weight before the wedding? No crazy weight loss schemes to try to fit in your gown---excellent!
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:26 AM   #12  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Thanks so much, everyone. I'm absolutely thrilled about being engaged (even though wedding planning is stressing me the HECK out). I couldn't have found a more wonderful, loving, and supportive guy.

But yes, I'm decently proud of myself for the trip. I am also pleased at how easy it was to jump right back on plan and into my usual routine. I was actually quite relieved and satisfied to be eating my healthy foods and not surrounded by junk food. Sure, I love me some beer 'n burgers. But I do not love the feeling of temptation, the "naughty" feeling of eating something I know isn't good for me, and the guilt afterwards. I'm all for a splurge meal once in awhile, but it was tiring to be around constant junk food for two weeks. I'd much rather have a grilled chicken breast and salad and feel good and guilt-free about what I'm eating than have a plate full of the most delicious junk food.

And carlyjordan, that is one of my big concerns about him coming home from the deployment. That it will be harder to stay in my healthy routine and maintain my weight while starting a new life with him. Fortunately, he's also fairly health conscious and works out daily and likes healthy food. So that's something that I'm looking forward to finally sharing with him. Before he left, when I was still big, he would always want me to go to the gym or go running with him and I'd always decline. Now he gets to be my personal trainer (hehe...I could have fun with this) and I'll get to feed both of us healthy food. I've made my concerns about sticking with my healthy lifestyle very clear to him, and he has assured me that he doesn't care if I'm big or small he just wants me to be happy and comfortable and will support me in any way. So yes, still concerned, but at least he has my back on it
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:35 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 182/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4''

WOW! Firstly, many congrats on the engagement!
Secondly, I think you deserve several hearty pats on the back for the maintainance - well done you!!! I hope I have your drive one day...
xx
abidabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:08 PM   #14  
Lose the holiday lbs!

S/C/G: 174/163.8/150

Height: 5.7 ft

Congratulations! wow that's a beautifil picture. and you look amazing!!! you guys make such a gorgeous couple! congrats on the weight loss! truly inspiring !!
Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:01 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

WTG. Traveling does not need to be a food free for all as you have so beautifully shown.
Karen
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote