General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #1  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

Default Does anyone else own parrots/ birds?

I am wondering who here has pet birds. I am a bird nut As an allergy sufferer to fury things ( I do have one small dog), I bought a little blue budgie years ago thinking I would give birds a try as a pet. I fell in love with this little guy. He had a 30 word vocabulary, rang like the phone and gave kisses. He has since passed from a tumor. I really miss him . I moved on to cockatiels. I had one dear boy for three years until he had a seizure and passed away. By this point, I was devastated and felt kind of cursed with my pets. I took one more chance and bought Ziggy, my green cheek conure a year ago. He is the love of my life. I have had him since he was a hatchling and he is such a dear. He lays in my hand and falls asleep. He is learning to talk which is not that common for green cheeks. I spoil him rotten. I will post a picture of him.
My reason for posting is because I am opening my heart and home to another fid (feathered kid). We have the chance to adopt a congo African grey at a reasonalbe price ($900 with cage and toys). I have been seeking one for years. Of all the bird species, greys and my absolute favorite and I have had a dream to own one for so long. My sweet boy will be joining us Friday. This will be his third, and final, home in his three years. He is friendly and so intelligent. I just can't wait!

Ziggy at 4 months old

Tiki, picture by current owner
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:18 PM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

I read this with my little quaker parrot Gizmo on my shoulder.

He was bought at a pet store by a father as a present for his 6 year old son. That... well, did not work out well at all. They got sick of him and released him outside; a woman who is a work colleague of my sister-in-law lived in the neighborhood, caught him, and found out the story. She gave him to my sister-in-law, who kept him for around a year, but just didn't have enough time to devote to playing with him, so that's how I ended up with him! He's a sweety, but his personality is definitely very dominant and we're still working on "no biting!", but we're making huge progress.

I also have a cockatiel, another unwanted pet case. Anthony is a very loud and aggressive bird, but with careful attention and lots of time he's settled down and, while still very uncuddly, is much happier and friendlier.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:24 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 252/235.6/150

Height: 5'5

I have 2 cockatiels and a cockatoo that I love very much. My aunt is a huge bird love and owns several parrots, which I am, apparently, going to inherit when she gets too old.
ubercast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #4  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

aww, that's great. Birds are so complex and rewarding as pets. My grey has settled nicely and he is such a clown LOL.
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Awww, so cute!
I used to have 2 Gouldian Finches and I MISS THEM!

Last edited by Jenteal; 08-01-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Jenteal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:52 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

So cute!
We used to have an African Grey named Eric , but sadly he passed away quite young They're fascinating creatures though.
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote